Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ESPN article on Choo

Re: ESPN article on Choo

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Because they're my opinions. I've never stated anything as fact. I've stated them as my opinions.

Since when did opinions have to be backed up by stats?

I live my life often going by gut feelings. And I've learned to trust my gut feelings because they turn out right more often than not.
    Couldn't disagree more... That is not how it is being portrayed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Because they're my opinions. I've never stated anything as fact. I've stated them as my opinions.

Since when did opinions have to be backed up by stats?

I live my life often going by gut feelings. And I've learned to trust my gut feelings because they turn out right more often than not.
    As Stephen Colbert says, the gut has more nerve endings than any organ in the body, so that's why he follows his gut.

Of course books disagree with that...

I greatly enjoyed reading that article on Choo. Thank you for posting it!

Don't trade Bruce.

5. Likes:

757690 (05-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'll take it as a compliment that you think I memorized that stat. It's actually pretty easy look up whether or not your eyes are telling you the truth.

But if you want to deny a cold, hard, indisputable fact and go with what your "eyes have told you", then I guess this narrative will just continue to live on.
    So in a discussion of Bruce where Vottomatic has laid out the case for several pages...and I weigh in, in agreement, and also state that stats don't tell all the story...you want me to THEN cite stats, so you can cite counter-stats, and we can get into a stat war.

I don't buy into the premise -- that stats can tell the story of Jay Bruce -- and by citing stats I'd just be furthering the premise.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Is there a RedsZone skin I can use that replaces "Jay Bruce" with "Adam Dunn" and replaces some of the poster names with SteelSD and FallsCityBeer -- I could use a trip down memory lane.

On the subject of Shin-Soo Choo, signing him to play LF and bringing up (a hopefully ship-righted offensively) Billy Hamilton to play CF as your #1 and #2 hitters seems like an awfully keen idea -- especially if you think you're going to lose 1 or both of either Homer Bailey or Mat Latos to FA anyway.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

8. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    So in a discussion of Bruce where Vottomatic has laid out the case for several pages...and I weigh in, in agreement, and also state that stats don't tell all the story...you want me to THEN cite stats, so you can cite counter-stats, and we can get into a stat war.

I don't buy into the premise -- that stats can tell the story of Jay Bruce -- and by citing stats I'd just be furthering the premise.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.
    This goes back to what Nasty Boy is saying. You're just choosing to ignore stats and agree with statements that just aren't true.

An opinion reads like this:

"I don't think Jay Bruce is going to be a clutch hitter going forward."

That is an opinion. Totally entitled to that. You can support that in many different ways, and I would have a hard time disproving that, because it's an opinion.

This is not an opinion:

"Jay Bruce lives off one hot streak, and is an offensive liability for the rest of the season" or "Jay Bruce is not a clutch hitter."

Those are just untrue statements. And can be proven out by facts.

If you're of the opinion that Jay Bruce is going to suck going forward, and that the Reds should trade him, while I can disagree with that statement, I can at least respect that as an opinion.

If you tell me that he has sucked, and is not a clutch hitter, then I'm going to point out the facts as to why the statement that was made was untrue.

10. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    This goes back to what Nasty Boy is saying. You're just choosing to ignore stats and agree with statements that just aren't true.

An opinion reads like this:

"I don't think Jay Bruce is going to be a clutch hitter going forward."

That is an opinion. Totally entitled to that. You can support that in many different ways, and I would have a hard time disproving that, because it's an opinion.

This is not an opinion:

"Jay Bruce lives off one hot streak, and is an offensive liability for the rest of the season" or "Jay Bruce is not a clutch hitter."

Those are just untrue statements. And can be proven out by facts.

If you're of the opinion that Jay Bruce is going to suck going forward, and that the Reds should trade him, while I can disagree with that statement, I can at least respect that as an opinion.

If you tell me that he has sucked, and is not a clutch hitter, then I'm going to point out the facts as to why the statement that was made was untrue.
    This statement, a mixture of fact and opinion, is really all I need to know/say.

I have watched Jay Bruce wave at far too many breaking balls in the dirt, strike out more than I can stomach, and go through weeks looking completely cluecless at the plate, than I want out of a Reds RF.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    I greatly enjoyed reading that article on Choo. Thank you for posting it!

Don't trade Bruce.
    Thanks -- I post it and go play golf to come and find it becomes a Bruce thread --
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

This thread makes my head spin
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Concerning Choo's defense:

It definitley appears that he's not comfortable in CF and isn't making ll the plays an average CF would make.

But right now, can anyone point to a game that was lost because of Choo's defense?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Concerning Choo's defense:

It definitley appears that he's not comfortable in CF and isn't making ll the plays an average CF would make.

But right now, can anyone point to a game that was lost because of Choo's defense?
    Not sure if Choo made a mistake or anything, but it could be a game or two where him not getting to a ball allowed runs to score or to eventually score.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Not sure if Choo made a mistake or anything, but it could be a game or two where him not getting to a ball allowed runs to score or to eventually score.
    His poor defense has definitely given up runs. But it seems like the Reds have won those games. Not making a statement, just asking if anyone can remember a game in which Choo's defense cost the Reds a W?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?