Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stanton, Headley, Fowler and the guys I'd give up for each

Threaded View

Stanton, Headley, Fowler and the guys I'd give up for each

Mods feel free to combine this with other threads....

Anyway I see all kinds of Stanton, Headley, Fowler trade ideas on here, so I decided to make a thread for all comers and give my opinions of each.

Ill start with big league players I could see the reds partings ways with. To me it more or less comes down to is this player necessary or is he a nice piece to have and is more of a want than a need. As well as piece acquired in a deal.

Mike Leake: 5th starter. Cingrani could take his place.

Cingrani: top three reasons he could go. Latos, Cueto, and Bailey. Three ace level guys already. I'd be sure of rotation health before I traded him

Todd Frazier: Averagish D. Low plate discipline and average contact skills. Great power. Could be replaced by Hannahan who has a better glove and possibly a chance at a higher obp. His power could be expendable if a 4 hitter is obtained.

Devin Mesoraco: I like the guy, but dusty doesn't seem to. Still young and has definitely plus side at a premium position. Hanigan could catch.

JJ Hoover: with Marshall broxton and chapman, Hoover is a nice piece but could be expendable in the right deal.

Homer bailey: may or may not want to stay in Cincinnati. Could become less of a need if cingrani steps up. Could bring a haul.

Johnny cueto: ace. No question. But has recent injuries. IMO has maxed out his talent and latos and bailey will surpass him in the next year or so.

Jay Bruce: I wouldn't trade Bruce unless we know we have choo locked up long term or if the player we get in return is equal or superior to jay defensively or if we had already acquired a righty power bat and it was a move to get choo out of center.

Target one Stanton: what would be a pragmatic approach to acquiring his massive power? I've seen every trade idea known to man for him. I think the best bet to go in acquiring him and not drain the farm would be a three way trade a la the choo trade where we give pieces and trade a guy to another team and maybe Miami gives them another piece and they give pieces to Miami too. I think if we started with cingrani and Mez/Frazier it'd get the marlins attention. Maybe flip Frazier/Mez Hoover or prospects to another team and see what they'd throw in towards the fish or offer those some combo of those guys and minor leaguers, probably Bham. But in reality if we didnt want to drain the minors any deal for Stanton would have to start at cingrani in my mind. When the marlins firesale they generally want pitching in return. So for Stanton some sort of three way deal or drain the minors and pray we can rebuild it. I just see him costing way too much and destroying the minor league pipeline that we've built for the past decade.

Chase Headley: my favorite target of the group. Good obp guy. Great D and switch hitter. In a perfect world I'd offer cueto straight up. Or a Frazier leake combo. But in reality neither deal would probably fly. So lets look at it two ways. First off to trade Homer or not to? If you go the homer route I'd offer straight up since they have similar contract lengths and each would be going to a more productive stadium for their given skillsets, theyd be likely to resign. So I think straight up or with a decent minor league sweetener homer could get him. So if you don't want to deal homer, you'd have to go cingrani, Frazier, maybe even Hoover and a decent minor league sweetener in my mind. Either way you're going to have to give up a starter you'd rather not want to, but then again you have to give to receive. I don't think the price would be as high as Headley as on Stanton.

Dexter Fowler: I don't think I'd go after fowler unless a right handed power bat is acquired first, or someone steps up on the team to that spot. But if one of those occurs. Offer Bruce and a Cisco, Romano, Garret or maybe corcino (pick one) level pitching prospect and I think the Rockies may go for it. Shift choo to right. I'd not trade Bruce unless I knew choo was signed long term or if a power righty bat was signed first to offset the loss in the player we were getting back played great D and got choo out of center.

On Bham: I'd try to be reluctant in trading him. He has sooo much speed. Choo is poor in center and if he steps up in AAA after a bad start he'd be a great In house option to shift choo to a corner. IMO, while I'd love to have Stanton, he'd cost too much and would handicap the outfield D.

Ok just for fun: lets go video game crazy and acquire all three.

Trade one: Homer and Frazier to SD for Headley. Team is solid after trade.

Trade two: Bruce and corcino to Colorado for Fowler. Choo to right fowler to center. Team is great after trade. Bordering unfair.

Trade Three: we drain the minor league ship minus cingrani for Stanton.

Hamilton, Stephenson, Travieso, Hrod, Lutz, you name em they go.

At that point the series may just be an after thought.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-06-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Turn Off Ads?