Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Remember April

Remember April

I see an abundance of dont panic and come back from the ledge threads popping up. As reds fans we should not be on the ledge. The pitching will carry us most likely to the postseason. Once we get ahold of opponents that bring softer pitching the stats will surely get back to what we consider normal. But the entire time lets just keep April in the back of our mind. When a team is challenged you learn more about them when they arent. What did we learn about our team this month?

The Good:

1. The starting pitching is rock solid
    2. This team never quits fighting in a game or overall when faced with injuries.
    3. Choo is an excellent leadoff man

The bad:

1. Votto needs legit protection in the lineup in order to be pitched to
    2. This team has serious contact and run production issues when not hitting homers and when facing better pitching.
    3. This team is not very adept to manufacturing runs against good pitching.
    4. While bringing a big boost to leadoff and showing signs of improvement, choo would probably be better off in a corner spot in the outfield.
    5. Overall the offense is pretty one dimensional.

So what do we learn?

Well one not to panic. The pros of this team, namely the pitching, will carry us and the offense isn't totally anemic versus lesser pitching so it will actually explode for a few huge outbursts.

Two. Don't let any offensive outbursts against lesser opponents haze our perspective of this lineup. The reds do have the firepower to light up some lesser pitching with the longball. But don't let this haze our perception of it versus good pitching. We could instantly go cold.

3. Lesson learned? Last year at the deadline wee did not pick up a leadoff man to help kick start the lineup and help us manufacture runs. It showed in the playoffs too. After the home runs dried up, so did the winning. All that was needed to win with a sweep was one manufactured run in game 3.

Lets not let beating up on the lesser teams and pitching that we are going to do lead us to think offensive changes aren't needed. Votto needs protection and this lineup needs a bat that can be disciplined and give good at bats.

So overall. Don't panic. We will hang in there. But don't put on the rose colored glasses either. This team needs help if it wants to do more than just make the playoffs. So at the deadline. Walt please remember April this year and get the reds some offensive help even if it looks like they are cruising.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Remember April

Getting Ludwick back will hopefully allow us to move Phillips back to the 2 hole.

And honestly, the instant Ludwick went down, the Choo as CF experiment should have ended and Choo should have moved to left and the Reds should have started looking at picking up a plus defensive outfielder to play CF(Casper Wells would have been a great fit IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    Getting Ludwick back will hopefully allow us to move Phillips back to the 2 hole.

And honestly, the instant Ludwick went down, the Choo as CF experiment should have ended and Choo should have moved to left and the Reds should have started looking at picking up a plus defensive outfielder to play CF(Casper Wells would have been a great fit IMO).
    I know heisey didn't perform the greatest and is injured now (stuff we didn't know at the time) but he's have been better in center as would have Robinson. That's actually one of the reasons, if the reds obtain a cleanup hitter I'd like him to play third, that way choo can move from center and you don't have to rely on ludwick coming back. We weren't sure if he was a safe bet at the beginning of the year let alone after an injury.

Choo in center has not really been an issue imo. For a guy just learning a position in nrw parks he' s been alright out there. Of course I don't disagree overall. Adding a DeJesus type and subtracting a Heisey type hitter would be big. Adding a Headley who hits for ower and OBP at third would be bigger. Both bring roster/payroll issues though. I'd love to add Headley...he'd be a beast at GAB. Put that in the pipe dream category though. Anyone can throw out names like Tulo and Headley and Fowler or Winningham....its getting them without giving back more than you'd gain that most forget. Its easy to point out a target that everyone knows about...great GMs also shine at picking up a little heralded guy who breaks out and that is likely the Reds best hope of outside help. Much as it would be exciting I don't see a big name deal even at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Choo in center has not really been an issue imo. For a guy just learning a position in nrw parks he' s been alright out there. Of course I don't disagree overall. Adding a DeJesus type and subtracting a Heisey type hitter would be big. Adding a Headley who hits for ower and OBP at third would be bigger. Both bring roster/payroll issues though. I'd love to add Headley...he'd be a beast at GAB. Put that in the pipe dream category though. Anyone can throw out names like Tulo and Headley and Fowler or Winningham....its getting them without giving back more than you'd gain that most forget. Its easy to point out a target that everyone knows about...great GMs also shine at picking up a little heralded guy who breaks out and that is likely the Reds best hope of outside help. Much as it would be exciting I don't see a big name deal even at the deadline.
    Choo in center is a secondary issue to me but it is there. I'm not under the delusion that to get a fowler or Headley type that'd wed be talking about trading small pieces. I think they'd expect a cueto or bailey like return to start negotiations. The padres are talking about extending Headley anyway but he wants to wait til seasons end. But I digress really I think the level of player the reds will seek at the deadline is proportional to the success of leake and cingrani. If either of those can step it up to be an upper rotation type then I think Walt may pull the trigger on a deal involving a pitcher for an impact player. If not I think the moved that will be made will probably weigh on the development if billy Hamilton and the recovery/return of ludwick.

I agree on the lesser known thing. A guy that is known but never brought up by reds fans that I think would be a great fit is Rios from the white sox.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-03-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Turn Off Ads?