Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

  1. #31
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,128

    Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

    Not the time to be selling on Cueto. If this is a vacuum question, then okay, but a) he's had a fairly significant injury history recently, and b) the Reds are trying to win a WS. In reality, this is a non-question.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    You can never have enough depth. Just ask the Dodgers.
    As conventional wisdom goes, I think the above pretty true. But there are obvious exceptions. Since I'm most familiar with the Nationals along with the Reds, they provide an easy example. Got rid of Lannan. Risked losing Chris Young earlier this year. Too much depth on pitching through the system. Likewise for OF/1B which is why the Nats (foolishly imho) let Michael Morse go in order to keep LaRoche.

    Sometimes--not usually--you can have the good problem of too much depth at most any position, including pitching.

    I continue to think you always listen. Unlikely it'd make sense to trade Cueto while we are clearly contending (agree with that point). But it's a fair question and one I'd guess the Reds brass has discussed. Then again, now that we know Cingrani is human....
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Big Bear City, CA
    Posts
    607

    Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

    Homer Bailey is arbitration eligible after this season, and free agent eligible after the 2014 season. He only signed a one year contract before this year started. Is he going to test the free agent waters after next year? Can we afford to keep him? Did we pay too much for Votto's contract where we will be unable to keep anyone who will want substantial money? And what about Arroyo? He will be 37 next year. Will he be resigned or non-tendered? Because of the unknowns with Bailey and Arroyo, I would be very hesitant to trade any of our starters.

  5. #34
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

    Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Homer Bailey is arbitration eligible after this season, and free agent eligible after the 2014 season. He only signed a one year contract before this year started. Is he going to test the free agent waters after next year? Can we afford to keep him? Did we pay too much for Votto's contract where we will be unable to keep anyone who will want substantial money? And what about Arroyo? He will be 37 next year. Will he be resigned or non-tendered? Because of the unknowns with Bailey and Arroyo, I would be very hesitant to trade any of our starters.
    It's a great point but maybe depends on how high one's confidence level about talent on the farm? If Cingrani's the only real prospect everyone likes to make the rotation in the next 18 months, then I'd have to agree with you. If you value any other Louisville pitcher, then maybe okay to think about the OP's question?
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  6. #35
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,694
    Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Homer Bailey is arbitration eligible after this season, and free agent eligible after the 2014 season. He only signed a one year contract before this year started. Is he going to test the free agent waters after next year? Can we afford to keep him? Did we pay too much for Votto's contract where we will be unable to keep anyone who will want substantial money? And what about Arroyo? He will be 37 next year. Will he be resigned or non-tendered? Because of the unknowns with Bailey and Arroyo, I would be very hesitant to trade any of our starters.
    I think that's why I got the idea for this thread actually. Arroyo is almost certainly gone at the end of this contract. We need to keep reliable pitchers. I think IMO Bailey and Latos might be more reliable going forward than Cueto is, but I'm not sure what the likelihood of us being able to keep all of them is.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  7. #36
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,694
    Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    It's a great point but maybe depends on how high one's confidence level about talent on the farm? If Cingrani's the only real prospect everyone likes to make the rotation in the next 18 months, then I'd have to agree with you. If you value any other Louisville pitcher, then maybe okay to think about the OP's question?
    I do like Corcino. Stephenson will be up in a few years as well.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Big Bear City, CA
    Posts
    607

    Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

    The talent level at AA and AAA seems to be very poor right now. Cingrani was, obviously, the best we had on the farm. It's only a month into their seasons, but almost everyone is struggling badly. Corcino is 1-4 with an ERA of almost 8.00. There are a few older pitchers (Reineke, Reynolds, Galarraga) that aren't doing badly, but these guys are already around 30 years old or so, and have been in the majors before. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on winning on these guys. And the offensive side of the minors is in worse shape. Billy Hamilton, Lutz, and others, are struggling to stay above a .200 batting average.

  9. #38
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

    Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    The talent level at AA and AAA seems to be very poor right now. Cingrani was, obviously, the best we had on the farm. It's only a month into their seasons, but almost everyone is struggling badly. Corcino is 1-4 with an ERA of almost 8.00. There are a few older pitchers (Reineke, Reynolds, Galarraga) that aren't doing badly, but these guys are already around 30 years old or so, and have been in the majors before. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on winning on these guys. And the offensive side of the minors is in worse shape. Billy Hamilton, Lutz, and others, are struggling to stay above a .200 batting average.
    I don't follow the farm teams as closely as I'd like but, as you acknowledge, you're using just a month of data here. For you (or anyone) who knows all the prospects enough to know last couple of years, is it really fair to say there's little-to-no potential for a bona fide starting pitcher besides Cingrani by September, 2014? Hard to imagine.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  10. #39
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,012

    Re: Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

    I have to mention this, because I've never seen it brought up before...but Cueto looks like he's gained at least 30 pounds in the last couple of years.

    His pitching style is hard on his body, and if it's out of shape and lacking flexibility etc.., I can see why he's constantly having the problems he's having (strains and pulls).

    Might be time to talk to him about that too?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25