Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs Batting .284 what go into him

Stubbs Batting .284 what go into him

I just wanted to put more salt on the Jacoby "Fire" lol

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stubbs Batting .284 what go into him

I always liked Stubbs, and thought a change of scenery would do him good, 4-5 last night with game winning hit.

I agree with Cincyredway. Stubbs is talented but sometimes a player can get mired in a situation and a change works best for everyone. I hope he finally cones close to fulfilling his huge potential. In Choo the Reds certainly got an adequate return.

While that is impressive, considering what we had been used to, look at the rest of his stats:

R-9
    HR-2
    RBI-9
    SB-4

I'm really surprised he's scored 9 runs thus far. Even batting poorly for us he'd typically score when he got on base. Granted, I know that's more of a byproduct of the other 8 or 9 hitters than it is Stubbs' skillset.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    While that is impressive, considering what we had been used to, look at the rest of his stats:

R-9
    HR-2
    RBI-9
    SB-4

I'm really surprised he's scored 9 runs thus far. Even batting poorly for us he'd typically score when he got on base. Granted, I know that's more of a byproduct of the other 8 or 9 hitters than it is Stubbs' skillset.

-Matt
    Stubbs is batting 9th most of the time. That has hurt his run scoring. Overall he has been what we always hoped he could be and I'm glad to see it. I got to know him a bit when he played here and I really like the guy.

Just add Stubbs to the list of players we traded to soon. Over the winter he changed his approach at the plate, copied Austin Jackson's toe tap, shortened his swing and it seems like its working very well. I knew he would have a great year, figures. I would rather have kept Stubbs instead of Heisey. Especially since Ludwick got hurt, our line up would have been set, defense as well.

Choo
    Stubbs
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Cozart

Our defense would be solid with Choo sliding to LF and Stubbs taking over in CF, plus Cozart could be moved to the 8 spot in which he belongs.

Lets wait another 100 or so at bats. He was hitting in the .250's before his monster 4-5 Friday night. I'm not saying he'll be awful but lets not say he's totally turned the corner after one month of the year.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-04-2013)

I may have been the last passenger on the Stubbs bandwagon, but I was still ready for a change. I thought the best thing for Drew was to get out of Cincy and find a decent coach to teach him a different approach. He definitely wasn't getting that in a Reds uniform. It's too early to guess what he'll become, but I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Just add Stubbs to the list of players we traded to soon. Over the winter he changed his approach at the plate, copied Austin Jackson's toe tap, shortened his swing and it seems like its working very well. I knew he would have a great year, figures. I would rather have kept Stubbs instead of Heisey. Especially since Ludwick got hurt, our line up would have been set, defense as well.

Choo
    Stubbs
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Cozart

Our defense would be solid with Choo sliding to LF and Stubbs taking over in CF, plus Cozart could be moved to the 8 spot in which he belongs.
    You really think they'd have traded Choo for Heisey and Didi? No way in heck. And where is this long list of players the Reds traded too soon? without trading Grandal and Alonso there would be no Latos in Red. Name the other talent we've traded too soon...

Having Stubbs, Frazier, and Bruce in a lineup for a whole year would set a strikeout record. Glad he is gone.

Stat geek...and proud
    .383 BABIP. K rate still high. The odds of Stubbs bring more than a replacement level guy offensively at the end of the year are low. Almost all of his value is on D or on the bases. He'll always have a role in the big leagues until those skills erode, but the bat is horrible and one good streak won't change that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    .383 BABIP. K rate still high. The odds of Stubbs bring more than a replacement level guy offensively at the end of the year are low. Almost all of his value is on D or on the bases. He'll always have a role in the big leagues until those skills erode, but the bat is horrible and one good streak won't change that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    K's are down a little, walks up a little, so he does seem to have improved slightly.

However, at best he's probably just a 1-2 win player. I'd much rather have Choo who's at worst a 2 win player, with the upside of a 5-6 win player.

Maybe he went to a team with a real hitting coach?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Maybe he went to a team with a real hitting coach?
    Or maybe we are a month into the season. Why everyone puts such a strong emphasis on one month is beyond me. Stubbs was a reach when he was picked and one month of average play shouldn't change anyone's mind. He is outstanding defensively, and my guess is that is all he ever will be.

Stubbs got hot before the trade deadline last year, which is why I think he remained on the team for the rest of the season. After that, he finished with one of the most miserable two months to end a season in baseball history for a starter.

Hey, if he keeps it up, fantastic for him and maybe he needed a new place to play, but I'll wait for the season to play out before making up hypothetical line-ups with his name on it.

Turn Off Ads?