Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OF trade idea

OF trade idea

I know it's premature, but if cingrani continues his success would the Reds consider moving a starter for outfield help? I know the Rockies started hot but the idea of trading for dexter fowler was around this winter. They were looking for top pitching for him. Would anyone do bailey or maybe even cueto for the guy? He'd give the reds legit centerfield defense a legit two hitter and an insurance policy if choo could not be signed after the season. Honestly I would consider cueto straight up. He's great but I think talentwise he's maxed out where I see bailey getting better and better. Any thoughts? I know I'm going to get a few I'm crazies and this isn't a video game but I think I'd rather talk about something intriguing than arguing about a hypothetical trade for career backup denorfia.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OF trade idea

I'm assuming that a package with leake was offered this off season so I'm not considering it.

I wouldn't trade cueto for fowler, it would help offensively, but that leaves u with no depth on pitching. I probably wouldn't trade cueto, Latos or bailey right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyredway View Post
    I wouldn't trade cueto for fowler, it would help offensively, but that leaves u with no depth on pitching. I probably wouldn't trade cueto, Latos or bailey right now.
    I wouldn't "want" (like jumping out of my shoes at the proposal) to but if the 2 spot continues to be dead and choos defense remains suspect I may consider it. I think it'd be a slight overpay for the reds.

I wonder if the reds would consider going after Jose Bautista, I don't think the jays will hang in there in the east, and he may b available. Wonder what it would take to get him.

I wonder if the reds would consider going after Jose Bautista, I don't think the jays will hang in there in the east, and he may b available. Wonder what it would take to get him.
    Part of me says his best years are behind him. But if the deal was right I'd do it but I don't think I'd give any of our top three starters. Another guy that could be a fit is rios from the white sox. Good power. Good obp. Low K

No I wouldn't give up our top 3 starters or cingrani, just thinking of guys that could become available, and yes I think rios could b a good option.

I still think I like fowler the best of those three. He'd improve the D the lineup and add speed. I think the other two would only improve the lineup, not that that is a bad thing.

Ya I agree about fowler, I just don't see the Rockies trading him, it would take one heck of an offer for them to trade him, but if they did I would love to see fowler as a red.

Yeah. It'd take one heck of an offer. That's why I think it'd have to be cueto or bailey level unless you got Bham involved with leake. On Bautista idk who I'd offer. He seems to me to be able to go either way as a player right now. If somehow he could be acquired I'd consider playing him at third so the option of moving choo from center could be open. Speaking if third basemen what would you think of Michael young? I don't think he'd cost too much as he is old and would be a rental but his bat could easily slot into the 2 or 4 spot.

Michael young maybe, but I would rather just leave Frazier at third. Some other options could b Martin prado, dejesus, Corey hart, if he comes back and brewers don't stay in it, maybe Vernon wells from the yanks, Colby rasmus, and possibly Michael morse from the mariners.

Michael young maybe, but I would rather just leave Frazier at third. Some other options could b Martin prado, dejesus, Corey hart, if he comes back and brewers don't stay in it, maybe Vernon wells from the yanks, Colby rasmus, and possibly Michael morse from the mariners.
    I'd love prado but I think the dbackswont let go. Dejesus i like. For me Rasmus morse strike out too much. We have enough high K guys. As far as Frazier idk if I'm as high on him as everyone else. I like him but I think the two spots on the team that could use defensive improvement are third and center. I'd not just dump him. He does have value but if the right deal came up I'd consider moving him.

pitching wins over offense every time...how many big slugging clubs win it? How many great pitching but offensively challenged clubs have? There are loads of examples of the latter...none I can remenber of the first. Every good hitting team that has won had at least solid pitching if not great. Even the BRM staffs were vastly underrated in their day and were deep in decent quality arms. Trade Leake and lose a starter for a month and who pitches? Galarraga? A Corcino who looks over matched right now? And next year when Arroyo is gone? Only a really unbalanced deal in the Reds favor would make me trade Leake.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 04-30-2013 at 10:50 AM.

15. Likes:

mth123 (05-02-2013),RedsBrick (04-30-2013),texasdave (04-30-2013)

I agree with RLJ...Pitching wins championships. Losing a Cueto, Latos, Bailey would hurt worse than gaining a run producing outfielder would help.

I agree pitching wins over offense the majority of the time. The BRM is a poor example to the contrary bc their pitching was underrated as previously stated. The HUGE qualifier in this proposal would be the if cingrani is for real part and not the second coming of Jack Armstrong. If he still looks effective a few times through the league I'd start considering. As far as I see with our pitching latos and bailey are still improving on their potential whereas cueto is tapped out on his. He'll be great for a few more years but I believe bailey latos cingrani and even leake will continue to improve and it could be argued that latos is and bailey (the two guys id lock up) is close to ace level cueto right now. As far as losing arroyo next year, lets worry about that next year. We have an entire season for prospects to step up (I think corcino will get right he's been rushed up the system). Plus we'd have an entire offseason to bring in other guys and at the trade deadline this year too. Losing cueto would hurt but I think IF cingrani can be for real, then our rotation wouldn't lose much of what it is now and may actually improve as a group as the young pitchers improve. Plus you'd gain an offensive piece that'd improve that side as well. Plus fowlers defense and speed are superior to choos in center and probably superior to Hamilton (in ability not speed) so the overall defensive improvement would help the team as well.

Turn Off Ads?