Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Whom Are You Drinking?

Re: Who are you drinking to?

I always drink to Chuck Mercein from Yale for having some big runs in the game winning drive for the Packers in the Ice Bowl.

But sometimes I toast JB for that HR against the Pirates and the 2 HRs in Game 4 in Yankee Stadium.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

OK, here's to Pete Rose, for not allowing Dave Pallone to poke him in the flippin eye without shoving him back, 25 years ago today. It cost Pete 30 games, and it cost Dave Pallone his career. Pallone also had a long, ongoing feud with Dave Concepcion, and admitted later to blocking his view from the plate, and throwing him out of a game for questioning a strike call on a pitch Pallone said he missed.

Yes, here's to Pete, I hate seeing him on that mattress selling, selling, selling; flame away.
    Last edited by Always Red; 04-30-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Hit edit. Go Advanced. Change title.
    Looks like "edit" is only an option for a few hours after a post is made. I don't have an edit button on the OP anymore. Guessing it has to be a mod? Thanks for the tip though.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I dwink evwytime Jae Bwuce stwikes out.

I'm rilly dwunk wite now. sworry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I dwink evwytime Jae Bwuce stwikes out.

I'm rilly dwunk wite now. sworry.
    That's about 50 shots this month. Your liver is begging for mercy.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I've dedicated this whole season of Captain Morgan and Coke to Stan Musial.
    Zima supply running low?

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Looks like "edit" is only an option for a few hours after a post is made. I don't have an edit button on the OP anymore. Guessing it has to be a mod? Thanks for the tip though.
    That is correct, as is the information others have provided on how to edit a thread title (prior to the time limit). Per your request, I've edited it for you.

I bumped that time limit, as well as the time limit to edit a post, up two more hours.

9. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-01-2013)

Re: To Whom Are You Drinking?

My dad a huge Reds fan and his mother Emily whose father rubbed elbows with players at the turn of the century. Both instilled an unending love for baseball. Gram taught me to its history with her stories of the teens and twenties and her dad Tommy Maddock's exploits as semi-pro barnstormer who left home each summer and returned in the fall full of stories about players he met and toured with some of whom had been big leaguers. Dad taught me how to play the game all out the right way...but more importantly he taught me live the right way with honor and that a man can be a hard ass on the diamond or business but never at home. I came to ORG because of his posting there just to read and see how he was doing. He always posted all summer long so I could tell something was up if he failed to post on a gameday. He didn't want to be "nurse nancied" so it was easy to keep tabs on his well being during the season. When mom called and I knew there'd be no more posts I joined just to sure his spirit could still read Redszone...through me.

As to a player Sunny Jim Bottomley who always played the right way even thru some of the worst years for Reds fans. You always got your 50 cents admission worth when you watched Sunny Jim.

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-01-2013),klw (05-01-2013),New York Red (05-01-2013),RichRed (05-01-2013),wheels (05-02-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    My dad a huge Reds fan and his mother Emily whose father rubbed elbows with players at the turn of the century. Both instilled an unending love for baseball. Gram taught me to its history with her stories of the teens and twenties and her dad Tommy Maddock's exploits as semi-pro barnstormer who left home each summer and returned in the fall full of stories about players he met and toured with some of whom had been big leaguers. Dad taught me how to play the game all out the right way...but more importantly he taught me live the right way with honor and that a man can be a hard ass on the diamond or business but never at home. I came to ORG because of his posting there just to read and see how he was doing. He always posted all summer long so I could tell something was up if he failed to post on a gameday. He didn't want to be "nurse nancied" so it was easy to keep tabs on his well being during the season. When mom called and I knew there'd be no more posts I joined just to sure his spirit could still read Redszone...through me.

As to a player Sunny Jim Bottomley who always played the right way even thru some of the worst years for Reds fans. You always got your 50 cents admission worth when you watched Sunny Jim.
    When was your dad posting on RZ? I think it may have been just before I joined which is 10 years ago this month. I have read some things of his that were brought back up and they were just terrific readings.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Cumberland he was posting before it was Redszone and I remember how crazy that old board was. Boss and GIK then started the split board with the new host and dramarically improved the tenor and quality of the board. People who railed against the split board forget how bad it had gotten with the yahoos who only posted to berate belittle or flame. And when it had served they democratized it aagain. Redszone is fortunate to have the owners it does. Thank you for your kind words about dad's posts. He wrote a lot when he got older and did not think it was worth much so a lot was tossed or kept on scraps. How I wish we had paid more attention and saved that stuff. He woukd have made a grear book with his tales.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-01-2013)

To Brad Lesley, Ryan Freel, Tim Layana, Frank Pastore, Fred Hutchinson, and all the other Reds who left us too soon.

To my dad and uncle, who are no longer with us, but always had time for a game of catch.

To my mom, who is still with us, and who bought me my first pack of baseball cards when I was 9 years old.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

16. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-01-2013)

I'll hoist one to Bob, an Indians fan who lived in my dorm in college. As poverty-stricken students, sometimes if we didn't have anything else going on on a weekend night, we'd each buy some beer and packs of baseball cards, and we'd sit around watching TV, drinking, and swapping cards, stories and arguments. I was just thinking today how much goofy fun that was...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

18. Likes:

RichRed (05-01-2013)

To my Dad he inspired the baseball craze in me when I was 4 or 5 years old and because he was my Dad. RIP dad. I miss watching the Reds with you..
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

RichRed (05-02-2013)

I'll hoist a Canadian Club on the rocks to my dad, Robert F Leetch, ad man.

That's me, my brother Bob, and my dad got our picture taken with Tito Francona (no, not the one (Terry) that's the current manager of the Indians, the one that is *his* dad). Circa 1961-ish.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-01-2013),RichRed (05-01-2013)

Davey Johnson. 1300th win today.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Turn Off Ads?