Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds stats through 30 games, 2013

Reds stats through 30 games, 2013

Reds went 4-6 are now 16-14 in third place in NL Central, trail Cards by 2.5 games. Reds are 12-4 at home and 4-10 on the road. Reds are 5-8 against Central Division opponents. Reds currently second in NL in runs scored, third in fewest runs allowed, for RS/RA of +23 trailing Cards, Rockies and Braves in that department. Marshall back, Parra DL. Heisey DL, Lutz up from AA.

Offense - Reds OPS crashed from .768 to .705. wOBA went from .334 to .308. Reds are eighth in NL in both of these measures. Reds are now .244 BA with league average .248. Reds OBP is .327 with league average .314. Reds SLG is .378 with league average at .393. Reds OPS a touch below league average of .707.

Reds OPS at home is .769, fourth in NL. Reds OPS on road is .625 next to last in NL.

Reds OPS v. lefties is .797 third best in league. OPS v. righties is .663 third worst in NL.

Reds OPS with runners on base is .740, seventh in league. With runners in scoring position, Reds OPS is .801, fourth best in NL. With bases loaded, sixth in league, at .878. With men in scoring position, two outs, Reds at .728, fifth in NL. (Cards with astronomical .994 to lead league by 151 points in hitting with two outs, RISP. Also with a healthy lead in hitting with RISP generally.)

Reds tied for fewest stolen bases in NL with 8. Reds team K rate for hitters is eighth in NL at 20%. Reds team walk rate leads NL at 9.9%. Wonder which two guys cause that stat. Reds ISO power is 10th in NL at .134. Reds team BABIP is .289, tenth in NL. Rockies lead with .325 BABIP.

Choo "slumped" to a .439 wOBA and a 1.008 OPS. Choo still leads NL in OBP for qualified players with .467. Votto now at .913 OPS and .454 OBP. Choo has a .390 BABIP. Votto has a .377 BABIP. Are they lucky or just great? Choo has a .606 OPS hitting lefties. Votto has a .947 against lefties.

In looking at Reds' low SLG, usually a team strength, here are some individual SLG numbers: Choo .541; Phillips .482; Frazier .466; Votto .459; Paul .386; Bruce .363; Cozart .336; Mesoraco .320; Heisey .293; Hanigan .079.

In 2012, Votto slugged .567; Bruce slugged .514; Paul .465; Heisey .401; Cozart .399; Hanigan .338 to note those with large downward shifts.

Pitching - Reds team ERA improved during this stretch from 3.48 to 3.37, third best in NL. Starting staff with second best 3.07. Cards with unbelievable 2.07 starting ERA. Reds bullpen with 4.02 ERA, ninth in NL.

Reds pen does have a .238 BA against, sixth best in NL, and a WHIP of 1.24, sixth best in NL. Pen also has a 8.86 K/9, third best in NL and a 2.87 K/BB rate, fifth best in NL. Reds pen's downfall so far appears to be in SLG against, which is .427, twelfth best in league. Pen tied for most homers allowed with 13. Also allowed 19 doubles, tied for 4th-6th most in NL.

Reds pitching staff has best home ERA in NL with 2.32. On road has 4.81 ERA which is 12th in NL. Reds FIP is 3.61, third best in NL, improved from last time. XFIP is 3.56 second best in NL behind Cards.

Cingrani 2-0 in three starts since Cueto was hurt. Cingrani has 0.7 WAR second best to Latos on staff. Cingrani has a 14.00 K rate so far with 28Ks and 4 BBs in 18 innings. Only Reds pitchers, excluding Freeman, above 4.00 ERA are Leake (4.15), Simon (4.91), Broxton (5.84 - one terrible outing), and Parra (8.10). Chapman ERA up to 2.57 with bad outing in cold Wrigley yesterday.

Best Reds K/BB rates so far are Cingrani, 7.00, Latos 4.63, Chapman 4.40. Lowest BB rates on the team are Marshall at 0%; Arroyo at 3.1%; Latos at 5.1%. Chapman at 8.9% and Lecure at 12.0% walk rates. Only Reds pitchers with WHIP over 1.3 are Leake at 1.53 and Parra at 2.70. (Freeman excluded.)

Hoover has vastly improved now with 1.17 WHIP and 3.29 ERA. Ondrusek holding own with 1.00 WHIP and 3.60 ERA, 3.00 K/BB ratio.

Fielding - Reds made six errors this stretch, now with 14, fifth fewest in league. DBacks amazingly with only 5 all season. Reds UZR rating dramatically improved. Last time was 0.3. This time it is 6.0, fourth best in NL. Outfield Arm component improved and now Reds "Range runs" component is positive 3.7. Reds third best in NL in UZR/150 at 5.3.

Notably, Todd Frazier's UZR rating is 3.7, tied for best among NL third basemen. Reds starting infielders all with positive UZR ratings, Phillips 2.0, Votto 1.3, Cozart 1.0. Choo at -3.9 at bottom of Reds list. But Cards Jay (-5.9) and Dodgers Kemp (-6.8) even worse among NL CFers by this measure.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-05-2013), Homer Bailey (05-05-2013), New York Red (05-04-2013), OnBaseMachine (05-04-2013), oneupper (05-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds stats through 30 games, 2013

When you're 2nd in scoring and 3rd in fewest runs allowed, yet you're only two games over .500, something isn't clicking. I would say inconsistency is this team's biggest issue right now.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    When you're 2nd in scoring and 3rd in fewest runs allowed, yet you're only two games over .500, something isn't clicking. I would say inconsistency is this team's biggest issue right now.
    I think the big issue is offense, the runs scored stat is influenced by a few huge scoring days. But I'm hopeful the offense will take off with home cooking and some lesser opponents.

Bruce often feasts at GABP so maybe that will happen. Cozart may be coming around. XPaul is still a fav of mine, hope they keep using him.

Reds owe Cingrani a debt of gratitude. Filled in admirably for Cueto.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-04-2013 at 07:58 PM.

6. Likes:

1940757690 (05-04-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It's really just a sign that things will get better. This team has all the potential in the world, and it's a matter of executing that potential. Still no worries thus far--I have faith there will be an upgrade in the next month or two and that Pittsburgh and St. Louis will be scuffling for second place.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

And once again, thank you KC, for all your work on these capsules. They're consistently a must-read and a good picture of how the team is progressing.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    And once again, thank you KC, for all your work on these capsules. They're consistently a must-read and a good picture of how the team is progressing.
    Yes, these are always professional level stuff. One of the biggest perks of this board.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Turn Off Ads?