Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto rehab schedule- starts Friday!

Cueto rehab schedule- starts Friday!

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-at-pensacola/

Johnny Cueto will make a rehab start for Double-A Pensacola on Friday. Cueto will fly to Cincinnati today and be examined by Dr. Tim Kremchek tomorrow.

He’ll throw 60 to 70 pitches for the Blue Wahoos. The plan is for Cueto to make another rehab start in Dayton Wednesday, May 8.

“That’s what we’re thinking initially,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “It’s not etched in stone. We’ll see how he comes out of it.”

Cueto is anxious to get back.

“I feel good,” he said. “No pain.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto rehab schedule- starts Friday!

and then a decision has to be made.

My own prediction - Cingrani goes back down, but he'll be back after the all-star break

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I hope for the best obviously, but a small part of me wonders if they're planning 2 rehab starts to give THEMSELVES more time to figure out the Cingrani conundrum. A bad start from Tony would solve their problems for them. Another good one and a sub-par one from Leake would do the same. They've got a tough call coming up regardless IMO.

I hope I'm wrong and I probably am since I haven't seen it discussed much but something tells me that it'll be Cingrani to the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I hope I'm wrong and I probably am since I haven't seen it discussed much but something tells me that it'll be Cingrani to the pen.
    I seriously doubt he will go to the BullPen. In that scenario he is only throwing 1-2 innings every so often. I am pretty certain the Reds Brass wants him throwing 6-7 innings every 5th day.

Cingrani should keep on starting. Why mess with a good thing? Leake should buy the book Bullpen for Dummies and figure out what to do down in the pen.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

There is no way Cingrani goes down if he keeps this up. It wouldn't be fair to him, the team, fans and even Leake. Can you imagine the pressure on him everytime he gives up 4-5 runs and Cingrani gives up 2? Long-man is his new job in 2 weeks.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

9. Likes:

wlf WV (05-01-2013)

I'd hate Cingrani in bullpen also. Not that I don't think he would do well but I'd rather him build his innings for future.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    There is no way Cingrani goes down if he keeps this up. It wouldn't be fair to him, the team, fans and even Leake. Can you imagine the pressure on him everytime he gives up 4-5 runs and Cingrani gives up 2? Long-man is his new job in 2 weeks.
    The pressue on Leake is a point I hadn't considered. Not sure if it changes anything, but it's something to think about.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    and then a decision has to be made.

My own prediction - Cingrani goes back down, but he'll be back after the all-star break
    That would be a travesty of epic proportions by the management. You have to ride him while he is hot...

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    That would be a travesty of epic proportions by the management. You have to ride him while he is hot...
    Cingrani's innings limit (if you subscribe to the Verducci Effect) is between 160 and 180 innings. That would put him somewhere in Sept right? Can we really send down or put in the bullpen a guy, who we may need to pitch well in Sept. (Leake)? While I'd love to keep Cingrani up I'm not sure I want to do it at the expense of games down the stretch of the season. If Leake starts to struggle for an extended period then all bets are off, but if he pitches well, I think it's an easy decision.

An interesting sidenote. If the Reds choose not to worry about Cingrani's innings limit and he get's hurt, Dusty will no doubt take all blame with his past.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2013)

Perhaps I am reading into it way too much ... but Cueto's 1st rehab start is scheduled to be the same day that Leake pitches. His second start is to be 5 days after in Dayton. Do they plan on keeping him at his normal every 5 days as a starter? Or would they give him that one extra day of rest? It seems to me that the reds have already decided that Cueto is going to go on his normal schedule and take the place of Leake. Otherwise, they would have waiting one extra day to start the rehabs.

With this team's inability to score runs, coupled with strong starting pitching, there's no reason to not expect a lot of close games going forward.....some of which will probably go extras. I'd think having Mike Leake in the pen for long relief in a number of instances including this could be useful.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Perhaps I am reading into it way too much ... but Cueto's 1st rehab start is scheduled to be the same day that Leake pitches. His second start is to be 5 days after in Dayton. Do they plan on keeping him at his normal every 5 days as a starter? Or would they give him that one extra day of rest? It seems to me that the reds have already decided that Cueto is going to go on his normal schedule and take the place of Leake. Otherwise, they would have waiting one extra day to start the rehabs.
    I think it's likely just a coincidence. I doubt any decision has been made, thought I expect they've been talking about it. There is still some starts to occur which will be relevant to the decision.

Well, I'd imagine Cueto's first start back with the Reds would be around May 13th. Anything could happen before then, so no need for the Reds to make a decision until he's ready to come back. The team has six MLB ready starters right now...quite a good problem to have.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?