Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

Not the time to be selling on Cueto. If this is a vacuum question, then okay, but a) he's had a fairly significant injury history recently, and b) the Reds are trying to win a WS. In reality, this is a non-question.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    You can never have enough depth. Just ask the Dodgers.
    As conventional wisdom goes, I think the above pretty true. But there are obvious exceptions. Since I'm most familiar with the Nationals along with the Reds, they provide an easy example. Got rid of Lannan. Risked losing Chris Young earlier this year. Too much depth on pitching through the system. Likewise for OF/1B which is why the Nats (foolishly imho) let Michael Morse go in order to keep LaRoche.

Sometimes--not usually--you can have the good problem of too much depth at most any position, including pitching.

I continue to think you always listen. Unlikely it'd make sense to trade Cueto while we are clearly contending (agree with that point). But it's a fair question and one I'd guess the Reds brass has discussed. Then again, now that we know Cingrani is human....
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Homer Bailey is arbitration eligible after this season, and free agent eligible after the 2014 season. He only signed a one year contract before this year started. Is he going to test the free agent waters after next year? Can we afford to keep him? Did we pay too much for Votto's contract where we will be unable to keep anyone who will want substantial money? And what about Arroyo? He will be 37 next year. Will he be resigned or non-tendered? Because of the unknowns with Bailey and Arroyo, I would be very hesitant to trade any of our starters.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Homer Bailey is arbitration eligible after this season, and free agent eligible after the 2014 season. He only signed a one year contract before this year started. Is he going to test the free agent waters after next year? Can we afford to keep him? Did we pay too much for Votto's contract where we will be unable to keep anyone who will want substantial money? And what about Arroyo? He will be 37 next year. Will he be resigned or non-tendered? Because of the unknowns with Bailey and Arroyo, I would be very hesitant to trade any of our starters.
    It's a great point but maybe depends on how high one's confidence level about talent on the farm? If Cingrani's the only real prospect everyone likes to make the rotation in the next 18 months, then I'd have to agree with you. If you value any other Louisville pitcher, then maybe okay to think about the OP's question?

I think that's why I got the idea for this thread actually. Arroyo is almost certainly gone at the end of this contract. We need to keep reliable pitchers. I think IMO Bailey and Latos might be more reliable going forward than Cueto is, but I'm not sure what the likelihood of us being able to keep all of them is.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    It's a great point but maybe depends on how high one's confidence level about talent on the farm? If Cingrani's the only real prospect everyone likes to make the rotation in the next 18 months, then I'd have to agree with you. If you value any other Louisville pitcher, then maybe okay to think about the OP's question?
    I do like Corcino. Stephenson will be up in a few years as well.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

The talent level at AA and AAA seems to be very poor right now. Cingrani was, obviously, the best we had on the farm. It's only a month into their seasons, but almost everyone is struggling badly. Corcino is 1-4 with an ERA of almost 8.00. There are a few older pitchers (Reineke, Reynolds, Galarraga) that aren't doing badly, but these guys are already around 30 years old or so, and have been in the majors before. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on winning on these guys. And the offensive side of the minors is in worse shape. Billy Hamilton, Lutz, and others, are struggling to stay above a .200 batting average.

The talent level at AA and AAA seems to be very poor right now. Cingrani was, obviously, the best we had on the farm. It's only a month into their seasons, but almost everyone is struggling badly. Corcino is 1-4 with an ERA of almost 8.00. There are a few older pitchers (Reineke, Reynolds, Galarraga) that aren't doing badly, but these guys are already around 30 years old or so, and have been in the majors before. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on winning on these guys. And the offensive side of the minors is in worse shape. Billy Hamilton, Lutz, and others, are struggling to stay above a .200 batting average.
    I don't follow the farm teams as closely as I'd like but, as you acknowledge, you're using just a month of data here. For you (or anyone) who knows all the prospects enough to know last couple of years, is it really fair to say there's little-to-no potential for a bona fide starting pitcher besides Cingrani by September, 2014? Hard to imagine.

I have to mention this, because I've never seen it brought up before...but Cueto looks like he's gained at least 30 pounds in the last couple of years.

His pitching style is hard on his body, and if it's out of shape and lacking flexibility etc.., I can see why he's constantly having the problems he's having (strains and pulls).

Might be time to talk to him about that too?

Turn Off Ads?