Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Affable Opponent

Re: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reminds me of the quote about Bob Gibson. "Gibson is the luckiest pitcher in the game. He only pitches on the days the other team doesn't score any runs."
    Thanks for the Gibby quote. If any of you Reds want to blame a person for making me a Cardinals fan, blame Bob Gibson. I watched him for the first time in 1967...and I have been a Cardinals fan ever since! Didn't make my mom very happy (born and raised in Cincy) but hey, who can argue with greatness?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Cards have an American league lineup, dominant rotation and suspect pen. They just brought up phenom pitching prospect Carlos Martinez and added him to the pen like they did with Shelby Miller last year. Carlos is a beast. Future top of the rotation guy.

Ahh yes, Bob Gibson. All time great pitcher, and All Time 1st class jerk. Not an attack on anyone at all, I just had the 'pleasure' of meeting him at an autograph session (for which he was paid, i might add). My friend had his son with him, and simply asked to him sign, and write, 'To Dylan'. With the little boy right there, Gibson curtly said, "i'm NOT doin that", signed it, and basically tossed it back at my friend and his son. A complete jerk. Of course, I've heard some of the same stuff with many athletes, including some of our favorite Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reminds me of the quote about Bob Gibson. "Gibson is the luckiest pitcher in the game. He only pitches on the days the other team doesn't score any runs."
    They ought to lower the mound or something because he gets so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMemphis View Post
    Ahh yes, Bob Gibson. All time great pitcher, and All Time 1st class jerk. Not an attack on anyone at all, I just had the 'pleasure' of meeting him at an autograph session (for which he was paid, i might add). My friend had his son with him, and simply asked to him sign, and write, 'To Dylan'. With the little boy right there, Gibson curtly said, "i'm NOT doin that", signed it, and basically tossed it back at my friend and his son. A complete jerk. Of course, I've heard some of the same stuff with many athletes, including some of our favorite Reds.
    Drat, wrong post to quote. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by TDogg View Post
    Thanks for the Gibby quote. If any of you Reds want to blame a person for making me a Cardinals fan, blame Bob Gibson. I watched him for the first time in 1967...and I have been a Cardinals fan ever since! Didn't make my mom very happy (born and raised in Cincy) but hey, who can argue with greatness?
    You know, you CAN be a fan of a player without jumping ship to their entire team....

Just saying...

I don't know if I would call it luck. Fortuitous, yes.

Right now the Redbirds are playing at a high level, primarily due to some lights out starting pitching. Their bullpen has blown at least 4 games, and their bats have been so-so.

The starting pitching cannot sustain a 2.00 ERA for a season, nor can their average with RISP. By the same token, the bats are starting to heat up and the bullpen will improve.

FWIW, the Cardinals had the same record as today exactly 1 year ago and basically played .500 ball for the rest of the season.

It's a long season and it will go down to the wire.
    Last edited by SpiritofStLouis; 05-06-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added text
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    I don't know if I would call it luck. Fortuitous, yes.

Right now the Redbirds are playing at a high level, primarily due to some lights out starting pitching. Their bullpen has blown at least 4 games, and their bats have been so-so.

The starting pitching cannot sustain a 2.00 ERA for a season, nor can their average with RISP. By the same token, the bats are starting to heat up and the bullpen will improve.

FWIW, the Cardinals had the same record as today exactly 1 year ago and basically played .500 ball for the rest of the season.

It's a long season and it will go down to the wire.
    I think the biggest difference from last year though is that they seemed to have started to fix the bullpen way earlier than they did last year. Last year, it was around Julyish that they finally got great production from their pen. They have made early moves such as bringing up Martinez, switching closer roles, to where I think they will be a bit more consistent.

If you're going to have problems, the bullpen is generally the easiest to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    If you're going to have problems, the bullpen is generally the easiest to fix.
    For the most part I agree.

I don't know what I would think right now if I was a cards fan. They have clearly looked like the best team in the division and really haven't gone through a rough stretch, yet they are still only 2.5 games up in the division.

The reds have been pretty average so far, while playing a tough schedule. The Cards schedule hasn't been easy but has not been as tough as the Reds schedule so far. When you combine the inevitable Cards rough stretch with a Reds hot stretch, you would think that lead will evaporate quickly. Add in the Reds only having one series left in St. Louis, with the Cards having to travel to Cincy three times, and you have to like where the Reds are right now.

Based solely on the eye test the Cards look like the best team in the division, but when you analyze the numbers you would almost rather be in the Reds position.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    I don't know what I would think right now if I was a cards fan. They have clearly looked like the best team in the division and really haven't gone through a rough stretch, yet they are still only 2.5 games up in the division.

The reds have been pretty average so far, while playing a tough schedule. The Cards schedule hasn't been easy but has not been as tough as the Reds schedule so far. When you combine the inevitable Cards rough stretch with a Reds hot stretch, you would think that lead will evaporate quickly. Add in the Reds only having one series left in St. Louis, with the Cards having to travel to Cincy three times, and you have to like where the Reds are right now.

Based solely on the eye test the Cards look like the best team in the division, but when you analyze the numbers you would almost rather be in the Reds position.
    I'd much rather be the reds. The reds are not that far back despite a lot if injuries to some key guys, and get the cards way more at GABP the rest if the way. Plus I think the reds starting pitching success is much more likely to be maintained as a starting core than the cards, and our pen is way better. Believe me if rather see the reds sitting on top right now, but I totally agree that they aren't in a bad spot at all.

Salukifan2

That's actually not true. Go look at ESPN's mlb strength of schedules and you'll see that cincys road thus far has been one if the easiest in the league while stl has had the 3rd hardest. A lot of the teams cincy has played are supposed to he good (nats and angels) but haven't been and the majority of concys games have been at home. The only tough series cincy has played really are the two in stl.

Meanwhile after 31 games the cards have only played 12 at home. Unlike the reds they haven't gotten to play teams as bad as LAA, Miami, or Chicago twice.

Over a season sos and RPI mean nothing to me in baseball. But for a month or so I think its fine. On paper the reds schedule looked tough. In reality its been a pretty light scheduls

A lot of people have a perception of the schedule that does not line up with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I keep seeing people talk about how difficult the Reds schedule has been so far this season, but I'm not seeing the difficulty. This team has played more home games than road (16 to 14) and has the 26th highest SOS. Contrast that with the Cardinals who have the 3rd highest SOS and have played more road games than home (12 to 17). I'm not implying anything with these numbers. I'm just kind of tired of people saying the Reds have had a difficult schedule. According to the numbers, they haven't.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos
    The Cardinals have since played 2 more road games against a stronger team than the Reds faced (unless you think the Cubs are better than the Brewers).

The Cardinals lost 8 of 10 games after starting 20-11 last season. I guess we'll soon see if they're able to keep up this pace or if it is an aberration like last season.
    Last edited by Beltway; 05-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.

In baseball tough strength of schedule is a hard thing to predict. It's more of a factor of when you play a team sometimes than who the team is. Or honestly it could come down to what part of the rotation you are in compared to the other team. A lot if factors play into it.

Turn Off Ads?