Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Baker wear hitters out?

Does Baker wear hitters out?

Over the first 29 games...

29 starts -- Bruce
    28 starts -- Votto, Choo, Phillips
    26 starts -- Frazier, Cozart

Out of the chute, with one stretch of 20 straight games, this seems extreme to me. Not sure it's the wisest approach for both starters and bench guys (physically or mentally). As sporadic as play is in spring training, the transition to a month of every day play for 6 guys is, at the least, abrupt.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Does Baker wear hitters out?

UMMMMMM no, what happened to the days when guys played every game if healthy. This is not an excuse!!!

Not at all. Baker rest them too much sometimes if anything. He's really good about keeping his bench players sharp and ready. I would say once the weather starts getting hot the regulars will get a few more days off.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    UMMMMMM no, what happened to the days when guys played every game if healthy. This is not an excuse!!!
    Amen. I remember the days when players smoked cigarettes and ate hot dogs between innings, and still managed to play 160+ games a year. I just finished a stretch in which I worked 29 of 30 days, at least 8-10 hours a day. Baseball players "work" 162 days a year, with plenty of days off, working only 3 hours a day and half of their "work" day is spent sitting down.

Dusty was using the "worn out" excuse the first week of the season, but I hope our fans aren't going to start following his lead. If anyone on this team is worn out after the first month, they probably need to look for a different line of "work". We all should have it so hard.

Nope. I actually think resting hitters is one of Dusty's strengths as a manager. He's very in touch with who needs rest, seems to me.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Baker wears me out

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Amen. I remember the days when players smoked cigarettes and ate hot dogs between innings, and still managed to play 160+ games a year. I just finished a stretch in which I worked 29 of 30 days, at least 8-10 hours a day. Baseball players "work" 162 days a year, with plenty of days off, working only 3 hours a day and half of their "work" day is spent sitting down.

Dusty was using the "worn out" excuse the first week of the season, but I hope our fans aren't going to start following his lead. If anyone on this team is worn out after the first month, they probably need to look for a different line of "work". We all should have it so hard.
    I would beg to differ that baseball players only "work" 3 hours a day. They get to the ballpark early and do fielding and hitting drills. Some guys have to get medical attention and therapy.

I know it's a pampered life in many ways, but they don't just show up for the 3 hour game.

They work a whole lot more than three hours. If you consider the travel it's quite a lot more than three hours. No doubt its a great life but I can imagine its very wearing as the long season goes.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

IslandRed (05-02-2013),westofyou (05-02-2013)

Dear God. If someone struggles it has to be Dusty's fault, right?

12. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (05-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    People used to walk around barefoot all the time too. They slept in caves and never brushed their teeth.

What happened to those days?

Oh wait, maybe with different time periods come different standards and practices? And maybe, instead of comparing the 2013 Reds with some day/time long passed and gone....maybe a more useful comparison would be to look at the Reds resting their starters vs the other 29 2013 MLB teams.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They work a whole lot more than three hours.
    Actually, they don't. I somehow manage to work out a couple times a week, play a round of golf, and take evening walks with my daughter. I don't consider any of that "work", even though I'm not sitting down.

No way. No how. My rationale, Yadier Molina. He has played in 26 of the cardinals 27 games at the most grueling filed position. He plays well behind the plate and still hits. We are not even in the Dog Days of summer yet. Heck, we are not even in the puppy days yet.

16. Likes:

RedsBrick (05-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    People used to walk around barefoot all the time too. They slept in caves and never brushed their teeth.

What happened to those days?

Oh wait, maybe with different time periods come different standards and practices? And maybe, instead of comparing the 2013 Reds with some day/time long passed and gone....maybe a more useful comparison would be to look at the Reds resting their starters vs the other 29 2013 MLB teams.
    It's not just the Reds. Despite better conditioning, better nutrition, and better traveling conditions, today's players need more rest, for whatever reason, than the previous generation of players.

Actually, they don't. I somehow manage to work out a couple times a week, play a round of golf, and take evening walks with my daughter. I don't consider any of that "work", even though I'm not sitting down.
    Working out to stay in shape is not anything like training for professional athletics.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

However you want to spin it but they do more work than the three hours they spend on the field for a game. They have to or they would never be as good as they are or stay even somewhat competitive without putting in a lot of extra practice time which is part of their job.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?