Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 100

Thread: Trade idea for LF

  1. #61
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Since when do teams trade quality players for no reason?
    When they are years away from contending and the player is 32. Happens many times every year and has since the game has been played.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,634

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You still haven't explained why I'm wrong, so I'll try to explain it another way.

    I agree with Billy Beane. Either you're contending or you're rebuilding. It makes no sense to be anything inbetween. The Padres clearly should've rebuilding. Keeping Denorfia would be continuing to be inbetween.

    And I'm not saying the Padres should be willing to make themselves worse just because. They should take a commodity that currently has zero value to them and turn it into one that does.
    I've explained why you're wrong three times now.

    Your whole argument rests on two premises. First, the Padres have a shortage of major league quality players so they should give away players instead of busying themselves with populating their 25 man roter with as many major league quality players as possible. Second, Denorfia is little more than freely available talent.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  4. #63
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    When they are years away from contending and the player is 32. Happens many times every year and has since the game has been played.
    No one ever gives up useful players for nothing. It literally does not happen.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  5. #64
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No one ever gives up useful players for nothing. It literally does not happen.
    No one said the Padres should trade him for nothing. The debate is whether they should trade him for low level prospects or keep him.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  6. #65
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    No one said the Padres should trade him for nothing. The debate is whether they should trade him for low level prospects or keep him.
    Keep him, no doubt. He's arguably a starting caliber player. Those are worth a thing or two in baseball. If they don't get a real offer, they have no reason to trade him.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  7. #66
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've explained why you're wrong three times now.

    Your whole argument rests on two premises. First, the Padres have a shortage of major league quality players so they should give away players instead of busying themselves with populating their 25 man roter with as many major league quality players as possible. Second, Denorfia is little more than freely available talent.
    But it make zero sense, if you are years away from contending, to populate your roster with 32 year old players. Period. No matter how good they are. The only reason to possible keep them is if they sell tickets. I seriously doubt that anyone, outside of his family, has ever bought a ticket to an MLB game in order to see Chris Denorfia play.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  8. #67
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Keep him, no doubt. He's arguably a starting caliber player. Those are worth a thing or two in baseball. If they don't get a real offer, they have no reason to trade him.
    They have no real reason to keep him either, considering he's 32. If they can get something that will help them in the future, they should take it.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  9. #68
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,634

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But it make zero sense, if you are years away from contending, to populate your roster with 32 year old players. Period. No matter how good they are. The only reason to possible keep them is if they sell tickets. I seriously doubt that anyone, outside of his family, has ever bought a ticket to an MLB game in order to see Chris Denorfia play.
    A reason to buy a major league ticket could be to see major leaguers play.

    That makes perfect sense.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  10. #69
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,048

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Keep him to get closer to the trading deadline. Hope to get a desperate team. It's not a genius move. Nobody is desperate in April.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  11. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They have no real reason to keep him either, considering he's 32. If they can get something that will help them in the future, they should take it.


    You've now said what, I think, most of us have been saying all along.

    The Padres would trade Deno, but would want a meaningful prospect in return. As you say, "something that will help them in the future."

    On to the next subject, hopefully.

  12. #71
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Padres traded Denorfia, he would be replaced by Cameron Maybin. I don't think anyone would notice, nor care.

    The Reds did suffer a big injury and should be willing to pay about what Denorfia would get at the trade deadline right now. No team is going to ever offer more than some C level prospects for Denorfia. He's Chris Denorfia.
    First, Maybin is the CF. Denorfia and Wil Venable split RF when everyone is healthy.

    Let's say the offer of Guillon and Ryan Lamarre would be enough at the deadline. If the Padres know they can get that at the deadline, why would they deal him sooner unless some team offers more?

    The team dealing for Denorfia would appear to need him more than the Padres would need to deal him. Your premise of non-contending teams dealing off veterans is usually motivated by one of three things:

    1. Dumping a large salary
    2. Clearing a spot for a blocked player who projects to be a building block in a rebuild
    3. Acquiring a player in return with value as a part of a future that comes together down the road.

    In the case of Denorfia,

    1. His Salary is not prohibitive and probably isn't a motivation for dealing him now.
    2. The hot prospect who might be part of the future at Denorfia's position , Rymer Liriano, had Tommy John surgery in February and isn't blocked at the moment.
    3. The return for Denorfia will be available later. If you want to get them to pull the trigger, you'd need to up the ante, because if you don't some other team may have an injury tomorrow and may. Want him? Put Corcino on the table. Of course, then you may be able to do better. If you're going to hold the line at lesser prospects (or suspects), you're going to have to wait until late July.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-27-2013), 757690 (04-28-2013)

  14. #72
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    This thread makes me want to break into my neighbor's house and steal all his baking soda.

    The outcomes of both endeavors would be equally as pointless.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  15. Likes:

    Superdude (04-28-2013), Trajinous (05-10-2013)

  16. #73
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    This thread makes me want to break into my neighbor's house and steal all his baking soda.

    The outcomes of both endeavors would be equally as pointless.
    So don't read it. Only a fool would spend his time doing something he considers pointless.

    Pretty much anything discussed on this forum doesn't matter or have any effect on anything and as a result is pointless. We discuss because we want to. No one's twisting your arm to participate or read any of it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  17. Likes:

    JohnCocktoasten (04-29-2013)

  18. #74
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,955

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So don't read it. Only a fool would spend his time doing something he considers pointless.

    Pretty much anything discussed on this forum doesn't matter or have any effect on anything and as a result is pointless. We discuss because we want to. No one's twisting your arm to participate or read any of it.
    Lol. I'm stuck in the house this Saturday night, sitting a sick dog, and needed something to pass the time. Thank God for Reds Zone, otherwise, I'd be forced to watch The Voice with the girlfriend.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  19. #75
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,779

    Re: Trade idea for LF

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But it make zero sense, if you are years away from contending, to populate your roster with 32 year old players. Period. No matter how good they are. The only reason to possible keep them is if they sell tickets. I seriously doubt that anyone, outside of his family, has ever bought a ticket to an MLB game in order to see Chris Denorfia play.
    This all makes sense until you realize most people don't want to follow a sport where half the teams blatantly don't care about winning games. The Padres aren't the Astros, and that's a positive thing.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25