Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trade time: Bruce and Leake for a cleanup hitter

Re: Trade time: Bruce and Leake for a cleanup hitter

Quote Originally Posted by GotHeeeeem View Post
    Name one cleanup hitter a team is gunna give you for them?
    For Frazier straight up none but if you package him with leake and prospects I'm sure there's someone out there

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    They're not going to just trade Bruce... but he is sealing his fate/legacy as a player in the game of baseball as just "a streaky guy". It speaks volumes that the organization did not want to lock him up to an even longer term deal this past offseason when Bruce camp wanted to do so--it was basically to extend his contract in the same value range it is in now. Says the organization is not so convinced on his ability and quite frankly at this point why would they be.
    One of the most insightful posts on Bruce I've seen on here.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

They're not going to just trade Bruce... but he is sealing his fate/legacy as a player in the game of baseball as just "a streaky guy". It speaks volumes that the organization did not want to lock him up to an even longer term deal this past offseason when Bruce camp wanted to do so--it was basically to extend his contract in the same value range it is in now. Says the organization is not so convinced on his ability and quite frankly at this point why would they be.
    Good post, and I agree.

I think this is kind of a make or break year for Jay, in terms of his future with the team.

Not sure it has anything to do with how they see Bruce in the future. It's a bad idea to have 2 guy's locked up for 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Not sure it has anything to do with how they see Bruce in the future. It's a bad idea to have 2 guy's locked up for 10+ years.
    Idk if its that so much but I think maybe the reds want to see what they have in lutz and winker, their two big left handed outfield prospects, before they sign Bruce. Why sign a streaky guy for big money when one of your cheap honegrown prospects could be a better option and then use jay in a trade once that is established.

7. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (04-30-2013),RedlegJake (04-30-2013)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Idk if its that so much but I think maybe the reds want to see what they have in lutz and winker, their two big left handed outfield prospects, before they sign Bruce. Why sign a streaky guy for big money when one of your cheap honegrown prospects could be a better option and then use jay in a trade once that is established.
    Highly HIGHLY unlikely either Lutz or Winkler ever come anything close to Jay Bruce, even in some of his subpar seasons.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

This is insane! as much as I yell at the TV when Bruce whiffs, you cannot trade him. I think many people forget, he is still younger than both Cozart and Frazier!!!

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-30-2013)

Highly HIGHLY unlikely either Lutz or Winkler ever come anything close to Jay Bruce, even in some of his subpar seasons.
    I doubt either of them would give you the total package with defense the way Bruce does. If one of them offers a more consistent bat in the future and couple that with a trade of Bruce for someone the net effect may lead to a better team. I like Bruce and only seem him getting better (im seeing bruce trying to become a more complete hitter by going the other way this year and once that clicks i think hell take off) but it may be wise to consider and explore all options considering the reds are a mid market team with a huge contract commitment to votto, before they extend Bruce that far.

I may be wrong but I don't remember any blockbuster trades happening in April or May. All the trade talk is fun but it's moot. Generally teams just don't make big moves early in the season.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

This is the year

i can remember when bruce started his first season and that crazy streak he went on. Its unbelievable. Its not just a lucky streak and getting his pitches. Its like hes a completely different player. When he was on like that in the beginning at least. He was so patient and had an eye like a eagle. Then all of the sudden couple months later hes swinging at balls that bounce in front of the plate like he went blind.

Ive never really seen him go back to that crazy good streak where he looked like the next phenom. Ive seen him get streaky since.

Quote Originally Posted by boiseheidleberg View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't remember any blockbuster trades happening in April or May. All the trade talk is fun but it's moot. Generally teams just don't make big moves early in the season.
    Oh I know. Any trade talk I'm thinking of would be directed towards being made more towards the deadline.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boiseheidleberg View Post
    April 1, 2012, the Reds traded the great Juan Francisco to the Braves for JJ Hoover.

April 16, 1999, the Reds traded the great John Hudek to the Braves for Mark Wohlers.

May 29, 1994, the Reds traded the great Roberto Kelly and a minor leaguer to the Braves for Deion Sanders.

May 19, 1988, the Reds traded the great Pat Perry to the Cubs for Leon Durham.

April 7, 2006, the Reds traded Jeff Stevens to the Indians for Brandon Phillips.

April 19, 1994, the Reds traded the great Marty Lister and Ross Powell to the Astros for Eddie Taubensee.

May 9, 1983, the Dodgers traded Brett Wise and John Franco to the Reds for the great Rafael Landestoy.

April 3, 1990, the Reds trade Jeff Richardson and Mike Roesler to the Pirates for the great Billy Hatcher.

May 29, 1971, the Reds trade Vern Geishert and Frank Duffy to the Giants for the great George Foster.

Never say never.

I'd take a similar trade right now...Landestoy for Franco...Geishert for Foster...the closest migjt br Soto for a Hoover quality arm akin to Francico/JJ...or a couple prospect arms for a Hatcher LF....but I don't see any way the Reds get Fowler without a Cueto like return.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'd take a similar trade right now...Landestoy for Franco...Geishert for Foster...the closest migjt br Soto for a Hoover quality arm akin to Francico/JJ...or a couple prospect arms for a Hatcher LF....but I don't see any way the Reds get Fowler without a Cueto like return.
    I was thinking more towards the deadline. While some of the guys that were acquired in those April deals went on to greatness at the time they were minor to moderate transactions.

Bruce's K rate is up to 32%....

Turn Off Ads?