Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Just watch it on the darn jumbotron.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

Always Red (05-10-2013),bigredmechanism (05-16-2013),dougdirt (05-10-2013),REDREAD (05-10-2013),remdog (05-10-2013),Roy Tucker (05-10-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Also, how dumb is Bo Porter in not knowing this?
    I can excuse a rookie manager for not knowing this. Basically, he didn't know the exact wording of the rule (which included "or any substitute batter") and misinterpreted it.

But there's no excuse for an ump to not know the rule book front and cover.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=20535

Computers are better at some tasks than others. They’re awesome at, oh, adding, for instance. But if you’ve ever had to conduct a lengthy interview and look up excerpts later, you know that computers aren’t much help when it comes to transcription, at least not now—they still need humans’ help with that. Similarly, computers would be of much more help in getting certain kinds of calls correct than others. They’re very good, though far from perfect, at distinguishing between ball and strikes. But interpreting rules, determining whether they’re being adhered to, and enforcing them is an even more difficult matter

A robot ump could be programmed to sound the alarm when a pitcher is substituted, then removed from the game before throwing a pitch. But first, someone would have to tell it that the pitching change had occurred, and that the second substitution wasn’t the result of an injury. And that person would have to enter that information well before the second substitute pitcher threw his first pitch in order for the robot ump to A) recognize the incorrect ruling and B) dispatch someone else to the field to notify the meatbag umps of their mistake in time to prevent it. It’s also hard to see how a robot ump would be able to review a replay or tell whether a runner got his hand on home plate before being tagged. To keep track of the game, a robot ump would be reliant on human scorers, and human scorers make mistakes. Exchanging #robotumps for #robotscorers would only move the weak link to a longer chain.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    On what Angel Hernandez and crew saw on the Adam Rosales "double"

Hernandez, the crew chief, viewed the replays in high definition with two other umpires who helped him review the call. The feeds were the same ones that fans saw, and the umpires viewed them on 19-inch full resolution HD broadcast monitors made by Panasonic and similar to those commonly used in TV production trucks.

First off, since they got to see the same exact feeds that we did, there is no excuse. But, the fact that they are using a 19 inch monitor is an absolute joke. You can get a 40 inch, full HD tv for a few hundred bucks these days. MLB could literally spend $10,000 league wide and double the size of the TVs used for this stuff.
    What's next, no more rabbit ear antennas?

But seriously, the umps are presumably standing right smack dab in front of the screen when they review these things, so whether it's 19", 40", or 140", "no excuse" is right.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2013)

19 inch screen should be big enough. But it could be bigger. I bought a 32 inch screen for $189 last fall. So they are not that much. I tend to think Hernandez didn't want to admit he was wrong initially and felt he coud justify it by saying it was inconclusive. He probably has a big enough personality to win over the other umps that were with him.

Last nights was just stupid. Anyone should know a pitcher has to throw to one batter unless he's injured warming up. The Angels would have won that protest if they had lost. Easy case of rules misinterpretation.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

dougdirt (05-10-2013),REDREAD (05-10-2013),remdog (05-10-2013)

My first thought on the 19" monitor was "you've got to be bleeping kidding me".

Billion dollar owners and billion dollar TV contracts and they are reviewing calls on Walmart technologies? Penny-wise, dollar-foolish.

Someone shoot me now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    19 inch screen should be big enough. But it could be bigger. I bought a 32 inch screen for $189 last fall. So they are not that much. I tend to think Hernandez didn't want to admit he was wrong initially and felt he coud justify it by saying it was inconclusive. He probably has a big enough personality to win over the other umps that were with him.

Last nights was just stupid. Anyone should know a pitcher has to throw to one batter unless he's injured warming up. The Angels would have won that protest if they had lost. Easy case of rules misinterpretation.
    Outside of the Pine-tar game, I can't think of any protests that have been upheld. It's got to be a pretty rare event.

And if they did win the protest (and had lost the game obviously), would they just go back and replay the game from the point of the incident? I'd assume so.

The last successful protest was in 1986.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The last successful protest was in 1986.
    Hmm...Pine tar game was before that I'm pretty sure. Regardless, yep...pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    How do you know whether these guys are the salt of the earth or if they are unsavory characters? Do you know them peersonally. I don;t know any of these people that I see on TV whether it's a sports celebrity, a TV News person, an actor or a used car salesman. This isn't personal, but umpires, even those on this board who aren't involved or being questioned at all seem to be taking it personally.

These guys are doing a job and the discussion is about the job they are doing. They get calls worng. Big deal, Ot's always been taht way. It's the behavior that looks bad. Some may even be justified, but these guys are paod to stay above the pettiness that they may recieve from players and fans. Whne they sink to that level they are failures even if they get all the calls right IMO.
    The media and fans are the ones making this about the umpires.

If people wouldn't obsess over every 50/50, borderline call that happens, the story wouldn't be about them. People should accept that they aren't perfect and they're going to make mistakes.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I can excuse a rookie manager for not knowing this. Basically, he didn't know the exact wording of the rule (which included "or any substitute batter") and misinterpreted it.

But there's no excuse for an ump to not know the rule book front and cover.
    It's not like he's just some dufus off the street they hired. He's managed in the minors and coached in the majors. It wasn't the first time he's brought a pitcher in to face 1 batter.

If this was something like a team batting out of order or something like that, I could understand an umpire getting confused. But this is elementary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2013)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Suspended and fined.

When's the last time an entire crew was penalized in this way?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Suspended and fined.

When's the last time an entire crew was penalized in this way?
    I totally oppose this!!!

Those guys should not have been suspended but instead demoted to the minors. Sadly the umpires union will not allow it.

I have been waiting all day to hear the whole story and if these four MLB umps didnt know that rule then thats just scary.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

20. Likes:

Chip R (05-10-2013),nmculbreth (05-11-2013)

I am absolutely SHOCKED that they suspended Culberth...kudos to MLB for that. Has that ever happened before for missing calls?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I totally oppose this!!!

Those guys should not have been suspended but instead demoted to the minors. Sadly the umpires union will not allow it.

I have been waiting all day to hear the whole story and if these four MLB umps didnt know that rule then thats just scary.
    If their union doesn't like it then fire them all and start over I say....

23. Likes:

REDREAD (05-14-2013),remdog (05-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?