Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Threaded View

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Reading George's posts, where essentially, the only rational argument he has is that the power trips that umpires go on is governed by the rules books, does anyone else think that the main issue is the archaic rules o MLB?

I mean, who cares about umpires? I don't.

I tune into watch baseball and the players capable of playing the game. I prefer an umpire that 100% does not intrude on the game and calls a reasonable game. Let the players show emotion, get rid of irrational rules that give the power of the game to those who can't play it.
    Yep, the best umpires are invisible, you don't even notice them.
    Unfortunately, a lot of umps have HUGE egos. They can't play the game so they want to be part of the show too. Thus they bounce at opportunities to create a confrontation where there is none, and relish the opportunity to "send a message" when it's not appropriate.

Even if the rules justify some of these actions, there's no need for the umps to be such jerks to the players to stroke their egos.

Honestly, umps have abused their power for so long, that when a player legitimately abuses an ump (like the spitting incident), not many people have sympathy for the ump.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

remdog (05-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?