Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If the Reds win central...

Re: If the Reds win central...

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I can definitely see that in the amount if major league players the reds have pumped out lately. I don't want to see the focus change but perhaps the reds need to start looking into major league scouting and team construction because I believe they are past the phase of young and up and coming and into a phase of bring a legitimate contender year in and year out.
    I like this analysis.... and wonder when there is going to be some accountability for the inability for the coaches up in the majors to get more out of some of these hitters.
    Every trade that has been made lately has helped the club but you also see how it seems they are trading all the best prospects, while the ones that they keep are not progressing at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I like this analysis.... and wonder when there is going to be some accountability for the inability for the coaches up in the majors to get more out of some of these hitters.
    Every trade that has been made lately has helped the club but you also see how it seems they are trading all the best prospects, while the ones that they keep are not progressing at all.
    That seems to be the case. The only prospect I see showing any semblance of plate discipline is Mez. I'd love to see Bruce improve and reach the potential we had set for him, but honestly Bruce as is isn't necessarily a bad thing. Same with cozart in think hell hit better but his D is stellar. I think we are learning Frazier, while he has great pop and works hard, may be more of a platoon type player. Getting these kind of guys out of your system isnt abad thing but at the same time you want developed disciplined guys at the heart of your order and staff. I have no knock on our pitching development, but as far as our hitting I think we have been lax and been ok with putting some sort of stop gap after votto in hopes one of our guys step up. I think we need to shift from that and find an established major league player of quality to hit behind votto. As far as the coaching staff I think the leash on dusty and co needs to be extremely shortened. On a daily basis I see him make poor personnel decisions, questionable player development decisions, run out suspect lineups, leave starters in too long and misuse the bullpen. I have friends that are cubs cards and giants fans. All teams that have dusty experience or are our rivals and they all tell me that the reds biggest issue is dusty. This points to me as a sign that it's just not us as reds fans being whiny or knit picky about it. So pretty much I think we still need to keep our nose to the grindstone as far as development is concerned but as far as the MLB level goes the reds need to put players that have a track record of success at the heart of their order and start to question our management. I know its early still but at a certain point we have to pause and see this team is not playing up to its talent level and potential even when considering the injuries
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-09-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    That seems to be the case. The only prospect I see showing any semblance of plate discipline is Mez. I'd love to see Bruce improve and reach the potential we had set for him, but honestly Bruce as is isn't necessarily a bad thing. Same with cozart in think hell hit better but his D is stellar. I think we are learning Frazier, while he has great pop and works hard, may be more of a platoon type player. Getting these kind of guys out of your system isnt abad thing but at the same time you want developed disciplined guys at the heart of your order and staff. I have no knock on our pitching development, but as far as our hitting I think we have been lax and been ok with putting some sort of stop gap after votto in hopes one of our guys step up. I think we need to shift from that and find an established major league player of quality to hit behind votto. As far as the coaching staff I think the leash on dusty and co needs to be extremely shortened. On a daily basis I see him make poor personnel decisions, questionable player development decisions, run out suspect lineups, leave starters in too long and misuse the bullpen. I have friends that are cubs cards and giants fans. All teams that have dusty experience or are our rivals and they all tell me that the reds biggest issue is dusty. This points to me as a sign that it's just not us as reds fans being whiny or knit picky about it. So pretty much I think we still need to keep our nose to the grindstone as far as development is concerned but as far as the MLB level goes the reds need to put players that have a track record of success at the heart of their order and start to question our management. I know its early still but at a certain point we have to pause and see this team is not playing up to its talent level and potential even when considering the injuries
    Imagine this team with Joe Maddon as manager. /drool

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Imagine this team with Joe Maddon as manager. /drool
    It'd ok to dream but I don't think that happens. Dusty has player personality management skills. I wish there was more in game talent. Lets give him the benefit if the doubt for now because of the injuries but if the underperforming continues I think it would be a good idea to start looking elsewhere.

Turn Off Ads?