Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    And don't look now, but the Cards bullpen is starting to get things figured out with the call-ups of some young talented kids in Maness and Martinez. Maness does nothing but throw strikes low in the zone and is a ground ball magnet and Martinez throws close to 100 MPH with movement and a nice breaking ball.

And by the end of the month, every Reds' fan's favorite Cardinal may be activated and placed in the bullpen... Chris Carpenter.

There was an article in the STL Post Dispatch this weekend that he's working to try and finish out the season, and he'd be placed in the pen. It would be very interesting to say the least.
    Meh. I'm not impressed.

Cards are wanna-be's.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wanna be whats?

It's not like Maness and Martinez are "just arms." Maness was the organization's pitcher of the year, and Martinez was considered one of the Birds top three or four prospects.

The only reason the Cards are up 2.5 games on us is because they've played us 6 times in StL, in 32 total games. They only get 3 more in the remaining 130.

We're fine.

I agree. Much too soon to panic. The Reds are in it for the long haul. I think the Brewers are going to fade at some point... and the Pirates will too at some point as well.

It's the Reds and Birds for the division... and whomever doesn't win it, will be in the wild card hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    That's actually not true. Go look at ESPN's mlb strength of schedules and you'll see that cincys road thus far has been one if the easiest in the league while stl has had the 3rd hardest. A lot of the teams cincy has played are supposed to he good (nats and angels) but haven't been and the majority of concys games have been at home. The only tough series cincy has played really are the two in stl.

Meanwhile after 31 games the cards have only played 12 at home. Unlike the reds they haven't gotten to play teams as bad as LAA, Miami, or Chicago twice.

Over a season sos and RPI mean nothing to me in baseball. But for a month or so I think its fine. On paper the reds schedule looked tough. In reality its been a pretty light scheduls
    It's actually the exact opposite.

Over a full season, SOS means a bunch, because everyone has played each other and the schedules even out, so team's records reflect how good they actually are.

Over one month, SOS is less than meaningless, because every teams's record is heavily influenced by their own strength of schedule. For instance, both the Angels and Nats have had a really tough schedule, so their records makes it look like they're not as good as they really are. Same with the Reds. But I'm certain that by the end of the year, the records of all three teams will be some of the best in the majors.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    The Cubs have blown 8 saves this year. Could easily by 19-12. They have not been destroyed by anybody. The Reds won the series but it could have easily gone the other way. Same with the games in Cincy.
    Easily? They've been swept 3 times in just over a month. And they still won some of those games with blown saves, so your math is wrong.

vs Cincinnati: 1-5
    vs Atlanta: 0-3
    vs Milwaukee: 1-4
    vs San Francisco: 1-3

That's getting destroyed.

The Cardinals are deep in their farm system and won't hesitate to call up a young player.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It's actually the exact opposite.

Over a full season, SOS means a bunch, because everyone has played each other and the schedules even out, so team's records reflect how good they actually are.

Over one month, SOS is less than meaningless, because every teams's record is heavily influenced by their own strength of schedule. For instance, both the Angels and Nats have had a really tough schedule, so their records makes it look like they're not as good as they really are. Same with the Reds. But I'm certain that by the end of the year, the records of all three teams will be some of the best in the majors.
    I'm a little confused. If at the end of the season the SOS all even out then doesn't that support what I said? Despite what laa and Washington's records are at the end of the season I know the reds played them when they were both scuffling.

I believe the angels are really bad, and I don't think the nats offense is very good after I saw what the cards pitchers did to them in their sweep.
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 05-07-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Meh. I'm not impressed.

Cards are wanna-be's.
    Not impressed with a kid who can top 100 and has a change up around 90 mph? Chapman has really spoiled your view of what impresses you

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Easily? They've been swept 3 times in just over a month. And they still won some of those games with blown saves, so your math is wrong.

Reds are the following:

vs Nationals: 3-4
    vs Cards: 2-4
    vs Pirates: 0-3
    vs Braves: 0-1

With the Cubs you have left out the series' against Pirates and Rangers, both good teams that they have a winning record against. I left out the Angels for the Reds b/c they are currently 11-20, not a good team. I predict they will be by the end of the year, but they are not currently. Cubs have fared well against the bottom feeders just like the Reds. They have also won a few series against some good teams, something the Reds really haven't done. Cubs record is currently skewed due to their difficult schedule. Really didn't notice how difficult it was, but just looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    I don't know what I would think right now if I was a cards fan. They have clearly looked like the best team in the division and really haven't gone through a rough stretch, yet they are still only 2.5 games up in the division.

The reds have been pretty average so far, while playing a tough schedule. The Cards schedule hasn't been easy but has not been as tough as the Reds schedule so far. When you combine the inevitable Cards rough stretch with a Reds hot stretch, you would think that lead will evaporate quickly. Add in the Reds only having one series left in St. Louis, with the Cards having to travel to Cincy three times, and you have to like where the Reds are right now.

Based solely on the eye test the Cards look like the best team in the division, but when you analyze the numbers you would almost rather be in the Reds position.
    The Cards schedule hasn't been as tough as the Reds? Are you sure about that. The Cardinals have only played 12 home games and there strength of schedule thus far has been the 3rd highest in MLB. The Reds? 21st in SOS. See link if you don't believe. I'd say the Cards made it through their toughest month of the year quite well. I would say they are loving their position right now.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post

Cubs bullpen holds up and they get a win over the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    All I can say about the Cards is they've had two of the worst teams in the past 10 years to win the World Series.

So, I agree they are lucky.
    \

I have never understood why alot of people discount that 06 team so much. Yes, on the surface 82 wins isn't great, but, that team was riddled with injuries most of the season, only to get healthy in September. It was basically the same team that had over 100 wins and the best record in the majors in 04 and 05.

That was a hell of a team over that 3 year span, and love them or hate them, those guys deserved to get a ring.

Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.
    And Reds fans have a major craw in their get me up when it comes to the Cards.

Which is as equally annoying as the Cardinals themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And Reds fans have a major craw in their get me up when it comes to the Cards.

Which is as equally annoying as the Cardinals themselves.
    If cards hold on and win today it will be courteousy of an 8th inning wild pitch. Pretty fortunate.

Turn Off Ads?