Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Baseball Is Fun" Thread

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: The "Baseball Is Fun" Thread

The girl I'm dating now is one of my first girlfriends who actually enjoys watching baseball. The others tolerated my obsession for the most part, but one of her very favorite things to do is grill out, turn the game on, and curl up on the couch with beers for three hours. Every once in a while, she'll go to a game without me, but she'll always text me the Scoreboard Stumper and marvel at my trivia prowess even if I get just one of the six answers right. She just dropped 60 bucks on a Joey Votto jersey, and is there anything cuter than a girl in a baseball jersey and ball cap? You're already wrong--there isn't. It's made this season quite enjoyable so far.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-03-2013), AtomicDumpling (05-05-2013), Crumbley (05-02-2013), IslandRed (05-03-2013), JB12 (05-03-2013), REDREAD (05-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    The girl I'm dating now is one of my first girlfriends who actually enjoys watching baseball. The others tolerated my obsession for the most part, but one of her very favorite things to do is grill out, turn the game on, and curl up on the couch with beers for three hours. Every once in a while, she'll go to a game without me, but she'll always text me the Scoreboard Stumper and marvel at my trivia prowess even if I get just one of the six answers right. She just dropped 60 bucks on a Joey Votto jersey, and is there anything cuter than a girl in a baseball jersey and ball cap? You're already wrong--there isn't. It's made this season quite enjoyable so far.
    Your girlfriend needs to text my wife some instructions and lessons. :O)

And yes, girl in a jersey...yum.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

5. Likes:

WildcatFan (05-02-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

How the heck did she only pay $60 for a Joey Votto jersey????! Those things are like $200 almost everywhere. I need to know this information! *is extremely envious*

This thread is awesome.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

7. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-02-2013)

Baseball is very fun. Today is one of my sons first start as a pitcher. Told him it probably wasn't a good idea to use the Cueto twist just yet. So he is going with the Latos delivery. He can mimic about all of the staff. He couldn't be more excited for this day and luckily he truly gets it. Just enjoys the game no matter how he does.

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-05-2013), HeatherC1212 (05-02-2013), JB12 (05-03-2013), redsmetz (05-02-2013)

How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

11. Likes:

Always Red (05-02-2013), dfs (05-03-2013), HeatherC1212 (05-02-2013), IslandRed (05-03-2013), RichRed (05-02-2013), UKFlounder (05-05-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (05-02-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

^wolfboy, that's awesome, I can't beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    How the heck did she only pay $60 for a Joey Votto jersey????! Those things are like $200 almost everywhere. I need to know this information! *is extremely envious*
    One of the first sales of the season on reds.com had it for like 25% off. Here's it is: http://mshop.mlb.com/product/index.j...uctId=12761001

I figure if anybody needs one, its you!
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-03-2013)

Titled: A Great Day for Baseball, from my daughter's baseball illustrations

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

16. Likes:

757690 (05-02-2013), Always Red (05-02-2013), AtomicDumpling (05-05-2013)

Are you sure youre not just enabling her drinking problem?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Are you sure youre not just enabling her drinking problem?
    Only when they lose, Jojo. Only when they lose.

19. Likes:

RichRed (05-02-2013)

AFV is a guilty pleasure of mine. Lots of nut shots here.....

Pay attention to the open sky

21. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-03-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    AFV is a guilty pleasure of mine. Lots of nut shots here.....

Excellent way to start the day.

Was that George tripping over his mask at about 1:31?

Playing catch with dad until the sun went down.

The crack of the bat.

The fireworks.

The old guy in the seat next to you with headphones and a score card who taught you everything that day.

Watching your favorite player.

How the stadium can somehow turn you into a 12 year old. Every time.

The 162 page story that is a baseball season, filled with wonder, magic, and emotion.

Long Live Baseball!
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-03-2013), JB12 (05-03-2013), RadfordVA (05-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Baseball is fun

I just started playing in an adult baseball league in Seoul. We have 6 teams with 15+ people each playing on the worst field imaginable, and its still baseball. My team is 2-0 and small sample size aside I'm sporting a robust 1.4 OPS, but I digress. We spend a lot of time here talking the game. Those that are still capable, get out there. Knowing more about the game, just makes it better. If you can, play, if not umpire or coach. The game is always amazing.
    Play in a adult sandlot league and it's been a lot of fun the past three seasons. Just played my first weekend (got in three games - I do not recommend triple headers at age 45, btw) and ended up 4-10 with three rbis and scored two runs over the three games.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

26. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (05-05-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Play in a adult sandlot league and it's been a lot of fun the past three seasons. Just played my first weekend (got in three games - I do not recommend triple headers at age 45, btw) and ended up 4-10 with three rbis and scored two runs over the three games.
    The important question is can you play left field and hit 2nd? :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

28. Likes:

WildcatFan (05-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?