Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Tebow Conundrum

Re: The Tebow Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    So to boil it down, people don't like him BECAUSE of his faith OR because he's so demonstrative with his faith OR is it a product of the media hype machine OR a combination of it all?
    I think it's really just a combination of everything.

The whole Tim Tebow experience is a big distraction and while I'd imagine there are probably a lot of teams that would be willing to embrace (or simply tolerate) the hoopla surrounding him if he were an elite level QB, it is simply not worth the headache for a backup QB. It's sort of like Chad Johnson's tenure with the Bengals, most people were willing to tolerate his antics when he was one of the best WRs in the game but once his skills started to erode those antics grew tired and he was shown the door.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    For me it's a little of all of it.

Mostly because it feels like he is overrated on the field due to the off the field stuff.

Last year it wasn't bad- you are absolutely correct.

With Denver it was obnoxious.
    The problem in Denver, he kept winning games. People would say he couldn't play QB in the NFL, then in the end, when all that matters is the outcome, the Broncos would find a way to win the game. That fueled the fire of the "I love Tebow" crowd as much as anything. They desperatly wanted him to succeed, as much as the people who are annoyed by his religious views/outreach want him to fail.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    The problem in Denver, he kept winning games. People would say he couldn't play QB in the NFL, then in the end, when all that matters is the outcome, the Broncos would find a way to win the game. That fueled the fire of the "I love Tebow" crowd as much as anything. They desperatly wanted him to succeed, as much as the people who are annoyed by his religious views/outreach want him to fail.
    And a lot of that wasn't Tebow's fault- fans glorify the QB. They see a win and he was the QB, that means he is great.

but it's never a good sign when casual observers- my wife did this without prompt- watch him throw a football and question why he's out there.

I'm good at fantasy football, I watch a lot, but I don't claim to know a lot about the inner workings of the game or how to judge raw talent and even I could tell you he's not a thrower.

Yes, but there are lots of people who suck at their professional sports job but aren't reviled. Who here hates Dustin Ackley?

The media doesnt follow Dustin Ackley around like he was good though, do they?

In the end, it isn't about the religion, it's about being good or bad at Football and the media isn't ready to give up on his "talent" when the fans and critics have. Tebow could wash the Ball Boy's feet at halftime every game, and it wouldn't matter as long as he was actually playing good.

I'm going to move the posts of a religious nature out of this thread and to the forum where they belong. If you'd like to discuss Tebow's relative value as a football player, feel free to do so here. If not, continue on in the appropriate thread.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by SaboMVP View Post
    The media doesnt follow Dustin Ackley around like he was good though, do they?
    So it's not that he's not good then. It's the media attention. Which isn't really his fault.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Is there an Offense in which he could thrive?
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So it's not that he's not good then. It's the media attention. Which isn't really his fault.
    Read the whole post, and don't selectively quote. You can't even respond without fallacy, can you? It's about him not being good, as my second paragraph points out.

In trying to discuss Tebow's value as a football player:

A part of me would like to see him with the Bengals as a backup and nothing more. He could line up in the read option and would be a weapon in that regard, but with the notion that 95% of the snaps are going to Andy Dalton. The problem though is that if Dalton falters, Tebow will have his own following that will want him to start, similar to New York and Denver.

I think Tebow will still get a shot in the league, but its up to him and the media to accept his role and not make him into something he is not. A perfect situation: the Washington Redskins. A team that relies heavily on the read option that could use him to split plays and save wear and tear on RGIII.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Why do that when we have Sanu? And he can actually throw.

Him going to Washington isn't bad though. There hopefully RGIII would out shine him in the media and we wouldn't have to hear his name anymore.
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Read the whole post, and don't selectively quote. You can't even respond without fallacy, can you? It's about him not being good, as my second paragraph points out.
    Again, if it's only about him not being good, then why don't people dislike Dustin Ackley? I'm sure there are some Mariners fans who don't like him (and some fantasy baseball team owners), but that's about it.

And please start working on your use of the word fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Again, if it's only about him not being good, then why don't people dislike Dustin Ackley? I'm sure there are some Mariners fans who don't like him (and some fantasy baseball team owners), but that's about it.

And please start working on your use of the word fallacy.
    Because nobody is humoring that Dustin's good. So, like I've said for the fifth time, it comes down to him being good or bad. Why are you not reading what is plainly written?

You selectively quoted me, that's an argumentative fallacy. I guess you don't know what that word means.

The More You know!

Learn the correct way to argue, before attempting to do so.
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-02-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Because nobody is humoring that Dustin's good. So, like I've said for the fifth time, it comes down to him being good or bad. Why are you not reading what is plainly written?
    You're not a logician.

Tim Tebow = Bad
    Dustin Ackley = Bad
    Tim Tebow = Hated
    Dustin Ackley = Not Hated

. . There is something different in these situations OTHER THAN TEBOW BEING BAD. So it plainly (VERY plainly) doesn't come down to just him being bad. It must be the accompanying media attention then, which is basically not his fault. Or it must be something else. And you don't think it's something else apparently.

Sorry for selectively quoting. And I still urge you to stop using the word fallacy. For the love of God.

Everything I've said stands and is backed up by logic and the English language. You couldn't form an argument, and resorted to fallacy. You should probably take a cue from Sonny and bow out while you're behind.

Tim Tebow=Bad, but some try to say he's good

Dustin Ackley=Nobody's trying to say he's good

Tim Tebow=Hated

Dustin Ackley=Apathetic
    Last edited by SaboMVP; 05-02-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Turn Off Ads?