Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 106 to 111 of 111

Thread: Didi Gregorius

  1. #106
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Didi Gregorius

    Why is everyone still ignoring the fact that the Reds will get a first-round draft pick as compensation if they lose Choo after this season? I keep reading posts like "We only got a one-year rental in return for Didi." On its own, that sounds like we got fleeced.

    But the truth of the matter is the Reds are getting one year of Choo -- who is arguably the best leadoff hitter in baseball -- PLUS a first-round pick. And that's if Choo doesn't re-sign. With him coming back to earth and with him seemingly loving his time in Cincinnati, it's not out of the question that he will re-sign with the Reds. Chances are he will leave, but stranger things have happened. (I'm looking at you everyone who thought Votto would never sign a LTC here.)

    But, again, the good news is that even if he does leave, we'll get a first-round pick in return. What if that first-round pick ends up becoming a star? Then we will have gotten a year of Choo (a player that could still put us over the top this season if we can find a way to stay healthy for a change) plus a young prospect/star in exchange for Didi.

    Don't think for a minute that the Reds didn't take into consideration the fact that they would get a first-round pick as compensation if Choo left after one season before making the trade.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,276

    Re: Didi Gregorius

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    But, again, the good news is that even if he does leave, we'll get a first-round pick in return. What if that first-round pick ends up becoming a star? Then we will have gotten a year of Choo (a player that could still put us over the top this season if we can find a way to stay healthy for a change) plus a young prospect/star in exchange for Didi.
    When people have to wait 3-5 years before that player even shows up, most generally don't care.

    But, it is a good point you bring up that most often toss aside or don't even think about when talking about trading for Choo.

  4. #108
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Didi Gregorius

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When people have to wait 3-5 years before that player even shows up, most generally don't care.

    But, it is a good point you bring up that most often toss aside or don't even think about when talking about trading for Choo.
    Especially when you look at the Reds' recent track record of first-round selections, having an extra first-rounder should be far from an afterthought for Reds fans. Picking at the end of the first round obviously isn't the same as picking in the top-10, but it's still an extremely valuable pick.

    Also, another thing that is not being mentioned is that a team will have to give up a first-round pick if they sign Choo away from the Reds as a free agent, which could drive down his asking price and make him more affordable for the Reds. Course, with Boras as his agent, I do realize what I just wrote is a pipe dream. But I'm dreamin, baby.

  5. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Didi Gregorius

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Cozart is awful.
    Cozart is hardly awful.

    There was a discussion on this board, years ago, about whether you should keep prospects for the future or whether you should go for it all when you have the chance. IIRC, the consensus was that the window to win it all opens very rarely, so you go for it if you have the chance---2013 is a chance---you have to go. If you don't, you miss not a SS prospect, but a rare chance to win the World Series.

    This constant fawning over traded prospects is what the poet Rod McQuen called 'mental mastrbation'---always thinking everything will be better with someone that you don't know than it really is with someone you do know. People really need to get over it, it saves a lot of 'angst'.

    Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

  6. Likes:

    Tom Servo (06-08-2013)

  7. #110
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,301

    Re: Didi Gregorius

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Especially when you look at the Reds' recent track record of first-round selections, having an extra first-rounder should be far from an afterthought for Reds fans. Picking at the end of the first round obviously isn't the same as picking in the top-10, but it's still an extremely valuable pick.

    Also, another thing that is not being mentioned is that a team will have to give up a first-round pick if they sign Choo away from the Reds as a free agent, which could drive down his asking price and make him more affordable for the Reds. Course, with Boras as his agent, I do realize what I just wrote is a pipe dream. But I'm dreamin, baby.
    I believe that if the Reds offer Choo arbitration, and he turns it down, the Reds cannot sign Choo until midseason, not sure of the date. I could be wrong, but I made the same statement earlier, and was corrected by someone here on Redszone.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  8. #111
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,973

    Re: Didi Gregorius

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Cozart is hardly awful.

    There was a discussion on this board, years ago, about whether you should keep prospects for the future or whether you should go for it all when you have the chance. IIRC, the consensus was that the window to win it all opens very rarely, so you go for it if you have the chance---2013 is a chance---you have to go. If you don't, you miss not a SS prospect, but a rare chance to win the World Series.

    This constant fawning over traded prospects is what the poet Rod McQuen called 'mental mastrbation'---always thinking everything will be better with someone that you don't know than it really is with someone you do know. People really need to get over it, it saves a lot of 'angst'.

    Rem
    I'm still pretty glad the team chose to trade Kurt Stillwell instead of Barry Larkin.

  9. Likes:

    thatcoolguy_22 (06-08-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25