Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roy Halladay: Done?

Re: Roy Halladay: Done?

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Partially torn rotator cuff, and frayed labrum.
    Yep. I just saw on MLB:N that Roy said the Doctor thinks he might be able to come back THIS season, which is just ludicrous, in my experience. I had rotator cuff reconstruction when I was in 2002 and a second surgery to repair a torn labrum and bicep in Nov. 2012. The second surgery was a MUCH MUCH easier recovery, but there is NO way someone can come back to throwing at a MLB level from a rotator cuff surgery the same year. I just don't see it happening.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Phils paid $20 million last year for very mediocre, $20 million this year, and are on the hook for $20 million next year if Doc decides to try a comeback.

The take home message for me is to not overpay for older pitchers.

I agree he's probably a HoF'er- he passed the 200 win mark, and that's going to be tough for SP's to get to in the future, with the way the pitching has changed.
    According to Baseball-Reference.com, Halladay's $20,000,000 option for 2014 only vests if he pitches 225 innings in 2013 and a total of 415 innings in 2012-13, along with not being on the DL at the end of the 2013 season. If that is accurate the 2014 option will not vest.
    I agree he should be in the HOF but I was surprised by how borderline hs is on a lot of measurements for that honor.
    His HOF Monitor Score is 126, significantly better than the 100 score of the average member of the HOF.
    He has a "black ink" score of 49-average is 40.
    He has a "gray ink" score of 183-average is 185.
    His HOF Standards score is 46-average is 48.
    His career WAR is 65.3-average is 72.6.
    His seven year peak WAR is 50.6-average is 50.0
    His JAWS is 58.0-average is 61.3.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

If he was released and STL signed him, he'd have a 2.85 ERA overnight. #Crossroads
    Rounding third and heading for home...

At the end of the day, not every pitcher ages gracefully. It seems the Phillies were smart not to sign him any longer than they did.

Turn Off Ads?