Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Reading George's posts, where essentially, the only rational argument he has is that the power trips that umpires go on is governed by the rules books, does anyone else think that the main issue is the archaic rules o MLB?

I mean, who cares about umpires? I don't.

I tune into watch baseball and the players capable of playing the game. I prefer an umpire that 100% does not intrude on the game and calls a reasonable game. Let the players show emotion, get rid of irrational rules that give the power of the game to those who can't play it.

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-10-2013),Edd Roush (05-08-2013),remdog (05-09-2013),Wonderful Monds (05-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Recently I have really liked how umpires have been issuing warnings and trying to keep players in the game as opposed to being quick tosses as they have been in years past. However my position has changed because I really think umpires need to start following the book and start dumping players immediately who break the rules and stop issuing warnings. Recently an umpire was fined albeit a paltry amount for simply trying to keep a disgruntled player in the game by attempting to difuse a situation that was starting to escalate. John Hirschbeck issued warnings to Bryce Harper when he did not need to and again he receives grief from the fans/ media types who really do not appreciate the leeway he and other umpires have been doing recently to key players in the game when there is nothing in the rule book that says they have to

I SAY NO MORE!! Start dumping the biggest stars in the biggest games again like they did in the old days and then just maybe, the badly misinformed people who think otherwise will begin to reevalauate their position.

Since the fans don't appreciate "preventive umpiring", lets go back to this, shall we???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLCCbvwk1w
    The problem is that these "warnings" are being issued in a confrontational manner and rather than diffusing the situation they're provoking further reaction from the players.

I've never officiated a baseball game but as an English speaking human being I can say walking toward a player exiting the field saying "throw the ball over the f*ing plate" is not the sort of phrase one uses when to diffuse a situation and keep a player in the game. Even if you omit the profanity it's still clearly an incendiary phrase which does nothing but lead to further escalation of the conflict.

The same can be said for the Harper / Hirschbeck situation. I think we can all concede that Harper handled the situation poorly but so did Hirschbeck. Say what you will, I don't know how anyone could say that an umpire throwing his hands up in the air to mock Harper's reaction, trying to stare down Harper and running down the line yelling is the sort of response one has when trying to keep a situation from escalating.

The goal of being more lenient by issuing warnings is laudable, unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

5. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-10-2013),ervinsm84 (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    The problem is that these "warnings" are being issued in a confrontational manner and rather than diffusing the situation they're provoking further reaction from the players.

I've never officiated a baseball game but as an English speaking human being I can say walking toward a player exiting the field saying "throw the ball over the f*ing plate" is not the sort of phrase one uses when to diffuse a situation and keep a player in the game. Even if you omit the profanity it's still clearly an incendiary phrase which does nothing but lead to further escalation of the conflict.

The same can be said for the Harper / Hirschbeck situation. I think we can all concede that Harper handled the situation poorly but so did Hirschbeck. Say what you will, I don't know how anyone could say that an umpire throwing his hands up in the air to mock Harper's reaction, trying to stare down Harper and running down the line yelling is the sort of response one has when trying to keep a situation from escalating.

The goal of being more lenient by issuing warnings is laudable, unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
    Years ago I got pulled over for running a red light. A cop came to my car and took my license and registration, ran it through his computer and found out I was not wanted for anything and didn't have much of a driving history. He came back to my car and told me he was going to give me a warning but then tossed my license and registration back at me and told me "next time get your ""blanking"" head out of your ass". Now I was thrilled the cop was nice enough not to give me a ticket. The cop was certainly within his right to give me a ticket because I deserved it. The cop also very well could have gave me the warning in a very nice gentleman like manner witout the rude vulgarity that he used towards me but I was a big boy and I kinda got over it because I was not stuck with having to pay a ticket. Sadly there are many people out there in todays world that would probally go ballistic on the cop or at the very least file a complaint against him for using such horrific language in their presence, even though the cop like the umpires we have been discussing was doing them a favor by not giving them a ticket.

Like I said in the post above, no more warnings. Just eject.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Years ago I got pulled over for running a red light. A cop came to my car and took my license and registration, ran it through his computer and found out I was not wanted for anything and didn't have much of a driving history. He came back to my car and told me he was going to give me a warning but then tossed my license and registration back at me and told me "next time get your ""blanking"" head out of your ass". Now I was thrilled the cop was nice enough not to give me a ticket. The cop was certainly within his right to give me a ticket because I deserved it. The cop also very well could have gave me the warning in a very nice gentleman like manner witout the rude vulgarity that he used towards me but I was a big boy and I kinda got over it because I was not stuck with having to pay a ticket. Sadly there are many people out there in todays world that would probally go ballistic on the cop or at the very least file a complaint against him for using such horrific language in their presence, even though the cop like the umpires we have been discussing was doing them a favor by not giving them a ticket.

Police officers save people's lives on an everyday basis.

Umpires prevent baseball players from showing their true emotions towards umpires.

The ridiculous metaphors can probably stop.

8. Likes:

Always Red (05-08-2013),AtomicDumpling (05-10-2013),Edd Roush (05-08-2013),ervinsm84 (05-08-2013),jmcclain19 (05-13-2013),jojo (05-08-2013),remdog (05-09-2013),Tommyjohn25 (05-08-2013),WMR (05-12-2013)

You're completely skirting over the issue that their actions are incongruous with diffusing the situation...

I've seen players get away with arguing balls and stikes more in the last few years without getting tossed. I think umps are giving them more leniency if anything.

Think back to the days of Greg Maddux getting that inside 2-seamer call on a lefty. If the batter complained or shouted, he was out of there in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Police officers save people's lives on an everyday basis.

Umpires prevent baseball players from showing their true emotions towards umpires.

The ridiculous metaphors can probably stop.
    No, the rule book stops players from showing their true emotions towards umpires.

If you don't like the rule book then make an appointment with Mr. Bud Selig to talk about getting it changed.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    You're completely skirting over the issue that their actions are incongruous with diffusing the situation...
    If you don't like the umpires actions in trying to diffuse the situation then IMO they should stop trying to diffuse the situation when they are under no obligation to do so.

Just eject with no warning. It makes things alot more simple and less complicated for the umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I've seen players get away with arguing balls and stikes more in the last few years without getting tossed. I think umps are giving them more leniency if anything.

Think back to the days of Greg Maddux getting that inside 2-seamer call on a lefty. If the batter complained or shouted, he was out of there in an instant.
    Agreed, however if MLB wants to start issuing more fines towards umpires similar to the Hallion situation then I think umpires will be quick to just toss without warning and be done with it.

If you don't like the umpires actions in trying to diffuse the situation then IMO they should stop trying to diffuse the situation when they are under no obligation to do so.

Just eject with no warning. It makes things alot more simple and less complicated for the umpire.
    They're not trying to diffuse the situation, which is the whole genesis of the problem.

They call me "chef"

Face it. The only reason every game doesn't end in a wild brawl is because there are four sheriffs on the diamond with guns drawn ready to smoke any player who even dares step out of line. Without umpires, the players would go berserk and the game would be impossible to play.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (05-08-2013)

You can't spell baseball without "u"...,, ohhhh......uhhh.....wait.....

Let's hope MLB keeps fining the umpires that overstep their bounds.
    Last edited by jojo; 05-08-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Reading George's posts, where essentially, the only rational argument he has is that the power trips that umpires go on is governed by the rules books, does anyone else think that the main issue is the archaic rules o MLB?

I mean, who cares about umpires? I don't.

I tune into watch baseball and the players capable of playing the game. I prefer an umpire that 100% does not intrude on the game and calls a reasonable game. Let the players show emotion, get rid of irrational rules that give the power of the game to those who can't play it.
    If the rule book was so sacrosanct, then why doesn't it matter concerning the strike zone????
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

19. Likes:

Always Red (05-08-2013),AtomicDumpling (05-10-2013),bigredmechanism (05-10-2013),CySeymour (05-08-2013),Edd Roush (05-08-2013),ervinsm84 (05-08-2013),REDREAD (05-08-2013),remdog (05-09-2013),RiverRat13 (05-08-2013)

Hasn't This Thread Already Been Done?

21. Likes:

George Anderson (05-08-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Don't we all. When you find that utopia, please let us all know where it is located. I am sure this fantasy world has free gasoline, no wars and no poverty. Baseball has always had "umpire controversies". One of the most famous umpires of all time, Bill Klem, even had issues with some players. I suggest you Google him up and learn about the history of the game.

Name a sport that does not penalize for TOO MUCH emotion. Baseball is unique in the the way it ejects, although other sports have ejections too. And make no mistake, players have all the power to not be ejected. It is called acting like an adult and do what is best for your team. Novel concept, isn't it? I remember a younger Joey Votto getting ejected for ball-n-strike calls. Do not see that anymore, do we? Looks like he grew out of that and perhaps realized the team needs him for the rest of the game.

23. Likes:

jimbo (05-08-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?