Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think we've found our new closer

Re: I think we've found our new closer

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    This thread can be salvaged. Does anyone see JJ Hoover as a future closer?
    No
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    No
    Disagree. Don't see any way he could be as dominant as Chapman but he could realistically be a league-average closer.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Yes. He could put up similar numbers as Chapman ... without throwing 100 mph. .
    In what alternate universe?

(I'm hoping) the point of the debated comment here was that Hoover's save percentage would probably be pretty close to Chapman's save percentage.

Without having the numbers in front of me, I remember hearing that Coco's save percentage as a Red is very comparable to Chapman's.

The point is, an absolute nails closer like Chapman isn't that much more valuable than an above average, or even a serviceable closer.

6. Likes:

RedEye (05-05-2013),redsfandan (05-06-2013),RiverRat13 (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    (I'm hoping) the point of the debated comment here was that Hoover's save percentage would probably be pretty close to Chapman's save percentage.

Without having the numbers in front of me, I remember hearing that Coco's save percentage as a Red is very comparable to Chapman's.

The point is, an absolute nails closer like Chapman isn't that much more valuable than an above average, or even a serviceable closer.
    Off the top of my head, Weathers had 6 blown saves his last year, Coco had either 5 or 6 bs all of his years, and Chapman had 5 last year. Not saying Weathers or Coco were anywhere near as automatic in their saves as Chapman was; but the end results were not much different.

8. Likes:

redsfandan (05-06-2013)

Actually, the point is that save percentage is a lousy stat to evaluate anyone, including a closer. Too many easy ones, and too many important innings that aren't save situations.

I have no doubt Hoover would put up similar save numbers as Chapman. I actually think LeCure would too. But neither would be as overall effective as Chapman in terms if helping the Reds win games.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-05-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Actually, the point is that save percentage is a lousy stat to evaluate anyone, including a closer. Too many easy ones, and too many important innings that aren't save situations.

I have no doubt Hoover would put up similar save numbers as Chapman. I actually think LeCure would too. But neither would be as overall effective as Chapman in terms if helping the Reds win games.
    Unlike every other position in the bullpen, the runs that a closer gives up that don't give up the lead simply don't matter.

12. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-05-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    No

Hoover could easily be a closer some day.

I could see him being our closer next year if Chapman is moved to the rotation.

14. Likes:

757690 (05-05-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    During the broadcast, they showed Chapman (sitting next to Simon, I think), shivering his butt off. Lesson learned: Chapman does not pitch when it's cold.
    Or give him an extra thick wool uniform?

Overall, with the way roles are currently defined, what actually matters is how often a closer converts his opportunity to close out the other team.

The point was that Hoover would likely convert around as many save opportunities as Chapman. Not saying they are equal pitchers obviously, or that there peripherals wouldn't be vastly different, I'm just pointing out that a valuable closer really isn't that valuable.

It's a lousy stat to evaluate talent, sure, but it's actually quite relevant in that even the weaker pitchers still wind up closing games at a similar rate. That indicates that the advantage of having your best pitcher(s) as a closer isn't all that great.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that close % is a good measure of a pitcher's ability. They're only using it to show that even average relievers wind up getting the job done at a similar rate. In the course of 50 save opportunities, the difference between the best closers in baseball and very mediocre closers is only about 6-7 additional saves.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It's a lousy stat to evaluate talent, sure, but it's actually quite relevant in that even the weaker pitchers still wind up closing games at a similar rate. That indicates that the advantage of having your best pitcher(s) as a closer isn't all that great.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that close % is a good measure of a pitcher's ability. They're only using it to show that even average relievers wind up getting the job done at a similar rate. In the course of 50 save opportunities, the difference between the best closers in baseball and very mediocre closers is only about 6-7 additional saves.
    But isn't 6 or 7 extra saves a pretty big deal? Wouldn't that translate to several more wins? Last season, Joey Votto had a WAR of 5.6. So your saying the difference is the same as the difference between Joey Votto and a replacement player?

I actually don't think it's that much, but if it is, then it is a big deal. A huge deal in fact.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-05-2013)

Overall, with the way roles are currently defined, what actually matters is how often a closer converts his opportunity to close out the other team.

The point was that Hoover would likely convert around as many save opportunities as Chapman. Not saying they are equal pitchers obviously, or that there peripherals wouldn't be vastly different, I'm just pointing out that a valuable closer really isn't that valuable.
    I completely agree that Dusty's handling of the pen makes the point moot.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But isn't 6 or 7 extra saves a pretty big deal? Wouldn't that translate to several more wins? Last season, Joey Votto had a WAR of 5.6. So your saying the difference is the same as the difference between Joey Votto and a replacement player?

I actually don't think it's that much, but if it is, then it is a big deal. A huge deal in fact.
    Among players that hold on to their jobs, it's not quite that much of a difference. But compared to the bottom quartile of closers that are typically rotated out of their jobs (whom I would consider 'replacement level'), it's roughly 95% compared to 80% (ish).

We can't assume that all of those games would be lost, though. After all, giving up a pair of runs with a 2-run lead is a blown save, but that's not to say your team doesn't win the game in the bottom of the 9th or in extras. If you assume three losses and three wins, then one could look at it as a closer being three wins above replacement.

Last year, there were 30 pitchers that had more than 3 WAR as starters with Verlander being 7 WAR.

I'm not suggesting 6-7 saves isn't a big deal. But I'm suggesting it's not as big a difference between the best starters and their replacements.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Hoover could easily be a closer some day.

I could see him being our closer next year if Chapman is moved to the rotation.
    That is one hell of an indictment of Broxton.

Turn Off Ads?