Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Well, yeah, because they don't have someone already sitting in front of the video monitor automatically review it, they make them waste time arguing for it first, then they make the umpires go on some silly trek to get to the video equipment, and then they have to watch it and walk back to the field again.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This is a perfect example of why I don't see the point in going into full replay mode....it is NOT going to take the human element out of the game.

~edit~ I phrased that poorly. People who gripe for full extra replay are using the argument "just get the call right"...no matter what system they use, the human element is always going to be the final say and no amount of replay is going to stop fans from complaining about umps and calls. Yeah, that's better.
    That's a good point. Replay does no good if the umps view it with a closed mind and are unwilling to reverse calls.
    They really need a seperate replay official that can override the umpires.
    Someone not in the umpires union (let them form their own union lol)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This is a perfect example of why I don't see the point in going into full replay mode....it is NOT going to take the human element out of the game.

~edit~ I phrased that poorly. People who gripe for full extra replay are using the argument "just get the call right"...no matter what system they use, the human element is always going to be the final say and no amount of replay is going to stop fans from complaining about umps and calls. Yeah, that's better.
    Perfection should never be the enemy of the good.

Replay of course won't make it perfect, nothing will. But it definitley will make the situation better. It already has.

There have been hundreds of reviewed plays already, and many have resulted in the overturning of bad calls. This one was missed, but without replay, so would all of the others that have been correctly overturned.

Even this flawed method has been extremely beneficial to MLB, resulting in the correct call being made numerous time in cases where, without replay, it wouldn't have.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

5. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-10-2013),REDREAD (05-09-2013)

Failures such as the horribly blown call on Rosales' homer are a blight upon umps already in the spot light for recent antics that have detracted from and effected games.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Perfection should never be the enemy of the good.

Replay of course won't make it perfect, nothing will. But it definitley will make the situation better. It already has.

There have been hundreds of reviewed plays already, and many have resulted in the overturning of bad calls. This one was missed, but without replay, so would all of the others that have been correctly overturned.

Even this flawed method has been extremely beneficial to MLB, resulting in the correct call being made numerous time in cases where, without replay, it wouldn't have.
    There really haven't been very many overturned HR calls at all. Most replays that I have seen have just affirmed what the umpire called anyway. I could care less about replay, but the thought that the game will still move along quickly and that replay will fix all bad calls is just false.

Bum

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    There really haven't been very many overturned HR calls at all. Most replays that I have seen have just affirmed what the umpire called anyway. I could care less about replay, but the thought that the game will still move along quickly and that replay will fix all bad calls is just false.

Bum
    Is your own personal god an umpire? Do you kneel at the alter of the umpire every night before you lay yourself to bed?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Hasn't This Thread Already Been Done?
    Yeah, but why let that get in the way of 400 more posts of dreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post

Bum
    I am not totally opposed to replay being used but it needs to be done very minimally. You know as well as I do the flow of the game is important and the last thing we need is play stoppage every other inning to have someone review a play that more often than not is right anyway. Maybe something along the lines of one challenge by a manager a game.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Yeah, but why let that get in the way of 400 more posts of dreck.
    The last thread needed shut down but I don't think it is fair to call this discussion or the last one about umpiring as "dreck". Many have chimed in and have stated they have learned alot.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am not totally opposed to replay being used but it needs to be done very minimally. You know as well as I do the flow of the game is important and the last thing we need is play stoppage every other inning to have someone review a play that more often than not is right anyway. Maybe something along the lines of one challenge by a manager a game.
    They should do what the NHL does and phone up to people specifically trained to replay analysts that have access to every imginable angle.

If replay is going to be continued to be instituted, can't have farces like the Rosales play last night by the umpires.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Just put another ump in a booth somewhere reviewing the game the whole time. Skip the challenge, just let the guy buzz in when a call needs to be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    They should do what the NHL does and phone up to people specifically trained to replay analysts that have access to every imginable angle.

If replay is going to be continued to be instituted, can't have farces like the Rosales play last night by the umpires.
    In some games there are 7-8 very close calls. Taking time to review will force a stoppage in the game. I seriously doubt MLB will head that way.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The game already gets slowed down to a crawl now by the arguments.
    I agree. But allowing replay for anything....you don't think it'll slow down even MORE? I do.

17. Likes:

George Anderson (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Well, yeah, because they don't have someone already sitting in front of the video monitor automatically review it, they make them waste time arguing for it first, then they make the umpires go on some silly trek to get to the video equipment, and then they have to watch it and walk back to the field again.
    And while that may speed up the resolution of a disputed call, it'll also happen more often if we allow replay for everything.

My point is this, I want the calls to be right too...but if your argument is to take the human element out of the equation, then replay isn't the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's a good point. Replay does no good if the umps view it with a closed mind and are unwilling to reverse calls.
    They really need a seperate replay official that can override the umpires.
    Someone not in the umpires union (let them form their own union lol)
    I don't think they're looking at the replays with a closed mind. I think they honestly thought they got the call right. IMO it was a missed call. Opinions vary, it happens. If there's no way to say that a call is 100% one way or the other, then it's a judgement call.

Turn Off Ads?