Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Much More Rope Do You Give Cozart?

Re: How Much More Rope Do You Give Cozart?

Cozart had the 12th best OPS of all SS who played the position and went to the plate enough to qualify in 2012. Three of the guys ahead of him were Hanley Ramirez, Starlin Castro and Johnny Peralta. Three guys I wouldn't have as my SS were I king. Those three guys are 3B or maybe CF playing a position they really can't play very well.

I know Cozart doesn't hit much, is mostly a lefty killer and has a low OBP, but there just aren't many SS who can do the job and hit as well. As guys like that go, Cozart is better than a whole lot of other options. I don't like him hitting second, but I don't think you'll find many better SS around. Probably can count on one hand guys in the NL who are better. If Ludwick doesn't get hurt, Phillips is hitting second and no one is railing against Cozart. Dusty just doesn't believe in moving everyone in the order up and letting his best hitters get the most PAs while his weaker hitters sit at the bottom of the order. As a result, we get a revolving door of Heisey, Cozart, Izturis, and other weak hitters filling the spot between Choo and Votto.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (05-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I believe the answer to this is, enough rope to climb out of the hole he is in. OR, enough to hang himself, whichever happens first.

It would help matters if he wasn't asked to bat second.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Lots and lots of it. There are no other options. Just please get him out of the #2 spot.

7. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (05-03-2013)

Cozart had four homers before he hurt his finger bunting on April 20. He hasn't had an extra base hit since.

He's become a ground ball machine, which is not like him. Line drive rate worst among major league qualified hitters entering today (pitchers excluded).

I'm guessing Cozart isn't 100%.

He's not a great hitter, but he's better than this.

9. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (05-04-2013)

Sure, I'd love a SS that is a GGer and can also hit. The only problem is that a Larkin only comes around every so often (like Halley's comet). In between, you're stuck with guys like McMillan, Cardenas, Cozart, and company.

You look at the history of who are considered the best all-time SS's in Red's history and you didn't get both for the most part. And that is indicative of MLB (around the league) too. Those are rare gems that are found only so often.

http://shawns.blogspot.com/2012/12/t...tstops-of.html

I want a good defender up the middle. If he can hit, then consider that a plus.

I grew up with Cardenas and Concepcion. IMO, as far as Red's SS's go, there was no better DEFENDER then Davey. Concepcion was a finesse player, making difficult plays seem effortless. And he wasn't no slouch with the bat either, though that wasn't his strong point.

And he was not only a class act, but also mentored his replacement (Larkin).

Why this nine-time All-Star, five-time Gold Glove winner at shortstop, and one of the main cogs of the BRM, whose numbers at SS are comparable to other SS's in the HOF, isn't in baseball's HOF is a HUGE injustice IMO. Ozzie Smith was a phenomenal SS as a defender, but take a look at his career offensive numbers.... .262 BA .337 OB% .328 SLG% .666 OPS ..... then take a look at Davey's line ..... .267 BA .322 OB% .357 SLG% .679 OPS. And Davey had better power (101 Hrs to Smith's 28)

As for Cozart? He's a quality defender, which is important. And the only reason he's hitting back up in the batting order right now is because of the rash of injuries. Who else is Baker going to put there right now to fill that slot?
    Last edited by GAC; 05-04-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

remdog (05-04-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-04-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    As for Cozart? He's a quality defender, which is important. And the only reason he's hitting back up in the batting order right now is because of the rash of injuries. Who else is Baker going to put there right now to fill that slot?
    Phillips. Bruce. Frazier. Paul. Mesoraco.

All are better options to bat 2nd than Cozart.

I thought Cozart couldn't hit 2nd? Looked just fine knocking in Choo there.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I thought Cozart couldn't hit 2nd? Looked just fine knocking in Choo there.
    One AB and he's your #2? Hope he starts hitting of course...but i would not count on him being consistent.

Cozart is far from this team's problem. His production is typical (or better) for an every day SS. HIs spot in the order is another issue.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

WVRedsFan (05-04-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    One AB and he's your #2? Hope he starts hitting of course...but i would not count on him being consistent.
    Same could be said about any player in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The sarcasm detection on this board is fairly embarrassing sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Cozart is far from this team's problem. His production is typical (or better) for an every day SS. HIs spot in the order is another issue.
    Yep. While I hope Cozart hits better, it isn't his fault Dusty bats him second in the order.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Sure, I'd love a SS that is a GGer and can also hit. The only problem is that a Larkin only comes around every so often (like Halley's comet). In between, you're stuck with guys like McMillan, Cardenas, Cozart, and company.

You look at the history of who are considered the best all-time SS's in Red's history and you didn't get both for the most part. And that is indicative of MLB (around the league) too. Those are rare gems that are found only so often.

http://shawns.blogspot.com/2012/12/t...tstops-of.html

I want a good defender up the middle. If he can hit, then consider that a plus.

I grew up with Cardenas and Concepcion. IMO, as far as Red's SS's go, there was no better DEFENDER then Davey. Concepcion was a finesse player, making difficult plays seem effortless. And he wasn't no slouch with the bat either, though that wasn't his strong point.

And he was not only a class act, but also mentored his replacement (Larkin).

Why this nine-time All-Star, five-time Gold Glove winner at shortstop, and one of the main cogs of the BRM, whose numbers at SS are comparable to other SS's in the HOF, isn't in baseball's HOF is a HUGE injustice IMO. Ozzie Smith was a phenomenal SS as a defender, but take a look at his career offensive numbers.... .262 BA .337 OB% .328 SLG% .666 OPS ..... then take a look at Davey's line ..... .267 BA .322 OB% .357 SLG% .679 OPS. And Davey had better power (101 Hrs to Smith's 28)

Don't be dissing Chico --- he was an All Star 5 times
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Cozart gets all the rope in Texas from me. We are lucky to have him.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?