Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfield Defense

Outfield Defense

I now see the value of Heisey in the outfield. In the bottom of the 5th today in three plays you could see where Heisey may have saved runs.

First Xavier Paul misplays the hit to left. He took a bad route and then panicked and had to slide and luckily blocked the ball from skipping past him. Then on the pop up Choo breaks back and it falls between he and Phillips. Then Xavier Paul makes an ill-advised throw home with no chance to get Soriano allowing the hitter to advance to 2b. Give me Heisey and his sub .200 batting average in left field and I'm betting we would have saved the 3 runs this inning.

2. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (05-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Outfield Defense

Dusty agrees and quickly replaces Paul with Lutz.

5. Likes:

BCubb2003 (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Dusty agrees and quickly replaces Paul with Lutz.
    Sorry to disagree, that was a double switch to allow Lecure to pitch multiple innings. Lutz is hardly an improvement in LF, he's a first baseman by trade, with little LF experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sorry to disagree, that was a double switch to allow Lecure to pitch multiple innings. Lutz is hardly an improvement in LF, he's a first baseman by trade, with little LF experience.
    My comment was tongue in cheek Kc. He didn't pull Paul for defensive reasons. EVERY MLB outfielder was going to have problems with that wind/sun today.

The wind and sun didn't cause the poor throw from Paul. He's not a good outfielder.

It's not that it was a poor throw...it was a poor decision. I agree he's a poor outfielder, but today was kinda brutal conditions.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I now see the value of Heisey in the outfield. In the bottom of the 5th today in three plays you could see where Heisey may have saved runs.

First Xavier Paul misplays the hit to left. He took a bad route and then panicked and had to slide and luckily blocked the ball from skipping past him. Then on the pop up Choo breaks back and it falls between he and Phillips. Then Xavier Paul makes an ill-advised throw home with no chance to get Soriano allowing the hitter to advance to 2b. Give me Heisey and his sub .200 batting average in left field and I'm betting we would have saved the 3 runs this inning.
    I like Heisey's defense, but he would have had to play both positions or move back and forth to save all three of those runs.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I like Heisey's defense, but he would have had to play both positions or move back and forth to save all three of those runs.
    If Heisey were in LF and caught the ball that bounced in front of Paul, there would have been 3 outs and the ball that Choo and BP collide on never happens.

All of this is true, but, all things considered, I still don't miss Heisey. Hurry back Ludwick.

13. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-05-2013),smixsell (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    All of this is true, but, all things considered, I still don't miss Heisey. Hurry back Ludwick.
    I don't miss Heisey at all. I hope and pray Luddy is back soon and fully healthy.

15. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-05-2013)

Typical Wrigley Field issues on a wind blowing in day.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    If Heisey were in LF and caught the ball that bounced in front of Paul, there would have been 3 outs and the ball that Choo and BP collide on never happens.
    Good point. I take it back. But if he stepped on a butterfly, everything about our world would be different now.

18. Likes:

757690 (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    My comment was tongue in cheek Kc. He didn't pull Paul for defensive reasons. EVERY MLB outfielder was going to have problems with that wind/sun today.
    Sorry. Didn't pick up the sarcasm.

Lutz actually had a good game today, looked comfortable in LF, got a hit, an RBI, a steal. Nice.

20. Likes:

Mutaman (05-05-2013)

The Reds have to get Choo out of CF. I was at the game today, and on the collision play he took a good 3-4 steps back before coming in which is what caused the collision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-05-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds have to get Choo out of CF. I was at the game today, and on the collision play he took a good 3-4 steps back before coming in which is what caused the collision.
    That's not a CF issue.

24. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?