Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I don't think you see much of that. Doesn't mean the umpires don't have to throw the brats out of the game from time to time. I'm not sure there is enough information in either of these 2 cases to suggest as much regarding these umpires. There is a lot of inventing things that can't be seen or creating of conversations that nobody on here heard but there is very little to suggest any of what you said above happened in either instance.
    Except both umpires in question got into shouting matches after escalating a situation where a player exhibited sometype of body language that could have been ignored.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Except both umpires in question got into shouting matches after escalating a situation where a player exhibited sometype of body language that could have been ignored.
    "Shouting matches" This is your opinion based on having no audio and incomplete video, right?

Hmmm...you go to youtube and type in Bryce Harper Ejection and you get nothing about last night, but there are several other videos where he loses his mind over 3rd strike calls...gotta be the umpires...clearly they are the common denominator here...

"Shouting matches" This is your opinion based on having no audio and incomplete video, right?
    It's based upon a heated exchange between player and umpire that results in some type of ejection. Are you suggesting that's some type of a "stretch"?

Are you refuting that Hirschbeck's behavior during this incident was animated?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It's based upon a heated exchange between player and umpire that results in some type of ejection. Are you suggesting that's some type of a "stretch"?

Are you refuting that Hirschbeck's behavior during this incident was animated?
    Based on the video of Hallion, yes, it is a stretch. I can't seem to find the video of last night's "debacle." Just pointing out the obvious...Harper is a hot headed little brat when something goes against him. I like him and all, but he needs to reign it in in many instances.

Bum

For a Level Playing Field

I'm not sure there is enough information in either of these 2 cases to suggest as much regarding these umpires. There is a lot of inventing things that can't be seen or creating of conversations that nobody on here heard but there is very little to suggest any of what you said above happened in either instance.
    Oh yeah...

(1) the great writer of the article in the OP says there is a history between this umpire and Davey Johnson teams. Like that ONE incident 17 years ago when a player spit in the umpire's face. LOL (by the way the umpire forgave that player and hoped it would not hurt or delay that player's entrance into the H-of-F... to state FACTS).

(2) Tampa Bay players claim the umpire cussed. As people that love the Cincinnati team know players/managers/coaches never lie. Pete Rose told me so. LOL

Umpires play a crucial role in the game. Are they perfect? No, but neither are the players/managers/coaches. Gosh, isn't the human element just terrible? We oughta have robotic players and umpires. Build a computer into the robot catcher and it can serve two purposes, catching and making the call. Then all will be perfect while the modern thinkers Facebook and Twitter while watching computer #19 (it plays 1st base for the REDS) draw another walk.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Change the scenario to littering. I could have been busted for littering and the cop instead of writing me a ticket could have told me "pick up the blankin trash or I will write you a ticket". Now I would have been grateful that the cop let me go without writing me a ticket in that circumstance even though he used such naughty language, However there are those including many on this board and in MLB that would likely get irate or at the very least file a complaint against the cop for using naughty language even when the cop was doing them a favor and cutting them a break. If people who are in charge of enforcing rules whether they be cops, umpires or whoever only get more problems or more grief by trying to diffuse problems or issuing warnings then be done with it all and just eject right away like in the old days.
    So you are basically saying it was wrong for that ump to tell Price <paraphrased> "Throw the ball over the bleeping plate" as Price was walking away. And that Price had a right to be upset over that.
    On that, I agree.

Sorry, but when the ump blows a call (real or percieved), the player is going to be annoyed.. as long as it is just mild body language, why make a big stink over it?
    Now, I haven't seen the video clip referenced in the orginal point. I was actually going to avoid posting on this thread, until you compared a policeman getting angry at you over running a red light to an ump getting mad at a player.
    That's purely ludicrious.

Some umps have a problem realizing that they are refering a game. This is not a life and death situation like a policeman. And most policeman don't go around picking fights and trying to escalate confrontations as some (not all) umps do.
    Some umps just have a physcological need to be a god and take every opportunitity to dominate a player.. It's actually sad that their lives are so empty, that they have such a need.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Based on the video of Hallion, yes, it is a stretch. I can't seem to find the video of last night's "debacle." Just pointing out the obvious...Harper is a hot headed little brat when something goes against him. I like him and all, but he needs to reign it in in many instances.

Bum
    There's a lack of evidence that Hallion was involved in a shouting match?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Braves announcers were just talking about the umps and their switch from the big chest protector. They said with them the umpire was more in line with the heart of the plate, and the better positioning allowed them to pick up the outside strike zone easier. any ideas? is that even true?
    From game thread

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    So you are basically saying it was wrong for that ump to tell Price <paraphrased> "Throw the ball over the bleeping plate" as Price was walking away. And that Price had a right to be upset over that.
    On that, I agree.

Sorry, but when the ump blows a call (real or percieved), the player is going to be annoyed.. as long as it is just mild body language, why make a big stink over it?
    Now, I haven't seen the video clip referenced in the orginal point. I was actually going to avoid posting on this thread, until you compared a policeman getting angry at you over running a red light to an ump getting mad at a player.
    That's purely ludicrious.

Some umps have a problem realizing that they are refering a game. This is not a life and death situation like a policeman. And most policeman don't go around picking fights and trying to escalate confrontations as some (not all) umps do.
    Some umps just have a physcological need to be a god and take every opportunitity to dominate a player.. It's actually sad that their lives are so empty, that they have such a need.
    Hallion handled the thing about as well as you could handle it. I have no clue where you think I thought Price was anything but wrong in this situation.

The ump/ cop scenario is easily understandable. Please go back and read it again. Send me a PM if you still don't understand it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

There's a lack of evidence that Hallion was involved in a shouting match?
    There's a lack of evidence that he was involved in a "shouting match" with David Price, yes. Maybe he yelled: "just pitch the ball" or "just pitch the frickin' ball." But beyond that, there is no evidence that anything else occurred with Price. I am assuming a "shouting match" is more than one sentence and lasts longer than 10 seconds. Now, did he yell at the bench? Maybe. You can't tell from the video who he yelled at or what he even yelled. It's all speculation and heresay.

Bum

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

David Price was fined for his use of social media not his actions during that game. It's an important distinction because had Price not utilized social media, given the league's jutification for the fine, he would not have been fined for the incident.
    Good point. Not taking sides here, but IMO if Price hadn't gone to the media with the complaint...MLB probably wouldn't have stepped in at all on either side. But since it had escalated in the press as much as it did, MLB stepped in and diffused the situation by handing out fines.

IMO, both parties handled themselves badly and the media built it up to a nice boil.

Bum
    The whole Rays bench erupted in response to Hallion. Lots of things can be said about that incident but "there wasn't a shouting match" isn't one of them.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

The whole Rays bench erupted in response to Hallion. Lots of things can be said about that incident but "there wasn't a shouting match" isn't one of them.
    Just for the sake of argument, where are you getting the information that the whole Rays bench erupted? You don't see that on the video. Either team's feed. And more importantly, if it DID happen, what caused it? Hellickson's ejection, a curse from Hellion, Price's animation, etc?

Turn Off Ads?