Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any concern that Billy Hamilton is nothing more than a MLB utility player?

Re: Any concern that Billy Hamilton is nothing more than a MLB utility player?

I said before, the only way Choo is back with the Reds next season is if he gets scared by the Lohse situation, and takes the Reds qualifying offer. I say odds of that happening are less than 5%.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Just remember people...there was also "no chance" that the Reds could extend Votto either. And there was also "no chance" they could afford to extend Phillips too after that huge Votto contract.

I've gotten to the point that I'm not going to assume anything "can't" be done by the Reds F.O. I do, however, think that Choo will indeed opt for F.A. But the "no chance" thing...not buyin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I do, however, think that Choo will indeed opt for F.A. But the "no chance" thing...not buyin' it.
    How 'bout: don't count on it. Will you buy that?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yeppers. But if they did pull it off, I'd be happy, but not shocked. Choo does seem to be enjoying himself. How much of that has to do with his start to the season or his teammates remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I buy that. Then again, I also bought the idea that Votto and Phillips were good as gone. Walt and Bob have surprised me before -- and if Hamilton continues to tank all year, all bets are off.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Billy Hamilton has enough speed and fielding value that he is likely to be at minimum, a second division starter. Even Stubbs has accumlated major league starter value when he isnt in 250 at-bat funks.

Am I worried about his bat? Well, I was never sold on it. I am still hopeful he can continue improving his bunting and pitch recognition in order to work counts and avoid unecessary strikeouts. He's never going to be a contact guy, but if he can learn to avoid getting himself out, he's going to be a huge player.

8. Likes:

757690 (05-08-2013)

One question about Hamilton:

He's a natural righty who just started switch hitting after he got drafted. Anyone who has seen him play, can attest to the fact that he has a solid swing and approach from the right side with just enough power to make sure that pitchers pitch to him. However, his swing from the left side is seriously wanting. He has no power and it looks like a good fastball in on his hands will knock the bat right out of his hands.

With his speed, I understand the desire to make him a switch hitter. But at what point do you just concede that he's not strong enough to be a switch hitter and move him back to being simply a right handed hitter?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Choo is going to have a monster year offensively, and you can bet Borris will market him as somebody who can play CF.

B.J. Upton got 5 years/75 million with a career .750 OPS.

Choo's career OPS is 100 points north of that now, and I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't OPS .900 this year.

He's going to get paid. It wouldn't surprise me if he got 4 years/80 million or something along those lines. There's no way the Reds are going to pay that. He might even get more.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-08-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Unless of course the Reds decide they would rather have Choo than Bruce and trade Bruce. I don't see that happening, though. Nor would I want them to do that.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Unless of course the Reds decide they would rather have Choo than Bruce and trade Bruce. I don't see that happening, though. Nor would I want them to do that.
    As much as I like Bruce (and I DO like Bruce...a lot actually), I would take Choo over Bruce any day if it came down to that.

Trading a guy entering his prime for a more expensive guy leaving his prime isn't the best way to do business. Pay for future production, not past.

14. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (05-08-2013)

Also keep in mind their last two seasons before this one.

Choo:
    Age 28: .259/.344/.390/.733
    Age 29: .283/.373/.441/.815

Bruce:
    Age 24: .256/.341/.474/.814
    Age 25: .252/.327/.514/.841

I see now way dealing Bruce to hand Choo a truck load of money is a good baseball decision.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Is there any chance Choo can mitigate the cost of his contract some by being a marketable asset? He's already a fan favorite in Cincinnati.

His agent is Scott Boras. He's going to get every penny he can get.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Trading a guy entering his prime for a more expensive guy leaving his prime isn't the best way to do business. Pay for future production, not past.
    Well, if Choo continues producing this season at/near the clip he has been, then we will just have to agree to disagree. Yes, you are correct that Bruce is younger and Choo (especially seeing as his agent is Scott Boras) is, in all likelihood, going to command a ton of money. But, lets see how Bruce ends up panning out this season. If Bruce doesn't improve by a considerable amount, who is to say that he simply has not regressed, for whatever reason(s) as a player?

I'm certainly NOT ready to concede to that at this point. It is very early and we all know about Bruce's cold/hot streaks. But IF (and that is a big IF) Bruce shows little improvement overall over the course of the full season, then I just do not care that the guy is still considerably young and full of possibly more upside.

I feel like I know what Choo is and to be honest, I'm still wondering a bit about Bruce. I know what he is capable of (and what he IS at times), but that goes both ways with Bruce.

Simply put, I feel as though Choo has a solid 5 years left in the tank being the Choo that I know him to be. And if dealing Bruce and getting a decent player in return as well as the ability to sign Choo were to become a real possibility, me personally, good "baseball business" or not...sorry, but I would do it.

Unless, of course, Bruce turns things around this season and ends with some really fantastic numbers. Time will tell.

Turn Off Ads?