Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Halladay: Done?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Roy Halladay: Done?

15 day DL today with shoulder inflammation. Just heard that since last July, Halladay has the highest ERA in the big leagues (20+ starts).

Most importantly, he'll be 36 next week.

Is he done?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roy Halladay: Done?

Techinically you're not done until the Reds offer you a Minor League contract...

4. Likes:

JayBruceFan (05-06-2013),mattfeet (05-06-2013),VR (05-08-2013),WildcatFan (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Techinically you're not done until the Reds offer you a Minor League contract...

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Bowden isn't running the team anymore.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

He'll certainly be back, so he's not "done" in a literal sense. But his best days are very obviously behind him. The Phillies are in trouble, the same can be said for a number of their players.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    He'll certainly be back, so he's not "done" in a literal sense. But his best days are very obviously behind him. The Phillies are in trouble, the same can be said for a number of their players.
    your right, strikeouts are completely irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    your right, strikeouts are completely irrelevant
    I'm kind of lost...

I don't know how much of his problem is injury related but this is reminding me of the end of Jack Morris' and to a lesser extent Steve Carlton's career. I don't think he'll let himself get bounced around until he pitches for a bottom feeder (the Astros) like Carlton did but I think his career's in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm kind of lost...
    He might be talking about his k/9

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I feel for the guy. Definitely one of the greatest pitchers of the last decade.

HOFer, IMO.

Started pitching in the majors in 1999. He pitched in 2 games in 1998....most likely a September call-up or something. He started pitching a full slate of starts in 2002. Since 2002.......

2 Cy Young Awards
    Won 15+ games - 8 times
    Won 19+ games - 5 times
    Won 20+ games - 3 times
    Sub-3.00 e.r.a. - 6 times
    Lead MLB in innings pitched - 4 times
    Lead MLB in K/BB ratio - 5 times
    Lead MLB in complete games - 7 times
    Lead MLB in shutouts - 4 times
    Career WAR - 65.4
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-08-2013 at 08:42 AM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

How long has he been having shoulder problems? That is still a death knell for a lot of pitchers if there is some structural damage.

Speaking of which, there is inflammation when your arm gets chopped off, so saying he has shoulder inflammation is a meaningless catch-all phrase.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Shoulder pain is the worst.

I'm right handed and had my right shoulder completely repaired back in 2009. You wear a sling for 3 months. To this day, since I don't get professional athlete therapy and treatment, my shoulder is probably 70%-80% at best.

My left shoulder has been hurting me for probably 18 months now and I just don't feel like going through surgery again and the therapy follow-up. I have a very hard time sleeping at night. Aches all the time.

I feel for these pitchers. Atleast they get the royal treatment in terms of the highest quality surgery and therapy.

I heard a guy on Baseball Tonight a couple of nights ago (I forget who exactly now), but he said he had spoken to Halladay and that Halladay said that if he could not come back and be THE Roy Halladay and pitch to those standards, he was done.

Me personally, unfortunately for him, I DO think he is most likely done.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Phils paid $20 million last year for very mediocre, $20 million this year, and are on the hook for $20 million next year if Doc decides to try a comeback.

The take home message for me is to not overpay for older pitchers.

I agree he's probably a HoF'er- he passed the 200 win mark, and that's going to be tough for SP's to get to in the future, with the way the pitching has changed.

Partially torn rotator cuff, and frayed labrum.

Turn Off Ads?