Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Strasberg gets shut down again ...

If Strasberg gets shut down again ...

... for injury or precautionary reasons, does it change anyone's opinion of how the Reds have handled Aroldis Chapman?

*Wasn't sure whether to put this in the existing Strasberg thread or start a new one, since it's more about Chapman than Strasberg (I think)?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Strasberg gets shut down again ...

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    ... for injury or precautionary reasons, does it change anyone's opinion of how the Reds have handled Aroldis Chapman?

*Wasn't sure whether to put this in the existing Strasberg thread or start a new one, since it's more about Chapman than Strasberg (I think)?
    Nope. Pitcher health is something unique to each pitcher. Each pitcher's body handles his particular mechanics in its own way. What would concern me most is if the team was making decisions based on some generic, blanket rule and not based on a player-specific assessment.

It's not like relievers have a particularly strong track record of staying healthy. I would argue that relieving isn't necessarily easier physically, it's just different. Some pitchers may be especially good at holding up for a 100 pitches in a single session but not good at recovering quickly regardless of how many pitches they throw.

It's been noted that Homer Bailey, for instance, struggles to get warm quickly. He might be more likely to get injured as a reliever than as a starter.

The thing you never really know is: Did a guy get hurt b/c of the way we handled him, in spite of how we handled him, or did it really make no difference? I don't think there's an answer to that question, but I'd trust player-specific biomechanical analyses paired with an honest report from the player about how he feels above all else.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

1940757690 (04-30-2013)

I don't understand why these things relate?

6. Likes:

1940757690 (04-30-2013)

Haunted by walks

It seems like every generation there's a country hoss like Bob Feller, Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan who can throw hard for a very long time. Then there are extremely talented pitchers like Koufax and Strasburg who can reach the upper limits but have to try to keep from falling apart. As the game advances, we see more of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    As the game advances, we see more of these guys.
    I wonder about that. Because I wonder how many guys flamed out in the "good ole days" throwing 240 innings at 20 years old in the 3I League.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

In the good ole days, Strasberg's career would have ended when he tore his UCL in 2011.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

No
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

whatever happens to strasburg has zero relevance to chapman

Aroldis Chapman isn't recovering from Tommy John surgery and is therefore sailing in a different boat than Stephen Strasburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    In the good ole days, Strasberg's career would have ended when he tore his UCL in 2011.
    This is the biggest reason why scoring has been declining in recent years. There are an awful lot of good pitchers still on the mound that would have been forced to retire in earlier decades.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (05-01-2013)

Ummm ... I'm well aware of the fact Chapman hasn't had Tommy John surgery. My point was, IF the Reds had put him in the starting rotation last year, or the year before, and things had progressed on a similar path as Strasberg's has, would you still think it was the right path to take with him.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Ummm ... I'm well aware of the fact Chapman hasn't had Tommy John surgery. My point was, IF the Reds had put him in the starting rotation last year, or the year before, and things had progressed on a similar path as Strasberg's has, would you still think it was the right path to take with him.
    So IF Chapman had been made a starter, and IF he'd gotten seriously injured and needed TJ surgery, would I rather that he had not been made a starter?

Answering questions in hindsight and pretty easy, and largely a waste of time.

You lost me. Hypotheticals predicated on hypotheticals are a dangerous game.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

*Note to self -- don't start anymore hypothetical threads.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

*Note to self -- don't start anymore hypothetical threads.
    When your hypothetical is pretty much "If you took a plane trip and it crashed, would you still take the trip if you could do a redo?", yeah, maybe you are correct.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 05-01-2013 at 02:20 PM.

20. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-02-2013),RedEye (05-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?