Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Didi Gregorius

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Didi Gregorius

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Why state "looking back on it" and "hindsight is 20/20." It's not like the trade was 3 years ago. The only new information gained since the trade has been the 8 games he played in. Why would hindsight change anything in anyone's mind unless you are basing it on what he has done this year? Certainly sounds like you are using his 8 games to make some sort of conclusion. Why not state "I always liked Didi more."

Everyone needs to slow down on Didi. It has been 8 freaking games. He has been injured for most of the year so far.

I like the updates, but I am definitely getting tired of people here jumping to grand conclusions based on 1 month (not just this thread) and even worse when it comes to Didi who has been hurt most of the year.
    You quoted my post...I did say I liked Didi more. Also, the hind site is based off this small sample size. I know it's a small sample, but like I said I like him more before he was traded. All Im saying is that I wished we coulda kept him over Cozart...that's all. Stop trying to over analyze what Im trying to say. Not gonna get into a pissing contest with you man. Good day!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I sure hope we don't regret trading Didi for the next ten yrs for a one yr rental (Choo)

Didi's performance in the future doesn't go hand-in-hand with the value of the trade. The Reds went out and grabbed THE best leadoff possible for our situation. You have to part with (blocked) talent to do that sometimes. Sure, it'll be bittersweet if Didi goes on to be an All-Star SS, but Choo is already an All-Star this season, IMO, and that's what we need to focus on. We always value our prospects very highly, but Didi was blocked by the organizational decision to stick with Cozart at SS, which I'm fine with.

Heck, SD has 3 former Reds' players that could end up having VERY good careers but I don't see people bemoaning that trade nearly as much.

-Matt

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Didi's performance in the future doesn't go hand-in-hand with the value of the trade. The Reds went out and grabbed THE best leadoff possible for our situation. You have to part with (blocked) talent to do that sometimes. Sure, it'll be bittersweet if Didi goes on to be an All-Star SS, but Choo is already an All-Star this season, IMO, and that's what we need to focus on. We always value our prospects very highly, but Didi was blocked by the organizational decision to stick with Cozart at SS, which I'm fine with.

Heck, SD has 3 former Reds' players that could end up having VERY good careers but I don't see people bemoaning that trade nearly as much.

-Matt
    I think that trade is easier to swallow because Latos is/was such a valuable commodity and the club has him for a cheap, extended period.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

7. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-07-2013)

If anything, I think the trade bodes well for the Reds. It shows they are willing to part with talented players to improve themselves, hopefully showing other teams they aren't out to swindle them.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post

-Matt
    The SD trade wasn't for a one yr rental.

I think Didi's future has everything to do with whether this was a good trade or not. If he is a good major league SS for the next ten yrs, was he worth one yr of Choo? I'd say if the Reds make it to the WS, yes. If they miss the playoffs altogether, no. The Reds have to be very careful about trading cheap talent for one yr fixes. We aren't the Yankees. We need cheap, younger players in order to have money to sign guys we need such as Choo or Ludwick

How do people expect to get a talent like Choo? Maybe we should have just offered Corky Miller straight up for Choo....that would have worked right?

11. Likes:

JohnnyBench (05-07-2013),remdog (06-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    How do people expect to get a talent like Choo? Maybe we should have just offered Corky Miller straight up for Choo....that would have worked right?
    Choo had very little value to the Indians. I wonder if he could have been had by offering up Cozart? Regardless as a Reds fan I'm left to wonder if my team is better served by many yrs of Didi or one yr of Choo? That remains to be seen, but this trade was a big risk on the part of Reds management

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Choo had very little value to the Indians. I wonder if he could have been had by offering up Cozart? Regardless as a Reds fan I'm left to wonder if my team is better served by many yrs of Didi or one yr of Choo? That remains to be seen, but this trade was a big risk on the part of Reds management
    The Indians didn't need a SS. The D'Backs did and they only wanted Gregorious and to get Choo that was the only way that trade was going to happen. I'm happy with Choo and if he helps bring a playoff team or better yet a world champion to Cincy then it's great. Even if he's here for one year only. If the Reds don't make the playoffs and Choo leaves and if Gregorious turns into the next Barry Larkin then we can debate this for centuries. But that's a lot iffin' and better to see how things play out at least until the end of this season before condeming or complimenting the trade.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

remdog (06-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-07-2013)

I wonder if he could have been had by offering up Cozart?
    Not one single chance.

16. Likes:

DocRed (05-07-2013),pahster (05-07-2013),remdog (06-08-2013),Tom Servo (05-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Indians didn't need a SS. The D'Backs did and they only wanted Gregorious and to get Choo that was the only way that trade was going to happen. I'm happy with Choo and if he helps bring a playoff team or better yet a world champion to Cincy then it's great. Even if he's here for one year only. If the Reds don't make the playoffs and Choo leaves and if Gregorious turns into the next Barry Larkin then we can debate this for centuries. But that's a lot iffin' and better to see how things play out at least until the end of this season before condeming or complimenting the trade.
    The key to the trade was obviously what Arizona wanted in a SS. I hadn't heard that they insisted on Didi. That's what I was wondering. You're right that it's too soon to evaluate the trade. I'm just hoping we don't regret it like we did other young players jettisoned like Josh Hamilton and Cody Ross

I sure hope we don't regret trading Didi for the next ten yrs for a one yr rental (Choo)
    Ten years?

19. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-07-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Remember, if Choo is not signed by the Reds they will likley get a 1st round pick, which certainly has great value.

21. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (06-08-2013),DocRed (05-07-2013),REDREAD (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Remember, if Choo is not signed by the Reds they will likley get a 1st round pick, which certainly has great value.
    And we got some cash in the deal right? Plus we didn't have to pay Stubbs his arb raise. There was some payroll advantage for the Reds too, if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Didn't the rules change this year to this?

"Under the terms of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the structure has changed. The old Type A and Type B designations are gone. When a player reaches free agency, his former team may make him what is known as a qualifying offer, worth the average amount of the previous season's top 125 salaries -- $13.3 million this offseason."

So to get that pick we have to offer him a contract of $13.3 million or more whatever that average amounts to.
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-07-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Turn Off Ads?