Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How about Choo votto phillips 1-2-3?

How about Choo votto phillips 1-2-3?

I know the Ludwig injury threw off the lineup.
    But wouldn't it be nice if we could have these three guys hitting in that order?
    Why is it necessary to throw Cozart, a free swinging .200 hitter to constantly kill rallies?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about Choo votto phillips 1-2-3?

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    I know the Ludwig injury threw off the lineup.
    But wouldn't it be nice if we could have these three guys hitting in that order?
    Why is it necessary to throw Cozart, a free swinging .200 hitter to constantly kill rallies?
    Ludwick being out hurts. But why not just go choo Phillips votto if we go with those three 1-2-3. Then who'd bat cleanup? Phillips looks like he'd be the only one realistically able to fill that position.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's been shown over and over again on Fox Sports Ohio that BP's best stats including batting average have come in the cleanup spot. He's currently tied for the NL rbi lead at 29 with the Mets catcher, Buck.

I would move Paul into that spot. Not looking at the numbers he appears to make good contact and doesn't hit into a lot of double plays.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    I would move Paul into that spot. Not looking at the numbers he appears to make good contact and doesn't hit into a lot of double plays.
    Paul often gives good at bats. I think I'd go Robinson. More speed. Better defense and he hasn't looked hateful at the plate. My opinion on the whole thing is that dusty just needs to pick a guy to play in left and be like you're my guy until you prove me wrong and give him most of the playing time. Like 5 out if 7 games or so. Consistentcy playing time helps. Dusty see a to like to play musical players out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Ludwick being out hurts. But why not just go choo Phillips votto if we go with those three 1-2-3. Then who'd bat cleanup? Phillips looks like he'd be the only one realistically able to fill that position.
    I guess my thought/point was regardless of positions in the order, having these three all bat in order, could be 2-3-4 slots

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Paul often gives good at bats. I think I'd go Robinson. More speed. Better defense and he hasn't looked hateful at the plate. My opinion on the whole thing is that dusty just needs to pick a guy to play in left and be like you're my guy until you prove me wrong and give him most of the playing time. Like 5 out if 7 games or so. Consistentcy playing time helps. Dusty see a to like to play musical players out there.
    I think a Paul/Robinson platoon in left is very reasonable for right now. I am ok with Paul hitting second, but prefer Robinson lower. But hey, I really don't think he'd do any worse the Cozart, so what the heck?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

If you have two .300/.400/.500 hitters in your lineup, and they are your two best hitters, I'd hit them back to back.

I agree with Choo-Votto-Phillips 1-2-3. There is no reason why Phillips would be less successful in the 3 hole as he is in the cleanup spot. If he thrives with guys on base, Choo and Votto will be on base for him.... with less outs.

I also agree with the feelings of some that the Reds should go all in this season. They need to trade for one more big bat, even if the farm system takes a hit. I don't want the success of the season dependent on Bruce and Frasier.

Personally I'd go Choo Votto Phillips then bat Mesaraco cleanup and. play him 80% of the time telling him "now or never kid". When he isn't playing I'd be sure Paul was and let him bat cleanup.

Given consistent ABs I believe Mes can hit for avg and power. For whatever reason Dusty seems to dislike him though.

11. Likes:

HDBoy (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    I guess my thought/point was regardless of positions in the order, having these three all bat in order, could be 2-3-4 slots
    I like that thought. Just more of a reason we need a cleanup hitter

13. Likes:

HDBoy (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I think a Paul/Robinson platoon in left is very reasonable for right now. I am ok with Paul hitting second, but prefer Robinson lower. But hey, I really don't think he'd do any worse the Cozart, so what the heck?
    My thoughts exactly. If he gets on he has speed too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Personally I'd go Choo Votto Phillips then bat Mesaraco cleanup and. play him 80% of the time telling him "now or never kid". When he isn't playing I'd be sure Paul was and let him bat cleanup.

Given consistent ABs I believe Mes can hit for avg and power. For whatever reason Dusty seems to dislike him though.
    Sounds like we hold the same opinion on Mez. I'd go choo Phillips votto though. But really I think either would work.

Quote Originally Posted by TitosLoveChild View Post
    If you have two .300/.400/.500 hitters in your lineup, and they are your two best hitters, I'd hit them back to back.

I agree with Choo-Votto-Phillips 1-2-3. There is no reason why Phillips would be less successful in the 3 hole as he is in the cleanup spot. If he thrives with guys on base, Choo and Votto will be on base for him.... with less outs.

I also agree with the feelings of some that the Reds should go all in this season. They need to trade for one more big bat, even if the farm system takes a hit. I don't want the success of the season dependent on Bruce and Frasier.
    I think some sort of big splash is needed. Bruce's inconsistency is putting him in a role as a secondary run producer and Frazier is an lesser version of him. We have no promises that choo will return next year. I'd be pragmatic about who I keep, but something should be done.

17. Likes:

HDBoy (05-08-2013)

On paper, I agree with this lineup change. In practice, I only make it if all 3 guys are 100% on board. It isn't worth disrupting any rhythem just for a marginal improvement in usage.

Turn Off Ads?