Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

I know this is a radical out of the box thought, but Cueto hasn't been healthy for real games since last September now. The potential for injury was always a knock on his status as a prospect in the minor leagues. It appears there is a chance that might now be a real concern.

He's turned into a real deal big time pitcher the past few years. But now that he's re-injured, I think you have to wonder about his future durability.

Is there any chance you would even consider exploring the trade market for Johnny Cueto this offseason?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

I wouldn't actively look at the market. He doesn't have an arm injury.

4. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-05-2013)

I would consider trading anyone on the roster if the price is right and any GM worth his money would do the same.

6. Likes:

1940757690 (05-03-2013),Griffey012 (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't actively look at the market. He doesn't have an arm injury.
    Maybe not now. But I think you have consider that injuries could cause him to compensate in his mechanics in a way that could cause him to either further injure himself or maybe cause ineffectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I would consider trading anyone on the roster if the price is right and any GM worth his money would do the same.
    Right right, we all would trade anyone for Stephen Strasburg + Bryce Harper, but I'm talking about for a realistic package.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Maybe not now. But I think you have consider that injuries could cause him to compensate in his mechanics in a way that could cause him to either further injure himself or maybe cause ineffectiveness.
    Sure. But so could taking a grounder off of the foot. But you don't trade a guy because of that.

Every pitcher is an injury risk.

Getting a pitcher up to a #1 is the hardest thing to do in the game, I'd say no at this point

11. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (05-03-2013),redsfanmia (05-03-2013),Spitball (05-04-2013)

Consider it? Absolutely, but only for a solid return.

No. Next question please.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

You always listen, but the Reds shouldn't be actively looking to move him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Chip R (05-04-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I always consider the Reds payroll limitations. They can't pay all of the starting pitching that we have now when they're all due. Reds will always have to mix in some young under control guys to keep payroll in check.

Of Latos, Bailey and Cueto.............I probably shop Cueto first due to his short stature and durability issues.

And the Reds could use an influx of talent in their minor leagues.

Right right, we all would trade anyone for Stephen Strasburg + Bryce Harper, but I'm talking about for a realistic package.
    Coincidentally enough, both players who've been injured already this year. FWIW, I could see entertaining it for a package more realistic than that hypothetical. A straight up for another #1? A very strong, somewhat younger #2 with an interesting AA or AAA OF prospect? Scenarios like that could be realistic and, imho, worth listening to.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

I know this is a radical out of the box thought, but Cueto hasn't been healthy for real games since last September now. The potential for injury was always a knock on his status as a prospect in the minor leagues. It appears there is a chance that might now be a real concern.

He's turned into a real deal big time pitcher the past few years. But now that he's re-injured, I think you have to wonder about his future durability.

Is there any chance you would even consider exploring the trade market for Johnny Cueto this offseason?
    I wouldn't hold back from looking at his market simply because I don't believe we will be able to afford Latos, Bailey, and Cueto. But I wouldn't do it until this offseason, and unless we get two blue chip prospects back.

Makes no sense.

Teams don't "overpay" very often anymore in prospects. Nowadays you see teams trading prospects for established talent based on organizational needs. The reason to trade to Cueto would be to move our window based on having poor major league talent and high end lower level prospects.

The Reds aren't that stage. We spent years trying to develop a prospect into a Cueto. It's the perfect time to keep him. Trading him would be purely self-immolation.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-04-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (05-04-2013)

Not now. I think the payroll situation will require moving one of the "big three" but that can wait til after this season. Cueto in the rotation is worth a lot more than prospects or almost any hitter they'd acquire and the payroll problem can wait. If Cingrani develops into the ace his boosters expect and Corcino and Stephenson have good miL seasons then they have an. easier decision...who to keep not whether they'll deal one. But not this year.

Turn Off Ads?