Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds disable Manny Parra, reinstate Sean Marshall

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Reds disable Manny Parra, reinstate Sean Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I believe the actual diagnosis was acute suckiness.
    I think it would be chronic -with an outbreak of acute
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

That 4 weeks of pitching cost (say it like Dr. Evil) 1 million dollars
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

So, can this Marshall guy hit?

5. Likes:

wlf WV (04-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    So, can this Marshall guy hit?
    he had some decent years

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Have we heard any updates on Parra?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Yep, he still sucks.

Seriously though, he'll be starting a rehab stint this week. How long is unknown.

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I anticipate him doing the entire 30 day rehab in the minors to buy some time, and for him to work on his pitching.
    Just a guess on my part.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I anticipate him doing the entire 30 day rehab in the minors to buy some time, and for him to work on his pitching.
    Just a guess on my part.
    I hear they're focusing on him being able to throw strikes.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Just a guess on my part.
    I don't think he'll be back soon, he's still got some pretty bad inflammation in his ERA.

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-13-2013),BCubb2003 (05-13-2013),NebraskaRed (05-13-2013),RadfordVA (05-13-2013),RichRed (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don't think he'll be back soon, he's still got some pretty bad inflammation in his ERA.
    That is true.
    This move buys them a 30 day window in case the pitching staff goes through another rash of injuries.

Honestly, since Parra's contract is guaranteed anyhow, it would not be a bad idea to keep juggling him on and off the DL all year. If they could have Parra on the DL when the playoff rosters are set, doesn't that open up a pitching slot on the playoff roster that maybe Cingrani could slide into? That's pretty much what they did with Bray and Negron last year -- there were other DL slots, but those guys were pretty much used as placeholders for substitutions.

Anyhow, the point is.. would be nice to let Cingrani finish the year at AAA, bring him up when rosters expand, and then have him as a lefty out of the pen during the playoffs. Cingrani is probably more useful out of the pen in the playoffs than Logan or Simon.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Parra is definitely one of Jocketty's most questionable and puzzling signings in his tenure as Reds GM. The guy is a major project and not really ready to help the Reds now and make their bullpen better. I repeat...he does not make the bullpen better. Jocketty needs either figure out a way to keep him in AAA a while to work out things and keep as depth or admit he made a mistake and cut bait with him.

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    Parra is definitely one of Jocketty's most questionable and puzzling signings in his tenure as Reds GM. The guy is a major project and not really ready to help the Reds now and make their bullpen better. I repeat...he does not make the bullpen better. Jocketty needs either figure out a way to keep him in AAA a while to work out things and keep as depth or admit he made a mistake and cut bait with him.
    I think Walt did ok in signing Parra. He showed some promise as a reliever last year. Pitching depth is important and with guys like Parra and Arredondo around, the Reds have some flexibility in the bullpen.

Despite all the "how many options" talk around here, there hasn't been much difficulty getting guys at Parra's level through waivers down to AAA.

The key IMO is whether teams get so wedded to a guy they won't send him down or disable him. In the Reds' case, they were willing to disable Parra when they needed roster room. It would be much worse if they insisted on keeping him on the roster when not doing well.

Like I said, I am OK in keeping Parra as a "minor league depth guy" but nothing more than that. Until he shows some consistent success as a reliever, he is not deserving of a bullpen spot with the Reds. He did not show that in spring training or in the 2013 season thus far.

Sean Marshall hasn't pitched since may 8th. Hopefully the rest is allowing him to be fully healthy when he does pitch again.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Sean Marshall hasn't pitched since may 8th. Hopefully the rest is allowing him to be fully healthy when he does pitch again.
    Has Marshall been injured again?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?