Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade idea for LF

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Trade idea for LF

I'm not crazy about this trade idea, but I like some aspects of it.

Reds trade Chris Heisey and a prospect to San Diego for Chris Denorfia.

Denorfia makes $2M in 2013 and $2.25M in 2014. FA in 2015.

We have a thread debating batting Cozart second because of his career .283 OBP and overall lack of hitting.

Denorfia has a career .345 OBP, .283 batting average, and .762 OPS. He's righthanded and could bat second, maintaining Dusty's LH (Choo), RH (Denorfia), LH (Votto), RH (BP), etc. You could still interchange Paul occasionally. I believe Heisey is arbitration eligible again next season and he almost never walks.

Improvement? Could be in terms of getting on base.

You do lose power off the bench. But I think it helps the starting offense.

It's really a trade of potential power (Heisey) for more hitting and on-base stability.

What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade idea for LF

Denorfia 2.0 for The OD (Original Deno)?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Denorfia 2.0 for The OD (Original Deno)?
    Denorfia is Randy Winn 2.0
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    I would definitely do it, why would San Diego though?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I like it better if its Heisey for Deno straight up. Heisey is much younger, with more pop in his bat, no prospect is needed, IMO.

Deno was one of my favorites, never got a decent shot here. Has turned out to be an excellent 4th OF. Denorfia is not a starter on a contending team.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I would definitely do it, why would San Diego though?
    Because they're going nowhere. Denorfia is 32. I believe Heisey is 28 or 29.

Padres in last place and will be most of the season.

San Diego isn't going to give away a cheap, major league calibre starting position player.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Denorfia is a good idea, it is discussed extensively in the LF thread. Padres would want quite a bit in return.

Good God

"Denorfia" and "(Team A) would want quite a bit in return" should never be in the same sentence.

12. Likes:

cincyinco (04-27-2013)

Also have a hard time believing the Padres would do that deal but, without any trade, doesn't it at least make sense for now to at least give Paul the wheel in LF and keep Heisey on the bench?
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    San Diego isn't going to give away a cheap, major league calibre starting position player.
    Right. Which means they should have no problem trading Denorfia.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Denorfia is a good idea, it is discussed extensively in the LF thread. Padres would want quite a bit in return.
    Why would they want much in return?

They finish last with or without him, he's not part of the future, he's expensive for a bench player, and he's not stating for any contending team. He's a fourth outfielder who can be part of a platoon.

I doubt they want Heisey, but better players have been traded for a couple of C level prospects.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    "Denorfia" and "(Team A) would want quite a bit in return" should never be in the same sentence.
    How about a sentence that says the following: "The Padres are not a Reds farm team, Denorfia is not a very expensive player, he has a reasonable contract through next season, he is versatile and hitting well, they have no reason to trade him to the Reds unless they get a solid prospect in return."

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Right. Which means they should have no problem trading Denorfia.
    .800+ career OPS away from PETCO. .792 OPS vs RHP away from PETCO. At least average OF defense.

Sounds like a major league starter to me.

Turn Off Ads?