Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 International Free Agents

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2013 International Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I do agree about $750,000+ being substantial, but I just meant it pales to what Yorman and Duran got.

Though maybe they are a little gun shy about handing out those types of bonuses now?
    They couldn't hand out either of those bonuses this year even if they weren't gun shy. They don't have enough money to put those together with the new pools.

I think they are being cautious, but signing guys that they see as being worth it. I think if they had a chance to sign a guy like Yorman Rodriguez again, and it were in their budget, they would.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I strongly prefer they focus their efforts in the international market on middle infielders. Gleyber Torres is the one guy I'd LOVE to see...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I strongly prefer they focus their efforts in the international market on middle infielders. Gleyber Torres is the one guy I'd LOVE to see...
    Don't get your hopes up.... he probably signs for at least 80% of what the Reds are allowed to spend in total and for a guy as high profile as he is, if the Reds were in on him, we probably would know by now and they haven't been linked at all with him that I have seen.

Baseball America predicted the Reds would just do some modest signings early, then wait till winter before anything big ticket (like this past year with Constante).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't get your hopes up.... he probably signs for at least 80% of what the Reds are allowed to spend in total and for a guy as high profile as he is, if the Reds were in on him, we probably would know by now and they haven't been linked at all with him that I have seen.
    I agree it's highly unlikely although for arguments sake we also had no idea Reds were in on Chapman. If I were running the team, I'd have no problem spending 80% of this years cap on Torres and signing a bunch of other lower tier guys with the remaining 20%. He could be the next Profar or Sano (of course he could be a total washout too).
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-24-2013)

Aaaaaand he signs with the Cubs. Great. First Soler now Torres.
    Go BLUE!!!

I was just going to come post in this thread about something on MLBTradeRumors.com about a trade between the O's and the Cubs because it had the Orioles sending two players "and international bonus money."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...clevenger.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Darn those Cubs! They are always throwing their money around! It is like they just buy the World Series title every year! They should let another team win one year just for the good of the game.

Soler has played solidly so far in the minors but it is not like he is tearing it up or anything.

This is getting interesting - the Cubs traded Ronald Torreyes to the Astros for two more bonus slots. Again from MLBTraderumors.com

The Cubs acquired two of the Astros' international bonus pool slots for minor league second baseman Ronald Torreyes, tweets Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. The Cubs announced they received slots 2 and 3 from the Astros, which amount to $784,700. So far the Cubs' net pool money gain is $963,100 today, bringing their total to $5,520,300 barring more moves. They added $388,100 from the Orioles and sent $209,700 to the Dodgers.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Shouldn't be shocking. The Cubs were the favorites on him all along, as well as several other top 20 guys. They have a lot of money to spend and have been trying to trade for more all along.

The Cubs traded Marmol to the Dodgers for Guerrier.

The news is that the Dodgers also acquired the # 4 slot in the international draft from the Cubs. A sign of the times ?

The new draft rules are intended to level the playing field ( draft pool allotment, cap penalties), but I can see a scenario where small market teams include draft picks as part of trades with large market clubs, or swap picks as part of a trade.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Cards trade Boggs for 2.2 million in cap space to the Rox. Dang, that's a move I'd like the Reds to pull off.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ll-boggs-.html

The Rockies have acquired Mitchell Boggs from the Cardinals in exchange for international bonus slot money, according to announcements from both clubs. The Cards will get int'l slot bonus No. 4, according to Scott Miller of CBSSports.com (on Twitter), which amounts to $2.25MM, according to Baseball America. To make room for Boggs, the Rockies also announced that they have designated right-hander Joe Gardner for assignment.

Boggs, 29, hasn't been sharp in 14 and 2/3 innings this season but has a history of doing much better at the big league level. From 2008 to 2012, the right-hander owns a 3.80 ERA with 6.7 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 fro the Cardinals.

The Cardinals get a significant bump in space to spend on international prospects as they entered the period with just $2.06MM in total, according to BA.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Cards trade Boggs for 2.2 million in cap space to the Rox. Dang, that's a move I'd like the Reds to pull off.

They edited their link to show that Boggs was sold off for around $ 205,000.
    Giving the Cardinals a total of $2.2 million in cap space.

I was still trade guys like maybe Ondrusek, or Arredondo for that though, if another team was willing.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post

I'm glad the Cards made this move.
    Boggs has been an important part of their bullpen for the past 4 years. Not sure what's up with him this year, but if the cards want to sell him off for 200k or so, that's great news for Reds fans.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?