Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: 5/6/2013 Braves at Reds

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 5/6/2013 Braves at Reds

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    More reason to have replays. Get the calls right and you have a much better game. No reason not to have replays for these types of calls in MLB. They might be excusable but they were the wrong calls. When you have the technology to get calls right why not use it?
    I don't disagree 100%, but I just think the effect of those plays are getting blown out of proportion. They didn't change the outcome of the game. None of those plays were going to add 3-4 runs. My main objection to going to heavy replay is the speed of the game. If it could be done without the whole manager objections, ump gathering, going under the stands, standing around and waiting and then finally coming back out to decide a play that might not even have any major bearing on the game...I don't know, I just don't see it being done quickly and smoothly. Too many things already slow the game down too much. There should be a rhythm to the game, the last couple of decades, I've seen that go by the wayside quite a bit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't disagree 100%, but I just think the effect of those plays are getting blown out of proportion. They didn't change the outcome of the game. None of those plays were going to add 3-4 runs. My main objection to going to heavy replay is the speed of the game. If it could be done without the whole manager objections, ump gathering, going under the stands, standing around and waiting and then finally coming back out to decide a play that might not even have any major bearing on the game...I don't know, I just don't see it being done quickly and smoothly. Too many things already slow the game down too much. There should be a rhythm to the game, the last couple of decades, I've seen that go by the wayside quite a bit.
    You never know what will affect the game. I've seen plenty of two out rallies when absolutley nothing was going on. If that play in the 9th had been overturned then the Reds possibly could have had the base loaded and no one out. Lots more pressure in that situation than even two on and one out.
    All it would take is a 5th umpire in the booth to do replays. He would buzz down to the crew chief when he was reviewing a play and let them know if overturned or not. With the quick technology today most plays could be reviewed and determined in about a minute. Most times an argument from the manager takes longer than that unless you are Dusty Baker and never go out to argue a call anymore. Just boggles my mind that MLB won't do that. NFL and NBA use replay about as much as they can. No reason MLB can't.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

oneupper (05-07-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (05-07-2013)

You never know what will affect the game. I've seen plenty of two out rallies when absolutley nothing was going on. If that play in the 9th had been overturned then the Reds possibly could have had the base loaded and no one out. Lots more pressure in that situation than even two on and one out.
    All it would take is a 5th umpire in the booth to do replays. He would buzz down to the crew chief when he was reviewing a play and let them know if overturned or not. With the quick technology today most plays could be reviewed and determined in about a minute. Most times an argument from the manager takes longer than that unless you are Dusty Baker and never go out to argue a call anymore. Just boggles my mind that MLB won't do that. NFL and NBA use replay about as much as they can. No reason MLB can't.
    I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't happen...I just don't think it will, especially in the way you're describing it. I think, if they expand it at all, it will remain the same way it is now, argue, gather, discuss, hide under bleachers, discuss some more, emerge and announce. Too dang slow.

Reds are on a pace to win 88 games. If they could have snuck one more win in there along the way they would be on a pace to win 93 games. Right about where they should be, IMO. I don't really care who the wins come against. Cubs/Marlins or Braves/Cardinals, it's all the same the be me, as long as they gather enough of them to make the playoffs.

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't happen...I just don't think it will, especially in the way you're describing it. I think, if they expand it at all, it will remain the same way it is now, argue, gather, discuss, hide under bleachers, discuss some more, emerge and announce. Too dang slow.
    Unfortunately you are probably right. MLB moves at glacial speed to improve or get up to date on anything. The TV black out policies are a prime example.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Just think of how money more commercials they can sneak into a broadcast that way. Cha-ching!

Unfortunately you are probably right. MLB moves at glacial speed to improve or get up to date on anything. The TV black out policies are a prime example.
    Very true. However, I see hope on the horizon. When they allowed Youtube to show MLB clips and such, that was a HUGE step in the right direction IMO.

Very true. However, I see hope on the horizon. When they allowed Youtube to show MLB clips and such, that was a HUGE step in the right direction IMO.
    Yea, I was shocked when I found that out. Couldn't believe they had made a small step into the 21st century.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?