Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree this is the "age" of diva umps, if you consider the "age" to be from 1869 to 2013.
    Truth, most umpires I have encountered think they are the reason the game is being played.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-10-2013),REDREAD (05-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I think umpires tolerate a lot in regard to ball and strike calls. Batters/players say things and some make it obvious with body language that they are not happy. However, we rarely see ejections for this despite what is clearly written in the rulebook.

Now let me say a thing or two about the author of the link, Adam Wells...

A history? Hirschbeck was the umpire that was spit in the face by Roberto Alomar in 1996. A Baltimore team managed by Davey Johnson. There is that HISTORY.

Just to send a message? Really. I do not read that in Hirschbeck's comments regarding the ejection for violating rule 9.02(a). Perhaps Harper got THE MESSAGE that he violated rule 9.02(a). And perhaps his manager/coaches will send him A MESSAGE that one AB is not as important as the 3-4 add'l ABs he'll have for their team.

Me thinks Wells wants to send a message that he does not like umpires and is doing a poor job of making his point. Too bad this young journalist does not have a rule 9.02(a) that ejects him for poorly written articles.
    I can't like this one enough. I get it that fans get mad at umps. That's NEVER going to change. But players getting mad and showing it is a whole different thing. The assertions in that article are just flat out laughable.

The people that argue that MLB umps are the worst officials in professional sports...need to reevaluate that assessment. The quality of umps today compared to what it was even just 20 years ago is astounding IMO. And today's players get away with quite a bit more than they used to as well. I'm not an "umpire apologist"...I'm just not going to side with the fans and players blindly is all. The argument "just get the call right" is much easier said than done...and almost always said by someone who's never even attempted to "just get the call right" first hand.

5. Likes:

jimbo (05-07-2013)

Recently I have really liked how umpires have been issuing warnings and trying to keep players in the game as opposed to being quick tosses as they have been in years past. However my position has changed because I really think umpires need to start following the book and start dumping players immediately who break the rules and stop issuing warnings. Recently an umpire was fined albeit a paltry amount for simply trying to keep a disgruntled player in the game by attempting to difuse a situation that was starting to escalate. John Hirschbeck issued warnings to Bryce Harper when he did not need to and again he receives grief from the fans/ media types who really do not appreciate the leeway he and other umpires have been doing recently to key players in the game when there is nothing in the rule book that says they have to

I SAY NO MORE!! Start dumping the biggest stars in the biggest games again like they did in the old days and then just maybe, the badly misinformed people who think otherwise will begin to reevalauate their position.

Since the fans don't appreciate "preventive umpiring", lets go back to this, shall we???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLCCbvwk1w
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

7. Likes:

jimbo (05-07-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Recently I have really liked how umpires have been issuing warnings and trying to keep players in the game as opposed to being quick tosses as they have been in years past. However my position has changed because I really think umpires need to start following the book and start dumping players immediately who break the rules and stop issuing warnings. Recently an umpire was fined albeit a paltry amount for simply trying to keep a disgruntled player in the game by attempting to difuse a situation that was starting to escalate. John Hirschbeck issued warnings to Bryce Harper when he did not need to and again he receives grief from the fans/ media types who really do not appreciate the leeway he and other umpires have been doing recently to key players in the game when there is nothing in the rule book that says they have to

I SAY NO MORE!! Start dumping the biggest stars in the biggest games again like they did in the old days and then just maybe, the badly misinformed people who think otherwise will begin to reevalauate their position.

Since the fans don't appreciate "preventive umpiring", lets go back to this, shall we???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLCCbvwk1w
    The game is about the players, not the umps, and by the way, I fail to see how anyone is "badly misinformed".

9. Likes:

REDREAD (05-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The game is about the players, not the umps, and by the way, I fail to see how anyone is "badly misinformed".
    There is a rule book the players have to follow. The umpires job is to enforce the rules. Argue balls and strikes you get ejected. With recent events, hopefully its an automatic ejection and no warnings.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

There is a rule book the players have to follow. The umpires job is to enforce the rules. Argue balls and strikes you get ejected. With recent events, hopefully its an automatic ejection and no warnings.
    Rule 9.02(a) Comment: Players leaving their position in the field or on base, or managers or coaches leaving the bench or coaches box, to argue on BALLS AND STRIKES will not be permitted. They should be warned if they start for the plate to protest the call. If they continue, they will be ejected from the game.
    Actually, according to the rule book, arguing balls and strikes will get you a warning. Continuing after the warning to argue balls and strikes will get you ejected. So the practice you are seeing, of issuing warnings and then ejecting when the protest continues, is following the rule book.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Don't care. Change the rule book, then.

Actually, according to the rule book, arguing balls and strikes will get you a warning. Continuing after the warning to argue balls and strikes will get you ejected. So the practice you are seeing, of issuing warnings and then ejecting when the protest continues, is following the rule book.

Stop

Theres your warning. Now anything after that is an ejectable offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Don't care. Change the rule book, then.
    Ok, good point. Till then lets not harp on the guys simply doing their jobs.

Stop

Nope. Not a warning. A warning must include informing the player that if they do it again, they will get ejected.

"Stop, or you'll be ejected." Or "Consider yourself warned." Are warnings.

Anything else is just arguing.

Stop

Sounds like a pretty intentionally confrontational warning to me.

Haunted by walks

Umps need to keep the game under control, no doubt. The diva part is when they escalate or go looking for trouble.

Nope. Not a warning. A warning must include informing the player that if they do it again, they will get ejected.

"Stop, or you'll be ejected." Or "Consider yourself warned." Are warnings.

Anything else is just arguing.

Your source is what please?

Your source is what please?
    The English language.

Let's not do this again.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

21. Likes:

Always Red (05-08-2013),bigredmechanism (05-08-2013),dwyerbrg (05-08-2013),jmcclain19 (05-13-2013),Tommyjohn25 (05-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?