Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The whole Rays bench erupted in response to Hallion. Lots of things can be said about that incident but "there wasn't a shouting match" isn't one of them.
    The above is your opinion of the situation. You have no proof of when the bench started yelling nor can you show me a shouting match anywhere in the video except where we we see David Price throwing a fit on the way to the duhout & in the dugout. Not to mention that there is no audio, so you have no idea what was even said. Every "fact" you state is just conjecture on your part based on incomplete evidence.

2. Likes:

jimbo (05-08-2013), RANDY IN INDY (05-08-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (05-09-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    The above is your opinion of the situation. You have no proof of when the bench started yelling nor can you show me a shouting match anywhere in the video except where we we see David Price throwing a fit on the way to the duhout & in the dugout. Not to mention that there is no audio, so you have no idea what was even said. Every "fact" you state is just conjecture on your part based on incomplete evidence.
    The video simply does not support your version of the Hallion episode. Heck, let's pretend there was no video of the game. A player on the Rays bench was ejected in the fracus.

You're objection about facts is not jiving with what we know happened.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Please go back and read it again. Send me a PM if you still don't understand it.
    No thanks.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This isn't really a case of a "diva" umpire but Angel Hernandez really blew a call last night in the A's- Indians game. Adam Rosales of the A's hit a game tying HR in the ninth that Hernandez called a double, ruling that it didn't clear the fence. It was a tough call, but what was bad is that Hernandez did not reverse the call even after reviewing it on instant replay, which clearly showed the ball hit in the stands on the fly and then bounced out. Announcers were saying Hernandez had blown another call on Monday.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    This isn't really a case of a "diva" umpire but Angel Hernandez really blew a call last night in the A's- Indians game. Adam Rosales of the A's hit a game tying HR in the ninth that Hernandez called a double, ruling that it didn't clear the fence. It was a tough call, but what was bad is that Hernandez did not reverse the call even after reviewing it on instant replay, which clearly showed the ball hit in the stands on the fly and then bounced out. Announcers were saying Hernandez had blown another call on Monday.
    I could see missing it in live action. Absolutely no excuse to miss it after the replay. What is the point of even having replay if we are going to miss calls like this?

Hernandez is possibly rivaling Dave Pallone as the worst umpire I have ever seen at the MLB level. He's an embarrassment to all the other umpires in the big leagues.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

How, exactly, does replay work? Does the guy that made the original call get final say on the replay call? Three umpires go into the replay area. Did all three fail to see it clear the fence on replay? And since Hernandez is not the crew chief (I believe). wouldn't the crew chief get final say? I am not sure why this is all falling on Hernandez. Even though I agree that the call was blown.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Haunted by walks

Hernandez's post-game comments were to the effect that "it wasn't conclusive on the replay we saw." It makes wonder me what kind of set-up they have back there -- a black-and-white tabletop Zenith? They should have the equipment to get this call right, if that's the issue.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    I could see missing it in live action. Absolutely no excuse to miss it after the replay. What is the point of even having replay if we are going to miss calls like this?
    This is a perfect example of why I don't see the point in going into full replay mode....it is NOT going to take the human element out of the game.

~edit~ I phrased that poorly. People who gripe for full extra replay are using the argument "just get the call right"...no matter what system they use, the human element is always going to be the final say and no amount of replay is going to stop fans from complaining about umps and calls. Yeah, that's better.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

There should be people in a center somewhere to evaluate the replays. It would be done in 1 min as soon as the manager requests it. This umpire going under the hood routine is NFL 1990 stuff...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    There should be people in a center somewhere to evaluate the replays. It would be done in 1 min as soon as the manager requests it. This umpire going under the hood routine is NFL 1990 stuff...
    That probably would be the best method....but it STILL isn't going to eliminate missed calls. It's just not. The guy in that center somewhere could just as easily blow that call too.

I just don't see it being worth slowing down the game to a crawl. Bad calls will happen, they'll even out over the long run. I'd rather we just let the umps call the game.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    That probably would be the best method....but it STILL isn't going to eliminate missed calls. It's just not. The guy in that center somewhere could just as easily blow that call too.

I just don't see it being worth slowing down the game to a crawl. Bad calls will happen, they'll even out over the long run. I'd rather we just let the umps call the game.
    If I was the MLB, i'd rather the fans be mad at some faceless person in NY watching replays than the fans focus their ire on an umpire who has a reputation for blowing those calls.

That's pretty much how the NHL works, and everyone just gets mad at "Toronto"...since that's where goal reviews are made. They're very hit or miss on getting things right. Or maybe it just seems that way as a Blue Jackets fan and the number of times we got screwed on overturns by Toronto this year.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

The game already gets slowed down to a crawl now by the arguments.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The game already gets slowed down to a crawl now by the arguments.
    I actually mostly like the current replay system. However in this instance last night there was still an argument so it really slowed the game down.

Turn Off Ads?