Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade idea for LF

Re: Trade idea for LF

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Right. Which means they should have no problem trading Denorfia.
    Denorfia has been an above average bat and glove as a major leager while largely spending his career in pitchers parks. He's also cheap.

He's the least of the Padres' concerns because he's part of their solution.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-27-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

HokieRed (04-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Padres could certainly use starting pitching and Villareal might be a good match for them. Extremely good control, a little too hittable perhaps, particularly for one of the smaller ball parks, might play very well in Petco. I wonder if they'd listen to him for Deno, or how we'd feel about that.

Heisey and Villareal for Deno? I'd do it. Doubt the Padres would. Perhaps throwing in Arredondo would work. Sharky Rogers? Kyle Lotzkar?

If the Reds are going to make a deal, it's the only kind of deal they could probably do. We're selling low on Heisey though, and its probably too early to actually do anything. I'm still guessing they sit tight until Ludwick's status clarifies.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Heisey and Villareal for Deno? I'd do it. Doubt the Padres would. Perhaps throwing in Arredondo would work. Sharky Rogers? Kyle Lotzkar?

If the Reds are going to make a deal, it's the only kind of deal they could probably do. We're selling low on Heisey though, and its probably too early to actually do anything. I'm still guessing they sit tight until Ludwick's status clarifies.
    I suspect you're right about what we'll do. But here are the K/W ratios for the first 4 Padre starters listed on their depth chart": 12/10, 15/10, 15/10, 9/11. They're not going anywhere with that array; Villareal could be a serious upgrade for them.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm not sure that Denoforia is the right target, but dealing away pitchers is the wrong trade chip IMO. We've got several position player starters who are locked up long term....I'd start looking to deal the AAA/AA prospects who are blocked. Neftali Soto, Henry Rodriguez, Donald Lutz come to mind immediately. Phillips & Votto aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm not sure that Denoforia is the right target, but dealing away pitchers is the wrong trade chip IMO. We've got several position player starters who are locked up long term....I'd start looking to deal the AAA/AA prospects who are blocked. Neftali Soto, Henry Rodriguez, Donald Lutz come to mind immediately. Phillips & Votto aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Serious question: is there a major league regular among Soto, Rodriguez, and Lutz?

Agreed.

I'd still like to think a non contending team with a pending FA would be willing to take one or more of them. I continue to think Morse from the Mariners would be a nice fit.

If you want to go into fantasy land, what would the Rangers be tempted to do for a half season rental of Nelson Cruz?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Serious question: is there a major league regular among Soto, Rodriguez, and Lutz?
    Right this minute? No. But Rodriguez is very close, and Lutz will be next year.

Well, I wouldn't deal Cingrani or Leake or anyone in the rotation. I wouldn't deal Chapman, Broxton, Marshall, Hoover or Lecure. I wouldn't deal Corcino or Stephenson or Travieso. I'd resist dealing Contreras, Cisco, or Romano, but dealng some third tier prospects in a package for a jurneyman OF who might fit a need isn't bad. Rogers, Guillon, Lotzkar, Ravin, Partch, Villareal, Simon, Ondrusek, Christiani, etc, sure I'd deal them.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-27-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Right this minute? No. But Rodriguez is very close, and Lutz will be next year.
    Rodriguez has about 300 AB's of sub .600 OPS at AAA; Lutz, at 24, has about 225 Double AA AB's at around .300 OBP and roughly .750 OPS. Neither is outstanding defensively. Because I love the Reds, I hope the two of them become all stars, but neither is, IMHO, anywhere close to being a major league everyday player.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Denorfia has been an above average bat and glove as a major leager while largely spending his career in pitchers parks. He's also cheap.

He's the least of the Padres' concerns because he's part of their solution.
    He has been with the Padres for three plus seasons and has never cracked the starting lineup. He has been unable to beat out Tony Gwynn jr., Scott Hairtson, a slumping Ryan Ludwick, Will Venable, and Cameron Maybin.

He's a nice 4th outfielder whose 32 and makes $4.25M over the next two seasons. That's not cheap. That's full market value for a backup.

The solution to the Padres's problems is young talent that can start, not old bench players, no matter how good they are. There is no way that Denorfia is in the Padres long term plans. There is no reason for the Padres to turn down any offer for him that brings them back any type of prospect.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't deal Cingrani or Leake or anyone in the rotation. I wouldn't deal Chapman, Broxton, Marshall, Hoover or Lecure. I wouldn't deal Corcino or Stephenson or Travieso. I'd resist dealing Contreras, Cisco, or Romano, but dealng some third tier prospects in a package for a jurneyman OF who might fit a need isn't bad. Rogers, Guillon, Lotzkar, Ravin, Partch, Villareal, Simon, Ondrusek, Christiani, etc, sure I'd deal them.
    As add-on's, sure. But some of those guys I'd resist dealing.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He has been with the Padres for three plus seasons and has never cracked the starting lineup. He has been unable to beat out Tony Gwynn jr., Scott Hairtson, a slumping Ryan Ludwick, Will Venable, and Cameron Maybin.

He's a nice 4th outfielder whose 32 and makes $4.25M over the next two seasons. That's not cheap. That's full market value for a backup.

The solution to the Padres's problems is young talent that can start, not old bench players, no matter how good they are. There is no way that Denorfia is in the Padres long term plans. There is no reason for the Padres to turn down any offer for him that brings them back any type of prospect.
    Agree, Deno probably isn't in the long term plans of the Padres.

But he's a nice ballplayer and I don't see them giving him away. They have to field a representative team.

It would probably take a pretty good prospect to get Deno, not a top prospect, but a pretty good one along, perhaps, with a more secondary prospect.

It's possible by the trade deadline in late July they will be in fire sale mode and you might get Deno cheaper. Of course, by then, the Reds may have set the world's record for getting 1-hit in a season.

As add-on's, sure. But some of those guys I'd resist dealing.
    The Reds are deep in mop-up men. If throwing an Arredondo and a Villareal in a deal could net a major league caliber OF, even a part-timer, I'd do it. The Clean-up hitter (Ludwick) is out for a long while. The 4th OF (Heisey) is now playiing too much and is over-exposed (and may be hurt now). The 5th OF (Paul) is now playing quite a bit and is a minor league journeyman. The guy they added to the roster is a minor league cast-off who a long suffering organization had no room for. There isn't any OF help in sight.

I have serious doubts that there are any deals to be had, but if this team can add a mjor league caliber player without giving-up any of its primary players (or primary role players) or top prospects, they should do it. Secondary or third prospects are fair game.

Lack of a bat in LF is starting to affect the Reds' offense. If we get deep into May and the same stuff is happeing, I think the Reds will need to start seriously considering a move.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?