Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The "age" of diva umpires

Adam Wells reacts to a confrontation between Bryce Harper and John Hirschbeck by apparently asking "if player's should just shut up and play the game, shouldn't umps just shut up and call the game?".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l%20&hpt=hp_t5

After a few more seconds of Harper talking and tossing his helmet down, Hirschbeck decided that he wanted to toss the 20-year-old out of the game just to send a message.

And if that sounds like an exaggeration, here is what Hirschbeck told the Washington Post after the game:

"I didn’t like that he put his hands up with the bat. That’s kind of what I yelled at him. He continued and threw his bat. I kind of pointed like, ‘That’s equipment.’ And then, he still continued and slammed his helmet down. That’s when I ejected him.

I was actually just being nice. Even the hands up in the air is showing me up, to me. I could have ejected him right then. I was nice enough to leave him in the game"
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-07-2013)

Turn Off Ads?