Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

Thread: I think we've found our new closer

  1. #16
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    My son (Patrick Bateman) was joking with me after the game that someone would start a thread about this very topic.
    I thought Puffy was your son.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    There's no doubt Hoover has good stuff, I don't know about closer though... yet.

    What I did like was Dusty's decision to get Chapman out of there today. He clearly didn't have it, and Hoover was a good choice. He's got strikeout stuff and we needed an out in the worst way.
    At the time Chapman was pitching to his second-to-last and final batters, there were posts on the game thread challenging the Chapman pull decision as too late. All worked out in the end of course but, looking at it objectively, should Hoover have been brought in a batter or two sooner? I think so. A bit too close for comfort; would have been very easy for us to lose that one as deep as Chapman went.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  4. #18
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,829

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I thought Puffy was your son.
    Nope, but Jay Bruce is.

  5. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (05-04-2013)

  6. #19
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    My son (Patrick Bateman) was joking with me after the game that someone would start a thread about this very topic.

    It's hard to believe that something so preposterous actually came true.
    This thread isn't meant to be serious obviously, but I really expected some mouth breather to tweet that at Fay.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/4/14. I promise.

  7. #20
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,659

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Our closer (Chapman) allowed 1 run in the whole month of April. He's allowed to have an off-night. And in last night's game I think there was a chance of snow flurries. LOL
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  8. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,531

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I thought Puffy was your son.
    I'm guessing I would know that if it was true.

  9. #22
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Our closer (Chapman) allowed 1 run in the whole month of April. He's allowed to have an off-night. And in last night's game I think there was a chance of snow flurries. LOL
    As Brantley pointed out during the game, several of Chapman's previous bad outings have happened in cold weather. Should we be surprised that a pitcher who grew up on a tropical island might not pitch well in winter weather? It is a worrisome pattern for the playoffs.
    /r/reds

  10. #23
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Yes. He could put up similar numbers as Chapman ... without throwing 100 mph.

    Which would free up Chapman to go into the rotation as he should have at the beginning of the season.
    In no way would JJ Hoover put up "similar numbers" as Aroldis Chapman as a closer. You do realize Chapman had one of the best seasons ever by a closer in 2012, correct? (Actually, judging by your post, you probably don't realize that.) I'm a big JJ Hoover fan, but let's not get crazy here. I think he could be a solid closer, but he would not approach the numbers that Chapman posted.

  11. #24
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,874

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    In no way would JJ Hoover put up "similar numbers" as Aroldis Chapman as a closer. You do realize Chapman had one of the best seasons ever by a closer in 2012, correct? (Actually, judging by your post, you probably don't realize that.) I'm a big JJ Hoover fan, but let's not get crazy here. I think he could be a solid closer, but he would not approach the numbers that Chapman posted.
    Well, that depends on what numbers one was talking about. Could Hoover have converted the same number of saves? I think that is an argument you could make. Would he have had 6 billion strikeouts to go with them? That probably isn't an argument you could make.

  12. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,531

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, that depends on what numbers one was talking about. Could Hoover have converted the same number of saves? I think that is an argument you could make. Would he have had 6 billion strikeouts to go with them? That probably isn't an argument you could make.
    I think the numbers which define how good a pitcher is.

    Hoover might get as many saves, but it would require more luck in terms of BABIP.

    Just becuase one player might get similiar numbers as another due to randomness and luck isn't a particularly good argument that means he's as good as him.

  13. #26
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,320

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    As Brantley pointed out during the game, several of Chapman's previous bad outings have happened in cold weather. Should we be surprised that a pitcher who grew up on a tropical island might not pitch well in winter weather? It is a worrisome pattern for the playoffs.
    During the broadcast, they showed Chapman (sitting next to Simon, I think), shivering his butt off. Lesson learned: Chapman does not pitch when it's cold.

  14. #27
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, that depends on what numbers one was talking about. Could Hoover have converted the same number of saves? I think that is an argument you could make. Would he have had 6 billion strikeouts to go with them? That probably isn't an argument you could make.
    Let's keep it simple: Overall numbers. No need to cherry pick one or two stats (save percentage, K:IP ratio). Taking a look at the entire package, there is no way Hoover could even approach what Chapman accomplished in 2012.

  15. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    842

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    During the broadcast, they showed Chapman (sitting next to Simon, I think), shivering his butt off. Lesson learned: Chapman does not pitch when it's cold.
    If true Chapman will be useless in the playoffs against teams north of Cincy.

  16. #29
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,808

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    If true Chapman will be useless in the playoffs against teams north of Cincy.
    Not worth worrying about. Cross that bridge later.

  17. #30
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: I think we've found our new closer

    Save #2 for Hoover.
    /r/reds


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25