Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah Soccer referee punched by player dies

Utah Soccer referee punched by player dies

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51778089/

MURRAY, Utah (AP) - Police say a Utah soccer referee who was in a coma after being punched by a teenage player has died.

They say 46-year-old Ricardo Portillo of Salt Lake City died late Saturday night.

Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal says Portillo passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following an assault during a soccer game last weekend.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Utah Soccer referee punched by player dies

This is incredibly sad, and a little scary too. Players need to respect the authority of game officials, and it needs to be taught to them from their parents and coaches. That kid needs to pay for what he did, and I hope they make an example out of him.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

4. Likes:

George Anderson (05-06-2013),JayBruceFan (05-06-2013),marcshoe (05-06-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    This is incredibly sad, and a little scary too. Players need to respect the authority of game officials, and it needs to be taught to them from their parents and coaches. That kid needs to pay for what he did, and I hope they make an example out of him.
    That's a horrendous thing to say. Lets just ruin a person's existence to set an example.

I feel for everyone involved in this. I *really* doubt that kid intended to kill a person. He still needs to be punished for his actions, be let's be real here. There's no reason to throw away a young person's life over a grave mistake. Treat his anger issues, do whatever. He's already going to have to live with this for the rest of his life.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That's a horrendous thing to say. Lets just ruin a person's existence to set an example.

I feel for everyone involved in this. I *really* doubt that kid intended to kill a person. He still needs to be punished for his actions, be let's be real here. There's no reason to throw away a young person's life over a grave mistake. Treat his anger issues, do whatever. He's already going to have to live with this for the rest of his life.
    And so is that mans family. If you assault someone and they die from your assault, I don't care if you're a minor you should be in prison till your hair is grey

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    And so is that mans family. If you assault someone and they die from your assault, I don't care if you're a minor you should be in prison till your hair is grey
    Contrary to popular belief, our justice is not a tool meant for exacting revenge. So, no.

I'm not surprised by this. Unfortunately in the society we live in, it's acceptable for kids to be openly disrespectful towards officials. Parents and coaches are, why would the kids be any different? It was only a matter of time before this happened.

9. Likes:

George Anderson (05-07-2013)

Contrary to popular belief, our justice is not a tool meant for exacting revenge. So, no.
    Deterrence certainly IS part of the goal of the justice system, so he should be held out to show that you will be given a nice, long time in jail to think about your actions if you punch someone and kill them. I think a dozen years seems about right. He'd still be under 30 when he gets out. Not a bad deal for killing someone, really.

Salukifan2

No, its used for justice. Not slapping people on the wrist for what is one small step from murder.

I actually just now read the article and I'm even more disgusted than I was before. If you hit someone with a large amount of force in the side of the head it can be fatal. I don't care if he didn't mean to kill him, he certainly was trying to physically harm and in doing so ended his life. The article said he couldn't speak english, which means he is most likely an immigrant. I'm sure he, like most the immigrants before him, came here and busted his hump to make a life for his future children and grand children. In an instant all of that was taken from him by some punk ass wuss who sucker punched him in the temple.

I may have over reacted a little when i said till his hair turns grey, but if a person can receive, on average, 15 years for DUI vehicular manslaughter then this guy should receive a penalty even more stiff. He went out his way to intentionally harm another person and in doing so killed them.

Prison: 20 years. Maybe he can learn a trade.

Salukifan2

There's no reason to throw away a young person's life over a grave mistake.
    Don't do this. It wasn't society or the legal system that threw that punch. It was him. HE threw HIS life away.

13. Likes:

George Anderson (05-07-2013),Tommyjohn25 (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Deterrence certainly IS part of the goal of the justice system, so he should be held out to show that you will be given a nice, long time in jail to think about your actions if you punch someone and kill them. I think a dozen years seems about right. He'd still be under 30 when he gets out. Not a bad deal for killing someone, really.
    Agreed. And he likely will receive a manslaughter charge that will result in just that, which seems pretty fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    If parents taught their kids to respect authority when they're playing rec soccer this doesn't happen. The problem is parents are the biggest culpurate in why stuff like this happens a lot of the time and they're usually the instigator in crap that I have seen.

I'm not saying whether he should rot in jail for the next 30 years or not, because this is one of those 1 in a 1000 type situations. He hit the guy once, it's not like he waited for the ref after the game and beat him unmercifully until someone tackled him. I always am told to keep my head on a swivel but you can't keep your head up 100% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Deterrance relies upon the idea that a person is making rational decisions.

When a person is acting in a way that we as a society have deemed criminal, he's often NOT acting rationally. He's not thinking "Wow, player x got life in prison for punching a ref so I'm not going to punch this one."

I mean, is the ONLY reason anyone here doesn't go out on a murdering spree because you might face life in prison or even the death penalty? Or are there many other overriding factors that help you understand that taking a life is a very bad thing to do?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Agreed. And he likely will receive a manslaughter charge that will result in just that, which seems pretty fair to me.
    I agree. That does seem fair for what he DID actually do.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

He killed someone. Lets start with justice.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

This kid willfully and intentionally hit the referee in the head with the intent to cause physical harm. He did that to the fullest extreme. He killed a man. A husband, father, brother and friend. For that he needs to pay a debt to society. People need to know it is not OK to lash out at others in a physical manner. I am not advocating the death penalty or anything crazy, but this youngster committed a crime and took a man from his family and I don't think asking him to do hard time is "a horrendous thing to say."

He may not be a murderer, but he is a killer and should be treated as such.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

20. Likes:

jimbo (05-07-2013),redsfanmia (05-07-2013)

Turn Off Ads?