Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Re: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by ajswartz888 View Post
    As long as the October swoon that seems to bother some teams doesn't come around. I can handle a June swoon. It's that October swoon that sucks.
    Your team has clearly proved in 2011-12 that regular season did not matter much at all. Just get in there......and you always have a chance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Your team has clearly proved in 2011-12 that regular season did not matter much at all. Just get in there......and you always have a chance.
    You're absolutely right about that. I'd actually prefer it that the Cards don't finish the season with the best record in baseball. That's typically when they don't win it all. For example, that 04 team won 105 games, I believe... Unreal. And got swept by the damn BoSox.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    You're absolutely right about that. I'd actually prefer it that the Cards don't finish the season with the best record in baseball. That's typically when they don't win it all. For example, that 04 team won 105 games, I believe... Unreal. And got swept by the damn BoSox.
    The Cardinals also lost in 1985 and 2005 when they had the best record in MLB (101 and 100 wins, respectively). And in 1987, they lost to an 85 Twins team that only won because they had homefield advantage (29-52 road record that season). I suspect that if you looked over all of Cardinals history, you'd see their "luck" being pretty much neutral. They've had some pretty crappy things (bad luck) happen to them in the past, like Vince Coleman getting run over by a tarp and the Don Denkinger call in 1985.
    Last edited by Beltway; 05-18-2013 at 11:54 AM.

5. Likes:

CardsFanBob (05-18-2013),MikeThierry (05-20-2013),redhat (05-25-2013)

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    How did they prove regular season doesn't matter. The '11 team won 90 games and '12 won 88. Those are two very solid seasons. Not good enough to win the division because Milwaukee and Cindy put up great seasons but they were still good teams. Those teams faced their own adversity and persevered to make the playoffs.

If your issue is with MLB and how they run the playoff system take it up with bud selig, don't just hate on the teams that have taken advantage of it.

For the record I wish we still had an east and west and only 4 teams got I

No matter how you get in, you still have to win 11 games. And if you get in as a wildcard, you don't have home field advantage for any series (unless your league wins the farce that is the all star game).
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

I have been watching every Cards game I can and I am seeing some great baseball being played....situational hitting is what is winning them games....they are hitting when it counts and they are taking bases when they need to....not to mention their defense has not been hurting them....starting pitching is not only looking dominant but they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, throw strikes and let your defense work.....they are getting strike outs as well but I have seen more 0-2 fastballs thrown by them than any other team I have seen....the difference is when you throw that fastball down and away the batter usually hits it on the ground as opposed to Cingrani or Bronson throwing it high and it gets placed in the stands about 400 feet away.

I was thinking it was mainly luck but after watching 15 Cards games I am seeing a good team playing team baseball....pitching changes being made when they are supposed to be made and not when they are not.....NOW, lets see if those still apply in 2 months from now.....other teams could be hotter and make the Cards moves look bad, lets not forget that either.....but right now the Cardinals are playing some of the best baseball in all of MLB..

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-18-2013),redhat (05-25-2013)

Gast has 4 shutout innings for the cardinals. Looks about as unimpressive as Matt Maloney was a few years ago. Just throws slop and hitters cannot figure out to go the other way with him until at least 3 AB's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    How did they prove regular season doesn't matter. The '11 team won 90 games and '12 won 88. Those are two very solid seasons. Not good enough to win the division because Milwaukee and Cindy put up great seasons but they were still good teams. Those teams faced their own adversity and persevered to make the playoffs.

If your issue is with MLB and how they run the playoff system take it up with bud selig, don't just hate on the teams that have taken advantage of it.

For the record I wish we still had an east and west and only 4 teams got I
    I did not say anything about hating? Please.....if you're a grown man don't use this word...save it for the kids and girlies.

You're organization should send thank you cards every year to The Braves for how they got in in 2011. Hence once of the reasons for the title of this thread.

Last year your team had many injuries which derailed what would have been an even better season that you had.....so yes their perseverance should be acknowledged along with their bloody good luck.

Cards get out of bases loaded no out jam facing middle of order. Segura pops up to infield on a hanger. Braun gets ahead 3-1 and grounds into double play.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    Cards get out of bases loaded no out jam facing middle of order. Segura pops up to infield on a hanger. Braun gets ahead 3-1 and grounds into double play.
    Unreal. 1 hot..very hot hitter and then a very good hitter....and no....a rookie reliever, DO Not care how good he has looked at Double A...he is a rookie MR from Double A and that is all they can do.

The DP ball that Braun hit was in a good location but i have seen Braun still fight those off and hit them better than that.

And chapman gives up another game. That right there is why cards will win the division. Clutch vs no clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    And chapman gives up another game. That right there is why cards will win the division. Clutch vs no clutch.
    Right. Because the Cards have no blown saves this year

16. Likes:

MikeThierry (05-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bullpen is our only advantage over them. Blown saves cut into that advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True, but that guy's out for the season.

The Chief is 13 for 13.

19. Likes:

It's a long season and the Redbirds have to go back to the West Coast. Who has two California trips before Memorial Day ?

Oh well, might as well get them out of the way.

Turn Off Ads?