Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rolen, Ludwick, and Hanigan

Re: Rolen, Ludwick, and Hanigan

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is typical RedsZone typecasting and it is silly and demonstrably false.

In fact, the opposite problem exists -- many RedsZone posters are so madly in love with every prospect that they think Jay Bruce is Babe Ruth and Todd Frazier is Lou Gehrig. And they are crushed when they find out it isn't so.

When you have a wildly inconsistent lineup, with three starting hitters who are very inexperienced and a good RFer who has a history of inconsistency, the way to remedy that is boost the offense with one or two proven bats.

This is especially so since the team has lost several key veterans to injury or retirement.

So you guys can go ahead with Donald Lutz from AA filling the holes and with all the wonderful Reds prospects getting all this playing time. It's working great so far.
    You can either chide such typecasting or make your Bruce/Fraizer to Ruth/Gehrig comparison. It's not consistent nor fair to do both.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I guess I don't think comments directed at individual posters is such a nice idea. I always try to stay away from it, but I won't refrain from responding when other posters engage in it. And if humor is intended there are ways of showing that, like a simple LOL.

As for fun, this Reds' season is not fun. And when I think about it, my unhappiness is not directed at the players, but at the front office.

They are just passive in dealing with injury replacements and fixing deficiencies. They simply promote the next guy in line on the forty man roster. They seem to be tapped out of ideas.

I think today said it all. For all of Lutz' virtues - good story, nice prospect, probably a bright future - the Reds have no business hitting him with the bases loaded no outs in the second inning against the Braves. He was at the AA level before coming up.

I know Dusty likes the young man, but some fans want to win these games. Prospect development cannot be the primary motivation for a lineup.

So I think there's good reason to be unhappy with the Reds right now, to say nothing of posts directed at individual posters.
    I definitely agree on a lot of your points. The Reds haven't exactly staffed AAA particularly well for potential major league call-ups, and seemingly refuse to look outside the organization for end of the roster upgrades. Guys like Lutz probably aren't even replacement level. They could for sure do a better job of looking to get some value on the margins, which is generally a stenght of Jocketty's.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You can either chide such typecasting or make your Bruce/Fraizer to Ruth/Gehrig comparison. It's not consistent nor fair to do both.
    No, I didn't respond in kind, I didn't mention any specific poster nor did I have any in mind.

But as to the substance of the poster's comment, my point was simply that there are two sides to the coin. People can "chide" others for wanting more veterans, but should realize that the opposite is often true on RedsZone.

In terms of leadership

Ludwick - he's around at home
    Hanigan - on rehab now, but he's been around on the DL
    Rolen - retired (wanted too much $/playing time reportedly)

Izturis - veteran added to team
    Cairo - retired but still on team in coaching role

I would cede the point that Lutz/DRob don't belong on a big league roster...but things are desparate. I just don't think we have suffered as big a loss of veteraness as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If the team were full of rookies, sure. But if Brandon Phillips, Joey Votto, Choo and others aren't veteran enough with their MVP and All Star games, I just don't know what bringing in more guys simply to "teach" is going to do. If you want to bring in veterans because they are good players, I am all for it. But simply bringing them in because they can influence someone..... I just don't buy it. The Reds have one of the best hitters in the game on their team. The Reds have one of the hardest working and best defenders in the game on their team. If they aren't providing examples for other guys on how hard to work alongside with what the multitude of coaches are also doing, I just don't know what else can be done.

The Reds have two hitting coaches and two pitching coaches. They have Dusty, Spier and Cairo as well. I just don't know what else someone is going to bring to the table in a non-on-the-field-talent level.
    For the record, I agree with everything you say here and never once advocated bringing in someone just for "influence" (not sure if you were saying I was).

If you are bringing in a player, simply because he is a veteran, then he should be able to play a little bit. No more Cairo types, who could literally do nothing on the field, which is why he is a coach two years after signing a two-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I nominate this for post of this thread.

Good post.
    Thanks...I take it all back now that I know you liked it. I tend to be on the opposite spectrum as you.

Turn Off Ads?