Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trade idea for LF

Re: Trade idea for LF

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He has been with the Padres for three plus seasons and has never cracked the starting lineup. He has been unable to beat out Tony Gwynn jr., Scott Hairtson, a slumping Ryan Ludwick, Will Venable, and Cameron Maybin.

He's a nice 4th outfielder whose 32 and makes $4.25M over the next two seasons. That's not cheap. That's full market value for a backup.

The solution to the Padres's problems is young talent that can start, not old bench players, no matter how good they are. There is no way that Denorfia is in the Padres long term plans. There is no reason for the Padres to turn down any offer for him that brings them back any type of prospect.
    There is no way the Padres give him away.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Lack of a bat in LF is starting to affect the Reds' offense. If we get deep into May and the same stuff is happeing, I think the Reds will need to start seriously considering a move.
    I think one thing some of us (myself included) overlook is the nature of the LF position, the position that is now unfilled by the Reds.

LF is almost entirely an offensive position. You can justify Cozart at SS because it's a premium position which he fields very well. You can excuse getting less production from a good defensive catcher. Not preferable, but understandable.

A good MLB team cannot get zero production from left field. It's probably the single position in baseball that is almost entirely offensive. Even RF usually requires a superior throwing arm. First basemen have many more defensive chances, although some routine.

I'm not too upset, the Reds have a murderous April schedule in many ways.

But make no mistake, the use of Heisey in LF has impaired the offense of this team. Ludwick's injury is nobody's fault, but IMO either they have to give XMan a full tryout in left, or they have to trade for somebody. It matters.

5. Likes:

757690 (04-27-2013),HokieRed (04-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is no way the Padres give him away.
    Of course not. But they can't demand much for him either.

They don't need him to finish last, he's too old to be part of their future, and no other contender is going to make any kind of offer for him. I think they would jump at an offer of a minor league bullpen arm and salary relief for him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Of course not. But they can't demand much for him either.

They don't need him to finish last, he's too old to be part of their future, and no other contender is going to make any kind of offer for him. I think they would jump at an offer of a minor league bullpen arm and salary relief for him.
    No they wouldn't because he's not expensive and he's useful.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

No they wouldn't because he's not expensive and he's useful.
    Useful to what end? Last place?

I think they'd be pretty willing to trade him. He's 32 and has been a reserve outfielder most of his career.

I don't think they'd give him away. But in no way would it take a top prospect either. If it would, they can keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Useful to what end? Last place?

I think they'd be pretty willing to trade him. He's 32 and has been a reserve outfielder most of his career.

I don't think they'd give him away. But in no way would it take a top prospect either. If it would, they can keep him.
    If they don't need a major league quality position player why do they need a bullpen arm?

If they don't need a major league quality position player why do they need a bullpen arm?
    If the arm is five to ten years younger. The key is that Denorfia is 32 and the Padres are years away from contending.

I just can't imagine at anytime in the next few years, the Padres saying, "if only we has kept Denorfia."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Lack of a bat in LF is starting to affect the Reds' offense. If we get deep into May and the same stuff is happeing, I think the Reds will need to start seriously considering a move.
    I think the lack of bat in RF is more of an issue than in LF right now.

If the arm is five to ten years younger. The key is that Denorfia is 32 and the Padres are years away from contending.

I just can't imagine at anytime in the next few years, the Padres saying, "if only we has kept Denorfia."
    They might engage in a fire sale at the trade deadline, the Padres.

But they will not disassemble their team in April or May. They have a fan base, they aren't going to give up in the springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    They might engage in a fire sale at the trade deadline, the Padres.

But they will not disassemble their team in April or May. They have a fan base, they aren't going to give up in the springtime.
    Trading Denorfia isn't part of a fire sale. It's smart roster management of a team years away from contending.

I doubt anyone in San Diego is going to games to watch Denorfia, nor will any stop going to games because the Padres traded Denorfia.

Trading Denorfia isn't part of a fire sale. It's smart roster management of a team years away from contending.

I doubt anyone in San Diego is going to games to watch Denorfia, nor will any stop going to games because the Padres traded Denorfia.
    It's a silly argument to make. The Padres stink so they will trade away a cheap, major league quality position player that has no real trade value. Why? Well no one will miss him and I guess young, unestablished bullpen arms are high on their list of things that will make them contenders.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's a silly argument to make. The Padres stink so they will trade away a cheap, major league quality position player that has no real trade value. Why? Well no one will miss him and I guess young, unestablished bullpen arms are high on their list of things that will make them contenders.
    There's nothing silly about it.

Teams that are going nowhere regularly make trades to improve their team FOR THE FUTURE.

Denorfia is an extra outfielder and is 32 years old. You act like he's some kind of building block for a championship team this year or next year. He's not.

The Padres need many young, new pieces to rebuild.

The Reds may only need one piece short term.

Teams that are going nowhere regularly make trades to improve their team FOR THE FUTURE.

Denorfia is an extra outfielder and is 32 years old. You act like he's some kind of building block for a championship team this year or next year. He's not.

We've just been told how little trade value Denoria has....trading him isn't likely to improve anything. It's a strange argument.

Funny thing is, that actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Denorfia has zero true value for the Padres, since he will be retired by the time they contend. Getting something that does has value for them, a young prospect who might be able to contribute if and when they do contend, makes perfect sense.

Denorfia is not a building block. He's a $2 million per year competent outfielder who can help cover the position for now.

The Padres, if you look, have nine players earning more than Deno, some much more. If they want to dump salary, I'd think they would start with the $5,7, and 9 million contracts they have.

Now - they would gladly trade Deno if they get back a good prospect for the future. But the thesis of some is that the Reds can get him for C level minor leaguers and a bucket of baseballs. I doubt it.

Seems to me Deno is the kind of guys a rebuilding team keeps to provide some veteran leadership on the club. There are more big ticket guys they could dump.

Turn Off Ads?