Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trade time: Bruce and Leake for a cleanup hitter

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Trade time: Bruce and Leake for a cleanup hitter

I'm starting to feel sorry for Jay. This is like beyond ugly for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He'll probably go on a terror at some point and do his best babe Ruth impersonation for a month and even things out. Well at least I hope. Idk if I've ever seen him K this much.

Bruce got into a Twitter war with some of his fans last night. I really enjoy Twitter but I don't know if players being on during the season is a good thing. DatDudeBP posts a lot of pictures late at night during the season of him at clubs drinking and it just rubs me the wrong way. Personally, if I were paid $10 mil a year to play baseball for 6 months I would not get drunk every night. I have no complaints with Phillips on the field obviously, I just think it is strange that he broadcasts his late night drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Bruce got into a Twitter war with some of his fans last night. I really enjoy Twitter but I don't know if players being on during the season is a good thing. DatDudeBP posts a lot of pictures late at night during the season of him at clubs drinking and it just rubs me the wrong way. Personally, if I were paid $10 mil a year to play baseball for 6 months I would not get drunk every night. I have no complaints with Phillips on the field obviously, I just think it is strange that he broadcasts his late night drinking.
    Bruce is obviously frustrated and he got baited by the trolls. At least he cares.

Last year Vernon Wells was tweeting "too blessed to be stressed" and dancing before games while making $21 mil batting .230.

I can't feel sorry for guys making millions of dollars. It comes with the territory. You can call me any name in the book for whatever Bruce is making.

Bruce will put up 30hr and 100 RBI. He might get there with a lot of ups and downs but he gets there and that's what I want from my clean up hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4486 View Post
    Bruce will put up 30hr and 100 RBI. He might get there with a lot of ups and downs but he gets there and that's what I want from my clean up hitter.
    He is not the clean up hitter.

I hope he gets there but I am not so sure this year. He looks very lost at the plate. I am aware he is a very streaky player but this feels different. This whole season feels weird. I have a feeling Bruce wants out of cinci.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    April 1, 2012, the Reds traded the great Juan Francisco to the Braves for JJ Hoover.

April 16, 1999, the Reds traded the great John Hudek to the Braves for Mark Wohlers.

May 29, 1994, the Reds traded the great Roberto Kelly and a minor leaguer to the Braves for Deion Sanders.

May 19, 1988, the Reds traded the great Pat Perry to the Cubs for Leon Durham.

April 7, 2006, the Reds traded Jeff Stevens to the Indians for Brandon Phillips.

April 19, 1994, the Reds traded the great Marty Lister and Ross Powell to the Astros for Eddie Taubensee.

May 9, 1983, the Dodgers traded Brett Wise and John Franco to the Reds for the great Rafael Landestoy.

April 3, 1990, the Reds trade Jeff Richardson and Mike Roesler to the Pirates for the great Billy Hatcher.

May 29, 1971, the Reds trade Vern Geishert and Frank Duffy to the Giants for the great George Foster.

Never say never.
    I don't know that I'd call any of these moves "blockbusters"...I could be wrong.

none were blockbusters when made but it shows helpful even huge acquisitions CAN be made early. But usually big name multi star trades are not made before the deadline period. Pegging a Foster at that stage though is just blind luck.

I would agree that they can be helpful...it seems to me that the organization is merely trying to survive before making any moves. Not saying that's the right move, but I don't see them making a move to shore up LF when they have 3 players to rotate through that position right now.

They see Frazier as their 3B of the future, so they won't make a deal for a 3B and they likely don't want to add a LF with the hopes that they resign Choo...besides, for a month where they played 28 out of 30 days possible, including the last 20 days in a row, and suffered the multitude of injuries that they have suffered, 15-13 (now 15-14) is something I will take.

Yikes.. Guys, we are only 2 games out of first place, after playing a brutal schedule.

Honestly, the Reds would be crazy to jettison Bruce and Leake at this point.
    That would be a pure panic move. The cleanup hitter we got would likely not be as good as Bruce will eventually be. I know Leake is not very popular, but losing him hurts the pitching depth a lot.

A move like this is akin to the panic trade of Kearns/Lopez which completely knocked the Reds out of contention.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

13. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-02-2013)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

It would be foolish to trade Bruce right now... Leake on the other hand we would be just fine without. He's smoke and mirrors and big league hitters probably love facing him.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    For Frazier straight up none but if you package him with leake and prospects I'm sure there's someone out there
    Such as???
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Such as???
    I'm not sure. It's going to depend on what team needs what and who is available at the deadline. It's also depend on the prospects packaged with him. If the reds could find a team that could use a first or third baseman and we have other prospects that match up then it's a possibility. I think it's way more realistic to move Frazier than it is to move Bruce.

Remember, the need for the Reds to deal players in a blockbuster trade is about changing the team chemistry. Cincy just has too many streaky .250 hitters who are prone to long bouts of ineffective service. It almost doesn't matter which interchangeable pieces they deal, they just need to make a big change. The current combination isn't getting the job done, and Cozart, Bruce, Frazier, Heisey and Mesaraco are the most likely candidates to go -- with Leake added to sweeten the pot and help the team make wholesale changes and land a more reliable, franchise-caliber slugger. Like Stubbs or even Hamilton before, each player I'm listing may need a change of scenery to shock their systems. Look at how the addition of Cingrani may be changing Leake: he now appears to be pitching like he fear for his job (and he should). Alternatively, maybe the team simply needs a change in managerial style and direction. I'm no Dusty Baker fan, and feel that change could help too, but I suspect it is this particular combination of players that is the real problem.

Turn Off Ads?