Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade time: Bruce and Leake for a cleanup hitter

Trade time: Bruce and Leake for a cleanup hitter

It's now or never: the Reds need to shakeup this team with a blockbuster trade for a more reliable power hitter/right fielder. I like Bruce, but he's not getting it done. Cingrani is should be replacing Leake in the rotation, who clearly also needs a change if scenery. I'd even nose around for a third warm body to sweeten the deal and get a big name guy with big numbers. Maybe Heisey. The Reds need to change the chemistry.

So, who's available?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade time: Bruce and Leake for a cleanup hitter

Oops. I did not see the other new thread proposing outfielder trade ideas. Sorry. Maybe an admin wants to merge the two, though this thread is more about the despearate need for a blockbuster trade to obtain a big name cleanup hitter...no nibbling around the edges on this. Let's get a Hall of Fame outfielder.

EMAW

Bruce will be good for 30/100 not sure somewhere better is available

5. Likes:

Joseph (08-04-2013),kfm (04-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HDBoy View Post
    It's now or never: the Reds need to shakeup this team with a blockbuster trade for a more reliable power hitter/right fielder. I like Bruce, but he's not getting it done. Cingrani is should be replacing Leake in the rotation, who clearly also needs a change if scenery. I'd even nose around for a third warm body to sweeten the deal and get a big name guy with big numbers. Maybe Heisey. The Reds need to change the chemistry.

So, who's available?
    Bruce's defense is too important, especially with choo in center, and when he gets hot hes babe ruth. Now Frazier and leake and a prospect for a 4 hole hitter. It's be up for that. Fraziers D is easly replaceable and honestly I'm not sold on his bat versus quality pitching. Plus his contract is less and Bruce's so he'd be easier to move.

Good idea! Lets trade jay Bruce when his stock is low! Brilliant!

The problem I see with trading Frazier is u still have a hole somewhere. If u trade him for a left fielder who plays third. I think Frazier will give u 25 home runs and probably 70-80rbi and his d isn't that bad, so I can't see him getting traded and he is not making very much $.

Is this thread serious?

Quote Originally Posted by cincyredway View Post
    The problem I see with trading Frazier is u still have a hole somewhere. If u trade him for a left fielder who plays third. I think Frazier will give u 25 home runs and probably 70-80rbi and his d isn't that bad, so I can't see him getting traded and he is not making very much $.
    If you use him in a trade for a right handed hitter that is better than he is, that hitter will take his place in the lineup. Hannahan is a superior glove in the field by far so the D would be better too. Im sure you could call up donald or hrod to platoon. So far the comments I've gotten on fraziers D is oh he's not that bad or no ones perfect or stuff around those lines. If you can use him to get better do it. This isnt a shot at you, Hes a nice piece but people around here treat him like some kind of perennial all star. He's an average at best defender who seriously struggles against good pitching and pads his numbers versus average to below average pitching. A lesser version of Bruce. I'm not saying I want him moved but if I had to choose between Bruce and Frazier being traded I pick Frazier all day long unless the return is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    Is this thread serious?
    I hope not......unless we can dupe the rays into giving us price and longoria for them.

I understand what u r saying , I just don't see the benefit in trading Frazier and then playing hanahan and a platoon at third.
    Actually after David wright u could make the argument that Frazier is the second best 3rd baseman I. The NLright now. Headley and freeze r good but both have been hurt, Sandoval ...meh Hanley -hurt. I am not sure if I would trade Frazier for any 3rd baseman but wright and probably headley.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyredway View Post
    I understand what u r saying , I just don't see the benefit in trading Frazier and then playing hanahan and a platoon at third.
    Actually after David wright u could make the argument that Frazier is the second best 3rd baseman I. The NLright now. Headley and freeze r good but both have been hurt, Sandoval ...meh Hanley -hurt. I am not sure if I would trade Frazier for any 3rd baseman but wright and probably headley.
    I'd use him in a trade for Headley as far as NL third basemen go. Wright won't be traded unless loria buys the mets. Now for outfielders there's quite a few I'd use him in a trade for. Remember the reds won last year because of pitching and D. Our D this year is not as good with choo in center. So part of my reasoning to go after a third basemen is so we can get a centerfield and put choo in a corner. Improve the defense there. Defense is huge especially in GABP. One error or the inability to get to a ball that a superior defender could get to can cost you big time. So with an outfielder that is equal or greater than fraziers production plus with hannahan and whoever at third the team will be better. The outfielder will match Todd and I'm sure hannahan and whoever could match what we've gotten out of left. Actually part of me says call Hrod up instead of lutz put Frazier in left and platoon hannahan and Hrod at third. I think the overall value will be better than the situation we have now.

Some interesting ideas are surfacing here. Somehow, the Reds' team chemistry just isn't quite jelling and I wonder if this group really can rise to championship caliber. That said, they sure were fun to watch during that Post-Votto injury run last year. However, they still have roller-coaster tendencies and I still think Bruce is too inconsistent to be a #4 or #5 hitter.

The bottom line: I think this team is going to need a shake up this year. The Reds cannot afford to wait another year to get it together.

And I don't really like the idea I trading Frazier. He's a key part of the good side of this team's chemistry.

Name one cleanup hitter a team is gunna give you for them?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

They're not going to just trade Bruce... but he is sealing his fate/legacy as a player in the game of baseball as just "a streaky guy". It speaks volumes that the organization did not want to lock him up to an even longer term deal this past offseason when Bruce camp wanted to do so--it was basically to extend his contract in the same value range it is in now. Says the organization is not so convinced on his ability and quite frankly at this point why would they be.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?