Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any concern that Billy Hamilton is nothing more than a MLB utility player?

Re: Any concern that Billy Hamilton is nothing more than a MLB utility player?

I think his upside is Herb Washington.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think his upside is Herb Washington.
    wow...that is harsh. So you basically think he is good for nothing but pinch running. If you had said his floor I might say ok...but his upside? That's crazy talk. I wanted to say idiotic but tried to be more politic. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Not any more concern than what I had before this year. He is at a new level and I would expect him to struggle probly. I've just had a gut feeling about him not panning out to be what most on here expect him to be. I would love it if he turned out to be a guy that could hit leadoff and get us 50+ steals a year, but he will have to prove it first. Before you blast me Hamilton lovers, look at my post about other players, I'm usually the positive guy, but I'm just not feeling it on this guy!!! Hope he proves me wrong tho.
    Guts are notoriously unreliable. Better to rely on facts and analysis.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    As far as I'm concerned in terms of Reds position players.........there's Votto, Choo and BP. I'd trade everyone else, non-pitcher, in a heartbeat for the right deal.

I'd kill to have more Choo's, Votto's and BP's. Guys that make good things happen.
    You really like trading don't you?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Guts are notoriously unreliable. Better to rely on facts and analysis.
    That's why I said it was a gut feeling. We all have them, when we do said player needs to prove themselves a little bit more. I'm not bashing him and I hope he proves me wrong!!!

You don't set a minor league all-time record in stolen bases without getting good at getting on base. His skillset and ability will adjust to the level he's been pushed into.

For comparison, our 3rd baseman was 26 when he was called up to the majors.

8. Likes:

BoxingRed (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If he could, he would never have been moved off of there.
    Actually, Walt said that the Reds thought he could be an good SS, but then Walt added that the Reds though he'd be an outstanding CF.

I think the trade of Stubbs (and the retention of Cozart) were big factors in the move of Billy to CF.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

It is most definitely a realistic concern. But not based on the first month of this season.

Hamilton is never going to be a power threat, so it is going to be imperative that he at least hits for average and gets on base at a good clip.

I think a better question is, will Hamilton be ready for the Show in 2014? I think there is a decent chance he won't be. Not the end of the world, but if Choo isn't resigned, it certainly will leave a big question mark for the position.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He has looked terrible at the plate this year. Until yesterday, I hadn't seen him hit the ball hard twice in the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    wow...that is harsh. So you basically think he is good for nothing but pinch running. If you had said his floor I might say ok...but his upside? That's crazy talk. I wanted to say idiotic but tried to be more politic. Really?
    Probably a little harsh and that actually is his floor, I honestly doubt he will hit enough to be a legit player.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

13. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-06-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'd kill to have more Choo's, Votto's and BP's. Guys that make good things happen.
    Well, those are all-star level players. In today's game, a team like the Reds is never going to be much more stacked than they are right now, IMO. If Ludwick doesn't look like he's going to return, I'd be all for gutting the system to get an impact LF and truly be "all in" in 2013.

it's nice to have a strong system and future, but I'll take 1 WS over 4 Division titles and 0 WS.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has looked terrible at the plate this year. Until yesterday, I hadn't seen him hit the ball hard twice in the same game.
    I never get to watch Louisville games. What's the deal with him? Is he just overmatched, or is he maybe just off to a slow start and will normalize?
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I never get to watch Louisville games. What's the deal with him? Is he just overmatched, or is he maybe just off to a slow start and will normalize?
    It could be a few different things to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It is most definitely a realistic concern. But not based on the first month of this season.

Hamilton is never going to be a power threat, so it is going to be imperative that he at least hits for average and gets on base at a good clip.

I think a better question is, will Hamilton be ready for the Show in 2014? I think there is a decent chance he won't be. Not the end of the world, but if Choo isn't resigned, it certainly will leave a big question mark for the position.
    Lots of Redzoners and it seems the Reds FO are relying on this for 2014. If he's not ready things are going to be VERY interesting and possibly VERY expensive this coming off-season.

Still a lot of time to see what happens, though.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

He's been extremely rushed.

Turn Off Ads?