Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trade idea for LF

Re: Trade idea for LF

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Since when do teams trade quality players for no reason?
    When they are years away from contending and the player is 32. Happens many times every year and has since the game has been played.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You still haven't explained why I'm wrong, so I'll try to explain it another way.

I agree with Billy Beane. Either you're contending or you're rebuilding. It makes no sense to be anything inbetween. The Padres clearly should've rebuilding. Keeping Denorfia would be continuing to be inbetween.

And I'm not saying the Padres should be willing to make themselves worse just because. They should take a commodity that currently has zero value to them and turn it into one that does.
    I've explained why you're wrong three times now.

Your whole argument rests on two premises. First, the Padres have a shortage of major league quality players so they should give away players instead of busying themselves with populating their 25 man roter with as many major league quality players as possible. Second, Denorfia is little more than freely available talent.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

When they are years away from contending and the player is 32. Happens many times every year and has since the game has been played.
    No one ever gives up useful players for nothing. It literally does not happen.

No one ever gives up useful players for nothing. It literally does not happen.
    No one said the Padres should trade him for nothing. The debate is whether they should trade him for low level prospects or keep him.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

No one said the Padres should trade him for nothing. The debate is whether they should trade him for low level prospects or keep him.
    Keep him, no doubt. He's arguably a starting caliber player. Those are worth a thing or two in baseball. If they don't get a real offer, they have no reason to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've explained why you're wrong three times now.

Your whole argument rests on two premises. First, the Padres have a shortage of major league quality players so they should give away players instead of busying themselves with populating their 25 man roter with as many major league quality players as possible. Second, Denorfia is little more than freely available talent.
    But it make zero sense, if you are years away from contending, to populate your roster with 32 year old players. Period. No matter how good they are. The only reason to possible keep them is if they sell tickets. I seriously doubt that anyone, outside of his family, has ever bought a ticket to an MLB game in order to see Chris Denorfia play.

Keep him, no doubt. He's arguably a starting caliber player. Those are worth a thing or two in baseball. If they don't get a real offer, they have no reason to trade him.
    They have no real reason to keep him either, considering he's 32. If they can get something that will help them in the future, they should take it.

But it make zero sense, if you are years away from contending, to populate your roster with 32 year old players. Period. No matter how good they are. The only reason to possible keep them is if they sell tickets. I seriously doubt that anyone, outside of his family, has ever bought a ticket to an MLB game in order to see Chris Denorfia play.
    A reason to buy a major league ticket could be to see major leaguers play.

That makes perfect sense.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Keep him to get closer to the trading deadline. Hope to get a desperate team. It's not a genius move. Nobody is desperate in April.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

They have no real reason to keep him either, considering he's 32. If they can get something that will help them in the future, they should take it.

You've now said what, I think, most of us have been saying all along.

The Padres would trade Deno, but would want a meaningful prospect in return. As you say, "something that will help them in the future."

On to the next subject, hopefully.

If the Padres traded Denorfia, he would be replaced by Cameron Maybin. I don't think anyone would notice, nor care.

The Reds did suffer a big injury and should be willing to pay about what Denorfia would get at the trade deadline right now. No team is going to ever offer more than some C level prospects for Denorfia. He's Chris Denorfia.
    First, Maybin is the CF. Denorfia and Wil Venable split RF when everyone is healthy.

Let's say the offer of Guillon and Ryan Lamarre would be enough at the deadline. If the Padres know they can get that at the deadline, why would they deal him sooner unless some team offers more?

The team dealing for Denorfia would appear to need him more than the Padres would need to deal him. Your premise of non-contending teams dealing off veterans is usually motivated by one of three things:

1. Dumping a large salary
    2. Clearing a spot for a blocked player who projects to be a building block in a rebuild
    3. Acquiring a player in return with value as a part of a future that comes together down the road.

In the case of Denorfia,

1. His Salary is not prohibitive and probably isn't a motivation for dealing him now.
    2. The hot prospect who might be part of the future at Denorfia's position , Rymer Liriano, had Tommy John surgery in February and isn't blocked at the moment.
    3. The return for Denorfia will be available later. If you want to get them to pull the trigger, you'd need to up the ante, because if you don't some other team may have an injury tomorrow and may. Want him? Put Corcino on the table. Of course, then you may be able to do better. If you're going to hold the line at lesser prospects (or suspects), you're going to have to wait until late July.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-27-2013),757690 (04-28-2013)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

This thread makes me want to break into my neighbor's house and steal all his baking soda.

The outcomes of both endeavors would be equally as pointless.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

15. Likes:

Superdude (04-28-2013),Trajinous (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    This thread makes me want to break into my neighbor's house and steal all his baking soda.

The outcomes of both endeavors would be equally as pointless.
    So don't read it. Only a fool would spend his time doing something he considers pointless.

Pretty much anything discussed on this forum doesn't matter or have any effect on anything and as a result is pointless. We discuss because we want to. No one's twisting your arm to participate or read any of it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

JohnCocktoasten (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So don't read it. Only a fool would spend his time doing something he considers pointless.

Pretty much anything discussed on this forum doesn't matter or have any effect on anything and as a result is pointless. We discuss because we want to. No one's twisting your arm to participate or read any of it.
    Lol. I'm stuck in the house this Saturday night, sitting a sick dog, and needed something to pass the time. Thank God for Reds Zone, otherwise, I'd be forced to watch The Voice with the girlfriend.

This all makes sense until you realize most people don't want to follow a sport where half the teams blatantly don't care about winning games. The Padres aren't the Astros, and that's a positive thing.

Turn Off Ads?